Passing on reloading skills

Yes, I have done this at my local range, my target club and mentored many new shooters and shown how you can either just reload to make your gun go bang for less money than factory, or to load precision ammo that costs more than factory but also out performs it by tenfold.
I see the new trend of just buying factory, because companies are very good at sprucing their new cartridges, whether fact or fiction, they get the majority believing their BS.
Shooting comps is always a learning deal, if you don't learn new techniques, try new ideas, then you're probably wasting your time…

Cheers.

My water softener quit working,and when the guy came to look at it he noticed all my reloading stuff. He asked if I could teach him. His dad had all the equipment, but passed away before he could teach him. So I told him to bring his teenage son and sat down a couple of Saturdays and taught them.

Also work with a kid that just graduated and have been teaching him.
Excellent!

Yes you are so right. And one thing they don't understand is that you aren't going to sit down for an hour and know how to perform the task.
When I teach this, I spend 2 days(12 hours) going over all the basics. Then if they are still interested, I have them over for one day (3-4 hours) and we reload some 223 and then go shoot. In all, about 16 hours of teaching. My goal is to ensure they adhere to the safety stuff and know the intricacies and caveats. Lots of book info. I usually handout copies of stuff I have found over the years is helpful.

Yes, I have done this at my local range, my target club and mentored many new shooters and shown how you can either just reload to make your gun go bang for less money than factory, or to load precision ammo that costs more than factory but also out performs it by tenfold.
I see the new trend of just buying factory, because companies are very good at sprucing their new cartridges, whether fact or fiction, they get the majority believing their BS.
Shooting comps is always a learning deal, if you don't learn new techniques, try new ideas, then you're probably wasting your time…

Cheers.
I couldn't agree more!

I am constantly on the lookout for those interested in learning. I find that unless you are immersed in something (organizations in general), it is difficult to find people outside family and friends, interested in process oriented pastimes. Why go through the trouble when I can buy a rifle and factory ammo and hit what I want?
It seems the younger generations are more distracted than ever. We have taught them to be a disposable people. We crave instant gratification and thus seem to be result driven ( I make a strong distinction between hunting animals and shooting them).
I see the same thing in fly fishing and other sports. Most want to take the path of least resistance due to time constraints and success is too often defined by harvest with little regard for stewardship.
Sorry if this seems like a rant. When I come across those interested, I will try to help them. If they take to it and are passionate about it, I glom onto them and pour into them as much as possible and usually learn a great deal from them and about myself in the process. I find that these relationships cover far more ground than the sport and turn into personal relationships that are mutually beneficial. Process people enjoy every aspect of what they do. They seem to be increasingly rare, but when found, are worthy of our time and efforts.

I firmly believe that reloading is a skill that is being lost bit by bit. It's far to easy to just go buy it new rather that attempting it. Some say, "it's the cost of getting started". There's always a cost in anything you do.

But ultimately, the skill is dwindling.

Have any of you mentored anyone? Taught classes? Showed what you know?

I'm talking about "in person" mentoring/teaching only.
Three of my friends have started into the reloading game with my guidance. None of them went very far when the dollars started to add up and it really wasn't much at all, They were using all my equipment I'm just talking components.

Three of my friends have started into the reloading game with my guidance. None of them went very far when the dollars started to add up and it really wasn't much at all, They were using all my equipment I'm just talking components.
It used to be significantly less expensive. For me, now it's about controlling what I use.

Component costs have greatly increased lately and we forget that we didn't start with the best equipment. For some, they think they need to start with the equipment a 30 year veteran has and that scares them off too.

I have given some of my old equipment away over the years to help new people get started. Garage and estate sales can have some great finds, but one has to look.

Yes you are so right. And one thing they don't understand is that you aren't going to sit down for an hour and know how to perform the task.
This is the number one barrier to get people interested. Everything seems to be like "instant coffee" to the generations today. Time is not allocated for anything. No different than fly tying. Takes time to learn the unique intricacies that yields the results expected. I also agree if you are not a detail oriented you are not likely to have the dedication to reload or tie flies.

In all the years, only had one person showed interest. Worked with him, good reloader now. A success story that I feel pretty good about. But sad, only one that ever showed solid interest.

Just give the kid an old Ruger Blackhawk, something that works and will stay together. Take em to the reloading aisle at the Scheels or the Cabela for the essentials. Read that page of instructions, in Lee's die set, the little powder scoop, all they need to start. Find e'm a Marlin, Browning, or a Winchester lever gun in same caliber, a Christmas or birthday later and they'll be hooked for life.

I taught my ex son in law to reload many years ago, and he still reloads when he is in off the road. My youngest son got started reloading with me several years ago also. When he moved to Missouri, he purchased his own reloading equipment and is still at it. I am happy with doubling the amount of reloaders in my own family, but would help any new people interested.