Passing on reloading skills

So I will be loading a 300wm and a 308, so case gauge and a turret press will be bought today!
Do yourself another favor...don't waste money on reloading manuals..... loaddata.com .......has 311,000 loads and climbing...every powder, projectile, not selling anything but their data and after years of paying for it...now it has ads to pay for it....compiled by Gun Digest!

Last edited:
I've helped one person I know get into reloading. He's a creedmore guy and wasn't down to reload for a long time due to the availability of decent factory ammo. He always said he just didn't have time to reload, " I just buy ammo and shoot"
Well, the more he shot, the more interested he became in reloading. He calls me up time to time and I see him at work occasionally and will offer advice on a particular subject or issue he's having. He's done well for no longer than he's been at it. He loads for just about all of his rifles and pistols now.

I started out at 11 years old with shotgun stuff. I liked to shoot and grandpa had all the stuff. I'd sit I the garage and pull the handle on that mec press all day. At 14 I'd started reloading for my rifles, a 300winmag and a 22-250. Over the years I've inherited all my grandfathers (from both sides) reloading equipment. I've got two rockchuckers, an rcbs Jr and a lock n load AP. Several uniflow powder measures and three or four mec shots shotshell loaders in various states of repair.

I really only use the Jr and one rockchucker and the AP now but I'm a pretty sentimental person and just can't bring myself to separate with the other stuff.

One of my cousins sons has expressed interest in loading for his 300blk bolt gun and they're into shotgun stuff. I may get the chance to help him along in this stuff and I could probably get him setup with spare equipment I'm not using. He just turned 16 though so we'll see how long he stays interested. I'm hesitant to donate the tools if they will just be forgotten and left to go to waste. Like I said, I'm overly sentimental.
I hear ya. I "donated" all my Dad's fly fishing/fly tying gear to my niece and husband because they were/are rabid fly fishers. After one year they divorced.

Can anyone recommend the best YouTube videos for a new reloader? I have bought the RCBS Plus reloading kit and plan to give it a try. I will be loading for a 308. I live in Heflin Alabama if anyone within about a 90 minute drive would be interested in doing hands on lessons. I haven't gotten the press set up yet. Still have to make room for it in the spare bedroom. Thanks

I firmly believe that reloading is a skill that is being lost bit by bit. It's far to easy to just go buy it new rather that attempting it. Some say, "it's the cost of getting started". There's always a cost in anything you do.

But ultimately, the skill is dwindling.

Have any of you mentored anyone? Taught classes? Showed what you know?

I'm talking about "in person" mentoring/teaching only.
I agree with ya completely, though my age I'm determined to gain more knowledge for myself and to pass onto others! Love the thread topic and was going to start one on reloading 270 win. Will have to read this thread first though.

I will post my journey (learning, testing, and practicing) as I go.

A non

I am constantly on the lookout for those interested in learning. I find that unless you are immersed in something (organizations in general), it is difficult to find people outside family and friends, interested in process oriented pastimes. Why go through the trouble when I can buy a rifle and factory ammo and hit what I want?
It seems the younger generations are more distracted than ever. We have taught them to be a disposable people. We crave instant gratification and thus seem to be result driven ( I make a strong distinction between hunting animals and shooting them).
I see the same thing in fly fishing and other sports. Most want to take the path of least resistance due to time constraints and success is too often defined by harvest with little regard for stewardship.
Sorry if this seems like a rant. When I come across those interested, I will try to help them. If they take to it and are passionate about it, I glom onto them and pour into them as much as possible and usually learn a great deal from them and about myself in the process. I find that these relationships cover far more ground than the sport and turn into personal relationships that are mutually beneficial. Process people enjoy every aspect of what they do. They seem to be increasingly rare, but when found, are worthy of our time and efforts.
Nicely said Tim, true, but there are the far and few between in that generation gap that can't find or reach out to the generation that does know how to reload or willing to teach. The lack of (knowledge, money, skills) or neglect to do something, in this case the younger generation is scarier than one can imagine, as they are "the future".

If you have any advice for reloading I'm all ears, well in this case eyes for reading purposes. Unless suppose we build said relationship where (granted time and distance) we can hunt or fish together one day and reload together and put two minds together.
Like a sponge, I'm just trying to soak it all in.

A non

Recent Posts