Passing on reloading skills

Reloading is not difficult. At it's most basic, a saami cartridge with factory brass available, data available, it's easier than baking good bread. You need a few more tools, but at it's core it's an absurdly easy endeavor that anyone with less than a high school math or physics course can undertake safely. Shaping brass, wildcats, and machining things to .001 or better tolerances is a whole other thing, but not really the core of reloading.

Even if you don't pass it on to your family, there will always be a plethora of modestly educated people that can pick it up without too much difficulty if they want to. The information is out there. It will never die.

I have helped a few folks get started, but as I have read through the replies interest is not super high. My sons that do hunt can get by in the reloading room, but busy lives and factory ammo (when available) seems more convenient for them. A couple of guys my age come out and use my equipment to load their hunting rounds, but that's all the shooting they do, so it's not even yearly. Personally, I do not understand folks lack of interest other than places to shoot are getting harder and harder to come by, and my guess is having to drive an hour from home and then pay for the privilege might be a hindrance as well. It's nice to be able to step out the door, walk ten steps to my bench and shoot 1-250 yards. I have to drive 300 yards to shoot out to 600, so it's a wonder I don't shoot more than I do. I try and make my place available for folks to come out and shoot, but for whatever reason only one of my friends takes me up on it much at all. And I've told them, I don't have to be here, I like the fact loud booms are sounding when I'm gone. I think it's a great deterrent to crime out here in the woods lol.

While agreeing with what is said here, my own experience was mostly self teaching, with the casual help of others in conversation at rifle matches and hanging out in the range shack, later enormously augmented by NRA & other publications on Match rifle reloading and Precision Loading. It amazes me to see how much further the bar has been raised since then, over the last 30+ years.

Perhaps we're 'round about the high water mark this art will get to, now that it's pretty clear the tide's receding in the larger world?

I share your hope that this will be passed on, while noting a major form it has taken is instructional videos...
Instructional videos have their place. However, there is no substitute for butt in the seat, in person training. Adults are much better learners when they: hear it, see it, feel it, and try it. The combination of verbal and tactile learning is without a doubt, the best way to drive home a subject thus achieving the best outcome with the fewest errors.

I have helped a few folks get started, but as I have read through the replies interest is not super high. My sons that do hunt can get by in the reloading room, but busy lives and factory ammo (when available) seems more convenient for them. A couple of guys my age come out and use my equipment to load their hunting rounds, but that's all the shooting they do, so it's not even yearly. Personally, I do not understand folks lack of interest other than places to shoot are getting harder and harder to come by, and my guess is having to drive an hour from home and then pay for the privilege might be a hindrance as well. It's nice to be able to step out the door, walk ten steps to my bench and shoot 1-250 yards. I have to drive 300 yards to shoot out to 600, so it's a wonder I don't shoot more than I do. I try and make my place available for folks to come out and shoot, but for whatever reason only one of my friends takes me up on it much at all. And I've told them, I don't have to be here, I like the fact loud booms are sounding when I'm gone. I think it's a great deterrent to crime out here in the woods lol.
My Ranch in CO is like that. I used to step off the porch and use a picnic table for my 1000 yard setup. Jump on the three wheeler and go check targets.

Do yourself another favor...don't waste money on reloading manuals..... loaddata.com .......has 311,000 loads and climbing...every powder, projectile, not selling anything but their data and after years of paying for it...now it has ads to pay for it....compiled by Gun Digest!
I disagree. The reloading manuals usually have a section in the front that educates on the process of reloading, with caveats to avoid.
This is one of their assets, in addition to the actual tables of calibers, powders, and bullet weights.
I just bought the Berger manual, and Brian Litz wrote the chapter on the reloading process, with lots of tips.

I disagree. The reloading manuals usually have a section in the front that educates on the process of reloading, with caveats to avoid.
This is one of their assets, in addition to the actual tables of calibers, powders, and bullet weights.
I just bought the Berger manual, and Brian Litz wrote the chapter on the reloading process, with lots of tips.
You can watch you tube for Free and get far more info than published in ONE BOOK with one person's opinions.....Litz however is one of the best in the industry today. See...just my opinion here! Lol....oh...and yours...that makes 2....one more than the book already! 😂

You can watch you tube for Free and get far more info than published in ONE BOOK with one person's opinions.....Litz however is one of the best in the industry today. See...just my opinion here! Lol....oh...and yours...that makes 2....one more than the book already! 😂
Skip: I have learned a lot from the You Tube videos also, as I have from this forum. But I still think one of the manuals is the best place to start learning the basics. Then a person can move on to the more advanced techniques and technical explanations.

The only problem with youtube videos is that there are no checks and balances. There's tons of bad yt video info out there, or sketchy at best. If you have been reloading for a while, you can sift out the errata. It's the newbies I'm concerned for. How will they know the difference? It's up to the experienced few of us to ensure that only sound practices get passed on. Published books of reloading data have the advantage of being vetted over time and the publisher puts their neck out there. BTW, I have Litzs' book too!

The only problem with youtube videos is that there are no checks and balances. There's tons of bad yt video info out there, or sketchy at best. If you have been reloading for a while, you can sift out the errata. It's the newbies I'm concerned for. How will they know the difference? It's up to the experienced few of us to ensure that only sound practices get passed on. Published books of reloading data have the advantage of being vetted over time and the publisher puts their neck out there. BTW, I have Litzs' book too!
Who puts out videos that you experienced guys would recommend for a beginner to learn the basics?

Who puts out videos that you experienced guys would recommend for a beginner to learn the basics?
Now understand these are only a few. Always take them with a pinch of salt. I don't care who they are, be careful.

Eric Cortina
F class John
Primal Rights
Ultimate Reloader
Bolt Action Reloading

I had good luck with these. But there are many many more. Always pay attention to the book reloading data. Don't take chances. Most all reloading books are full of very good info besides just the reloading data. Take the time to read it. My reloading library has over a dozen books at last count. I try to keep the latest version of the main ones I am currently using on hand. That way I can keep up with new stuff. Books such as, Hodgon, Berger, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, Speer, and books from the reloading equipment manufacturers are invaluable. Find someone to mentor you. Ask folks in the forums for any help in your area. Sometimes they may be closer than you think. Stay safe and have fun!

Last edited:
Now understand these are only a few. Always take them with a pinch of salt. I don't care who they are, be careful.

Eric Cortina
F class John
Primal Rights
Ultimate Reloader
Bolt Action Reloading

I had good luck with these. But there are many many more. Always pay attention to the book reloading data. Don't take chances. Most all reloading books are full of very good info besides just the reloading data. Take the time to read it. My reloading library has over a dozen books at last count. I try to keep the latest version of the main ones I am currently using on hand. That way I can keep up with new stuff. Books such as, Hodgon, Berger, Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, Speer, and books from the reloading equipment manufacturers are invaluable. Find someone to mentor you. Ask folks in the forums for any help in your area. Sometimes they may be closer than you think. Stay safe and have fun!
I would recommend you try to find someone close by who can walk you through the basics in person. That will help you make safe first loads and avoid mistakes based on overlooking some basic steps.
I typed a word document of my reloading steps, with some detail, and still refer to it with each batch of ammo that I reload. I keep a post it note with each tray and record on it the last completed step because sometimes I experience several day interruptions in the process. I would be happy to send you my word document, just so you can see what I'm talking about. Email me if you would like to see it ([email protected])

I would recommend you try to find someone close by who can walk you through the basics in person. That will help you make safe first loads and avoid mistakes based on overlooking some basic steps.
I typed a word document of my reloading steps, with some detail, and still refer to it with each batch of ammo that I reload. I keep a post it note with each tray and record on it the last completed step because sometimes I experience several day interruptions in the process. I would be happy to send you my word document, just so you can see what I'm talking about. Email me if you would like to see it ([email protected])
Please send this to "crossbow hunter". He's the one that asked the question.