Opinions on a good out of the box 308.

Not very cheap but I really love my sako trg. shooting it way past 600. My friend has a ruger heavy barrel that does very nice also.

Another vote for the Sako TRG. It is very easy to shoot well. The stock, trigger, and 60 degree bolt throw makes for a nice rifle. The 20" barrel makes for a handy package and shoots well out to 1000 yards.

TKAB

I have a Rem 700 sps varmint that I can't say enough good things about. It still has the factory trigger and stock and I have been able to get groups under .5" at 100 and have taken it to 1200 yards pretty regularly. And I paid less than 600 for it.

My friend has an fn patrol bolt also and it is outstanding. I have one in 300 wsm and it is great also

Another vote for the Sako TRG. It is very easy to shoot well. The stock, trigger, and 60 degree bolt throw makes for a nice rifle. The 20" barrel makes for a handy package and shoots well out to 1000 yards.

TKAB

+1
Sako TRG 22 26" Barrel (308,260,or 6.5), if money is not an issue.. You will not be disappointed.

I live in Alberta, Canada, so our prices are silly compared to most of you. I plunked my money down for a Browning varmint special. Heavy barrel bedded into a laminated wood stock. Shoots an moa with S&B ammo and me shaking it. I am heading to the range this afternoon to see what it will do with different ammo and off a rest.

tc venture

I have a savage model 10fcp with a 20" barrel that shoots very well, even out to 1000yds with my loads. It s a very accurate rifle. My favorite is the Sig ssg 3000. I use it for Ftr matches..the most accurate rifle I own. It's heavy..11# and cost about 1500. But if your going to shoot long range,600-1000yds, then worth every penny, imo

Ron Pierce can build you a 1000 yard bug holer for a price if money is no object or take your chassis, add a real barrel (not a factory one but a real barrel), stock and trigger and still have a 1000 yard bug holer for not too much cash.

Ron is the 308 F Class guru.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.