Opinions on a good out of the box 308.

o2bwest

I'm looking for a out of the box 308 that I can use as a 600yd plinker. I'm thinking about a Rem 700 XCR Tactical LR, Maybe a VTR Target Tactical but I'm not crazy about the triangular barrel. What else can you guys suggest?

I'm looking for a out of the box 308 that I can use as a 600yd plinker. I'm thinking about a Rem 700 XCR Tactical LR, Maybe a VTR Target Tactical but I'm not crazy about the triangular barrel. What else can you guys suggest?
tc venture

Remington 5R. Tack driver right out of the box. I have one that will shoot 5 shot ragged holes all day long with the right handload.

Yep! I have the 24" 10th Anniversary model. It shoots 1/4 MOA (or smaller) groups with handloads, a trigger swap & tune, and properly torquing the action screws to 65 inch pounds. Worst case scenario, you might have to bed the action, but that's nothing.

Savage Model 12 Precision Carbine. Comes with a threaded barrel.

A friend has that and his hitting targets at 600 yards with factory match ammo (Black Hills 168 BTHP IIRC). He initially asked me to develop a load for him but is very happy with what he's got going and currently at his personal maxed range (at least for now :cool:).

He also has an elite iron suppressor currently on the waiting period (per ATF or something like that) but should get it this summer. gun)

tc venture

They are very underrated but are quite the shooter with the 5R barrel not to mention nicely priced and the MOA accuracy guarantee.

A co-worker bought one in .270 Win last year despite having already owned an Icon in the same caliber. He liked it so much he just bought another in .300 Win Mag earlier this week. :D

Tika T3
Savage (various)
Any R700 up from the base models.
Of course for me it would be a Weatherby

I have not tried the Brownings

So many good to great out of the box in 308.

Tika T3
Savage (various)
Any R700 up from the base models.
Of course for me it would be a Weatherby

I have not tried the Brownings

So many good to great out of the box in 308.

Amen to that!

Attachments

• thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 93
They are very underrated but are quite the shooter with the 5R barrel not to mention nicely priced and the MOA accuracy guarantee.

A co-worker bought one in .270 Win last year despite having already owned an Icon in the same caliber. He liked it so much he just bought another in .300 Win Mag earlier this week. :D
its a good rifle I have one in 06 I got moa with factory ammo (cheap stuff) and sub moa with fed gold medal match, and clover leafs with hand loads, I haven't done anything to it but installed a scope and barrel break in. I wish I could get my trigger below 3.5# but its ok I was thinking of bedding the action to see if I can get a little more out of her I've been running 200gr.smks in her thinking it could use a tightening up at the recoil lug....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.