Not Happy With Berger Performance

The Berger did exactly what Bergers are designed to do.

IMO lead fragments in meat is blown WAY out of proportion. We've been eating animals killed with lead bullets since the evolution of modern firearms. I can't say I can recall any documented cases of lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead bullets.

If you are genuinely concerned about it use a less violent cup and core bullet like an Accubond, Ballistic Tip or Nosler partition.

The best compromise bullet in my experience has been the Federal Terminal Ascent, but they are almost impossible to find.

The Berger did exactly what Bergers are designed to do.

IMO lead fragments in meat is blown WAY out of proportion. We've been eating animals killed with lead bullets since the evolution of modern firearms. I can't say I can recall any documented cases of lead poisoning from eating game shot with lead bullets.

If you are genuinely concerned about it use a less violent cup and core bullet like an Accubond, Ballistic Tip or Nosler partition.

The best compromise bullet in my experience has been the Federal Terminal Ascent, but they are almost impossible to find.
Yep!

The problem with the monolithic bullets in the same weight class is they are longer and require a faster twist than the 1:9.25 of my Remington. I have some thinking to do.
I'd recommend you drop down in weight class when going to a mono.
You'll get the results your after.

Run em Fast !!

For your twist I'd recommend:

Apex Afterburner .284" (7mm) - 117 gr.
Or
Hammer HHT 118gr or 132gr.

Last edited:
There is no right answer. Just decide what type of performance you want.

I shot barnes for many years and was always very happy with terminal performance and only changed brands because of availability problems. I will always shoot mono bullets

If you like the performance of Berger's then shoot them

The problem with the monolithic bullets in the same weight class is they are longer and require a faster twist than the 1:9.25 of my Remington. I have some thinking to do.
It was mentioned earlier but maybe not as frank, mono bullets like velocity! Load the heaviest you can for your twist (or lighter) and get them going as fast as you can. That's one benefit especially at closer ranges with a mono bullet is their acceptance to velocity and rpm. Both have their benefits for terminal performance. I'd recommend a fragmenting mono so you get kind of a best of both worlds ability from it. 3300+fps is where those bullets like to be.

I made the switch a few years ago to solids. Pva bullets and hammers but pva shot better and was super impressed with performance and not worrying about meat loss. This year I got messed up and just been hunting with my target rifle that weighs 24 pounds haha 30 nosler shooting the berger 220 lrht bullets. Shot a doe antelope at 420 and couldn't ask for a better performance from a bullet antelope dropped in a blink of an eye no meat loss. My buck deer was at around 80ish maybe 90 yards I didn't use the rangfinder because he was so close. Shot him behind shoulder at an angle and he went maybe 10 yards if that. Great performance but like yours I found the main bullet and small pieces on back side ribs but exploded in animal working great. I did lose some meat on front shoulder not all bullet fault because I placed it to close I take blame. But for a high explosive bullet at that range I was super impressed and starting to love these bullets. I go bull elk hunting November 22 and using same bullet. I'm fully confident in it and usually where I hunt I shoot 300 to 800 yards

I spent all summer working up a load for my Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag and achieved sub-MOA, which makes me happy. I was drawn for mule deer in the unit where I live so I literally walk out my back door and start hunting, which also makes me happy. On the second to last day of the season, a medium mule deer stayed in one spot long enough for me to get a shot at him at 75 yards, so it seemed God was smiling at me. The buck dropped like a ton of bricks in an area that made it easy to drag him back to where I could get a cart to him, so another win!
I became unhappy when I started processing it. The bullet shredded a lung, which is great and I found the base of the bullet against the far side rib cage. But, parts of the bullet angled upward and shredded the center of both backstraps with tiny bits of lead! That is so frustrating! At this point, I want to go to a monolithic bullet made of copper or copper/zinc. I have a year to get things worked up again.
Berger's are great bullets for instance explosive results. Just realize if you're hunting for meat you want to consume. Berger's aren't my first choice unless your wanting bloody hamburger. Several antelope, deer and elk punched through the shoulders have resulted in useless shredded meat. Bullet placement is critical. There are better bullets that are just as accurate and when the shot is place behind the shoulder and into the lungs our harvest is edible.

I too wanted a bullet to stay together and have an entry and exit hole so years ago I stopped using my Bergers and went completely with Nosler Accubond bullets or Nosler Partitions and if Hornady ever starts re-making the Interbond bullet I will buy and use them ahead of all other bonded bullets.Just my opinion
Yup, agree,.. BEST Mushroom, I've EVER Seen and, lots of Bullet Weight, "remaining" after, Impact,.. Sadly, NOT "Cheap", tho !
HOWEVER, they needed, SERIOUS "Tuning",.. in My 7mm Rem Mag for them, to Be,.. accurate ( Found .010 to .015 "Off" Jam, was best ! ).
Berger, Classic Hunters / Elites, are MUCH Easier to get, great Accuracy for those, Longer Distance, shots !
I also LIKE,. DRT with, NO,. Tracking and NO Exit is, FINE with Me !
6.5 or, .270 cal, 140 grain, Classic's / Elites at, 3,100 to 3,200 FPS, Kill Deer/ Elk,.. "like, the Hammer of Thor" at, reasonable ranges !

Having Shot Elk with, BOTH,.. AccuBonds and Berger's, I can tell you, THIS,..
Somebody else, back East, OWNS ALL of,.. my AccuBonds !
I'll "Deal" with, a FEW,.. "Fragment's" vs an Elk,.. "walking around" for, a couple of,.. Extra Minutes !

Last edited:
I started loading Berger 168 VLDs for my custom 280ai last year because that is what it shot the best.
Shot a muley buck behind the shoulder last year, dropped/died so fast that it had a quarter sized blood spot under the wound where it died in it's footprints.

Killed a large bull elk at 430 yrds a few weeks ago. High lung hit and he dropped in his tracks.

Killed a large muley buck a few weeks ago. Hit through shoulder blades. He slowly walked about 15 yds at the shot, then tipped over.

The Bergers can be messy for sure. I advise staying off of major bone. In my limited experience with them, they kill quickly.

My sweetheart bullet is the Nosler Accubond, but the Bergers nudged the NAB out on accuracy with this particular rifle.

I think my next build we be a 7mm of some flavor built around that 168 Berger. That bullet hammers game. It was said perviously and I'll say it again. I'd rather find all the meat with some blood shot because I didn't put the bullet through the ribs or behind the shoulder than not finding it at all.