Not Happy With Berger Performance

Cholla

I spent all summer working up a load for my Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag and achieved sub-MOA, which makes me happy. I was drawn for mule deer in the unit where I live so I literally walk out my back door and start hunting, which also makes me happy. On the second to last day of the season, a medium mule deer stayed in one spot long enough for me to get a shot at him at 75 yards, so it seemed God was smiling at me. The buck dropped like a ton of bricks in an area that made it easy to drag him back to where I could get a cart to him, so another win!
I became unhappy when I started processing it. The bullet shredded a lung, which is great and I found the base of the bullet against the far side rib cage. But, parts of the bullet angled upward and shredded the center of both backstraps with tiny bits of lead! That is so frustrating! At this point, I want to go to a monolithic bullet made of copper or copper/zinc. I have a year to get things worked up again.

168 Grain VLD Hunting.

He's not what I dream about but he was an answer to my prayers.

1699206460026.png

There is,.. NO "Perfect" Bullet for ALL,.. Calibers, Ranges, Animals and,.. Velocities,.. SORRY to be, the Bearer of, Bad, News !
Most Berger's, Driven FAST, Kill chit, very QUICKLY ( Scrambles, the insides ) with, good bullet, "Placement" !
Yup, you might have to track down, a Copper Fragment or, two, but RARELY, do you have to,. "Track" the Animal !
It AIN'T,.. a "Perfect" World ! Nice, eating sized,. Buck,.. congrats !

Last edited:
I get that you're expressing your hunt and how you want a bullet to perform differently, but the title is total bait click, which is typical with bergers. Bullet performed flawlessly, but you're looking for something less explosive.

Personally I'd sacrifice some meat if the buck dies within eyesight every time.

Last edited:
This is all that was left of a 140 hunting VLD fired from a 6.5x284 at 3,020fps and hitting a 170 lb deer in the heart/lungs at just under 600 yards. Jacket was on the off side hide with no exit and it went between ribs on the entrance. I Think it worked as the deer dropped on the spot, although I do like an exit.
berg1.jpg
berg2.jpg