No semi's for big game.

Well our friend here really isn't offering up the full picture.
First off, unlike most other states, the polititions don't control the game commission in PA.
So just because the legislature and governor approves, the game commission isn't bound by that.
Make no mistake, there are swamps in every capitol of every state, not just in DC.
Pa is and has always been among the leading states as for hunting license sales, so that means something has been being done right.

I can assure you that the fact that PA is a leader of licenses sold has more to do with habitat and very little to do with the restrictive laws that the state inflicts.

For God's sake you can't even hunt on Sundays!!! No semi's... I can jack my 870 nearly as fast as an 1100 can run, is that next?

I can assure you that the fact that PA is a leader of licenses sold has more to do with habitat and very little to do with the restrictive laws that the state inflicts.

For God's sake you can't even hunt on Sundays!!! No semi's... I can jack my 870 nearly as fast as an 1100 can run, is that next?

You can't hunt on sundays?!?!?

Are you allowed to accidentally hit a deer with your car on a Sunday in PA. or is there a law against that too?

Are you allowed to accidentally hit a deer with your car on a Sunday in PA. or is there a law against that too?

LOL, no law against that yet, jeezz, if you hit a deer with your vehicle, you have to report it to a Game Commission officer and you better not be in any hurry because they take their good old sweet time about checking it out.

LOL, no law against that yet, jeezz, if you hit a deer with your vehicle, you have to report it to a Game Commission officer and you better not be in any hurry because they take their good old sweet time about checking it out.

In Wisconsin you used to have to wait for a sheriff to get to the scene to issue a tag, now you just call it in and your good to go. On any day...

In Wisconsin you used to have to wait for a sheriff to get to the scene to issue a tag, now you just call it in and your good to go. On any day...

Yep, that might be the way it is here too, now, I'm not exactly clear on that but you still have to report it.
Some years ago a friend of mine hit a deer at night and went to a bar down the road and called the game commission office for the area and was told to go back to where the deer was hit and wait for him. About an hour and half later he showed up.

Well your wrong on that point also Waynzee.
A friend of mine hit a decent buck with his pickup on opening morning a few years back and all he did was gut it, tag it, then call the warden. He was told he could either keep it or turn it in and go hunt another one. He chose to keep it.
Fact is license sales have dropped significantly in all states, including those allowing sunday hunting, and the use of ARs for hunting. So again your argument is all about what you want, and little to do with actual facts.
I don't remember exactly how long ago it was, but no doubt over 10 years now the PGC legalized cross bows for handicap hunters in PA.
Well within about 3 years the numbers of handicap hunters skyrocketed because of all the serious back issues everybody wanting a cross bow had developed, and all it took was a letter from a friendly doctor.
So now anybody can have a cross bow, which in essence gives them about a 6 week
head start with a rifle type device before the actual rifle season begins.
The buck kill numbers by (ARCHERY) hunters has risen so drasticly as a result of this that even the liberal PGC is concerned over it.
They now also have 9 days to harvest a bear, when average rifle hunters get 3, or excuse me it might now be 4 I'm not sure, but that due to them caving on the opening day now being on a Sat. instead of Monday.
And in some areas, it still remains open into the rifle buck season.
They have also reset the doe season so that you can shoot both buck and doe during
the whole second week of the buck season. And I'm not sure since ours is a bucks only
camp, and yes that goes even for the young kids, but the doe season might actually start now on the first Saturday of buck. But again I'm not certain, and frankly I don't even care.
So the fact is that over the years the PGC has complied with hunter demands in quite a few areas. But they will never be off the hook completely by some groups of hunters regardless of what they do or don't do.
I do know this much, this year due to personal issues, I didn't arrive at our camp until
Wed. evening of the first week of buck season. Holy week if you will in PA for my entire life and long before that. A place where schools would be closed statewide for the first 3 days of buck season when I was in school.
Yet at least 8 out of 10 camps in one of the premier regions of the state were in total darkness.
Many never get opened at all any more during the entire fall hunting seasons.
Regardless of what people like Waynzee here are shouting about, it has nothing to do
with hunting and the diminishing lack of interest among a growing number of young people.
Hang on folks, it wont be over after the present hurdles have been conquered.
We will then be arguing over sending drones out scouting for us, so that we have more
beer time and less wasted time looking for a deer to whack with our ARs.
Don't laugh.

I used to think America was a free country!

Should it be free enough to allow me to drive a Corvette 120 mph on an interstate, if I own a Corvette, and I'm also an exceptionally good driver?
Should I be permitted to toss an M80 into a trout stream, and then just gather up my limit of fish? I mean if I buy a license, I'm entitled to my limit of fish, right?
Or should we only be free to the degree that it suits you? or maybe me? How about me and a few others who agree with me? How about I agree you get to pick most things, but I get to pick maybe 2 things?
Sounds silly dosent it?
For twenty five measly bucks a year, almost endless seasons, and many millions of acres of (public land) to hunt on in a very populated state, (did you get that last part?)
PA hunters have very little reason to be griping over anything.
Except maybe the lousey weather, and the PGC has no control over that.
But they should, and it's only because they refuse to listen to other experts, we have that problem. lol

Well your wrong on that point also Waynzee.
A friend of mine hit a decent buck with his pickup on opening morning a few years back and all he did was gut it, tag it, then call the warden. He was told he could either keep it or turn it in and go hunt another one. He chose to keep it.
Fact is license sales have dropped significantly in all states, including those allowing sunday hunting, and the use of ARs for hunting. So again your argument is all about what you want, and little to do with actual facts.
I don't remember exactly how long ago it was, but no doubt over 10 years now the PGC legalized cross bows for handicap hunters in PA.
Well within about 3 years the numbers of handicap hunters skyrocketed because of all the serious back issues everybody wanting a cross bow had developed, and all it took was a letter from a friendly doctor.
So now anybody can have a cross bow, which in essence gives them about a 6 week
head start with a rifle type device before the actual rifle season begins.
The buck kill numbers by (ARCHERY) hunters has risen so drasticly as a result of this that even the liberal PGC is concerned over it.
They now also have 9 days to harvest a bear, when average rifle hunters get 3, or excuse me it might now be 4 I'm not sure, but that due to them caving on the opening day now being on a Sat. instead of Monday.
And in some areas, it still remains open into the rifle buck season.
They have also reset the doe season so that you can shoot both buck and doe during
the whole second week of the buck season. And I'm not sure since ours is a bucks only
camp, and yes that goes even for the young kids, but the doe season might actually start now on the first Saturday of buck. But again I'm not certain, and frankly I don't even care.
So the fact is that over the years the PGC has complied with hunter demands in quite a few areas. But they will never be off the hook completely by some groups of hunters regardless of what they do or don't do.
I do know this much, this year due to personal issues, I didn't arrive at our camp until
Wed. evening of the first week of buck season. Holy week if you will in PA for my entire life and long before that. A place where schools would be closed statewide for the first 3 days of buck season when I was in school.
Yet at least 8 out of 10 camps in one of the premier regions of the state were in total darkness.
Many never get opened at all any more during the entire fall hunting seasons.
Regardless of what people like Waynzee here are shouting about, it has nothing to do
with hunting and the diminishing lack of interest among a growing number of young people.
Hang on folks, it wont be over after the present hurdles have been conquered.
We will then be arguing over sending drones out scouting for us, so that we have more
beer time and less wasted time looking for a deer to whack with our ARs.
Don't laugh.

Thanks for the lesson. I like your idea about the drone and more time for drinking beer so's we can whack deer with our ARs. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.