No semi's for big game.

And this is about what it comes down to a very special kind of stupid. If you don't want to hunt with a semi, don't, but don't stop somebody else from hunting because of stupid.
And you are right about shooting at game at long range there could be some serious argument put in that as well because of the disadvantage to the animal, not ethical to take long shots ect., and I've heard a few of those arguments over the years. But here again I don't stop somebody or disagree with somebody wanting to use their lever action 30/30 to take a 400 yard shot at a deer, if you're confident go for it. Just don't tell me what I can and can not hunt with.

I don't think these guys ever heard of an ammo dump from a lever or pump gun . they were going to limit AR's to 5 rounds . I think most levers hold 7 . my rem 760's hold 5 .
I can't think of a good reason to not allow semi's . if they did allow it I wouldn't use one anyway . I've never shot an AR . I guess I just feel the TV news has demonized AR's to the place uneducated guys fear them .

Bans on semi auto's likely date back to market hunting days. In these days of limited kill sport hunting, it's just inflating ones own ego by claiming superior ethics.

The assumption that semi-auto users care less about accuracy or one shot kills is absurd.

Unrecovered game is unrecovered game, and the assumption someone using a single shot, muzzle loader, or bow doesn't miss is nonsense.

Exceeding bag limits is done by all categories of users.

I have single shots, and semi-auto's in the safe. Making one illegal or "unethical" to satisfy someone else's sense superiority is nonsense.

PA hunters I have a solution!! Move to Georgia and you don't have to worry about it! :D
Seriously though, I hunt with an AR and just because have it available doesn't mean you're going to do an ammo dump. I've had 99% of my kills 1 shot with my AR with the exception of a 200lb Missouri boar who just would not go down. But as a ethical hunter, which the vast majority on this site are, I realized it was the caliber and not the platform that failed me.

We have Democrat Governor that signed the bill to us AR15's or any semi auto rifle when it was first presented and he put his ok on it. Then it went to the PA. Game Commision to make it official. But that didn't happen. I can't get past the opportunities that was presented to PA. residents and hunters. All because of a few old opinionated, selfish people and the PGC we lost those opportunities. Here is an example of what could have happened, gun sales on AR's would have gone up, good for the gun shops more local money, Young people would be more willing to go hunting with a cool gun other than ( and I've heard this a few times ,, Do I have to use that old gun again. ) Ammo sales up for AR's and secured and advance or 2nd Ammendment rights. Right now you assholes handed the anti gun people a huge victory.

Waynzee, you started this thread,and you don't know me and I don't know you. On a forum thats open to all members,Any and all are free to offer their opinion. I have read thru all. I personally gave my view on the ruling,and still stand by it. Not one comment on this thread has done anything to change my mind. In fact your comments have gone further to commit me deeper to my own convictions. Did I have anything to do with the ruling? Did I say I was anti semi auto? No I did not. I apologize if I have offended anyone. But your personal rant,and name calling,and belittling of others demonstrates a lack of character, and is reminiscent of a 3 year old child throwing a tantrum in a dept. store because mommy wouldn't buy him a toy he wanted. I personally don't have the time of day to get into a ******* contest with anyone,and I won't,and neither can I be intimidated. If you listen and observe others long enough they will show their true colors, and you waynzee have revealed yours. ctw

Waynzee, you started this thread,and you don't know me and I don't know you. On a forum thats open to all members,Any and all are free to offer their opinion. I have read thru all. I personally gave my view on the ruling,and still stand by it. Not one comment on this thread has done anything to change my mind. In fact your comments have gone further to commit me deeper to my own convictions. Did I have anything to do with the ruling? Did I say I was anti semi auto? No I did not. I apologize if I have offended anyone. But your personal rant,and name calling,and belittling of others demonstrates a lack of character, and is reminiscent of a 3 year old child throwing a tantrum in a dept. store because mommy wouldn't buy him a toy he wanted. I personally don't have the time of day to get into a ******* contest with anyone,and I won't,and neither can I be intimidated. If you listen and observe others long enough they will show their true colors, and you waynzee have revealed yours. ctw

Well ctw, you just called me a three year old, looks like you just did what you've accused me of. Personally I don't care what you think when you throw out anti gun propaganda and are against legalizing semi autos for hunting. Being against making semi autos legal for anything is the same as not being for gun rights. I'll bet you voted for Hillary.

This sounds like more people had a say in it than what they are letting on. The bunny hugging anti gun nuts have people in the government that tell them when these decsions are being made. You can but they had some whopper of a report made up to aide in this decsion. As mentioed what kind of action you want to use should be up to you. Or we could look at it another way may single shots should be banned because a quick follow up shot is not possible. No one would like this law and it would be based on the same kind of crap. It is our duty when we go hunting to make a humane shot that is up to is, We need to know the limits of our firearm. We should not applauld rules that limit what we can and can not use that is a bad idea that only leads to more government control.
I live in Canada and am so jealous of what you guys can hunt with and the freedoms you have. Fight to have this bill removed do not applaud it you will be sorry in the end. Not only that there are some very fine semi auto hunting rifles capable of great accuracy like the Browning Bar. Not every semi auto is a Ar that is media talk or democrat BS.

....As mentioed what kind of action you want to use should be up to you. Or we could look at it another way may single shots should be banned because a quick follow up shot is not possible. No one would like this law and it would be based on the same kind of crap. It is our duty when we go hunting to make a humane shot that is up to is, We need to know the limits of our firearm. We should not applauld rules that limit what we can and can not use that is a bad idea that only leads to more government control.....I live in Canada and am so jealous of what you guys can hunt with and the freedoms you have. Fight to have this bill removed do not applaud it you will be sorry in the end. Not only that there are some very fine semi auto hunting rifles capable of great accuracy like the Browning Bar. Not every semi auto is a Ar that is media talk or democrat BS.

I think the fellow from up north nailed it!

This sounds like more people had a say in it than what they are letting on. The bunny hugging anti gun nuts have people in the government that tell them when these decsions are being made. You can but they had some whopper of a report made up to aide in this decsion. As mentioed what kind of action you want to use should be up to you. Or we could look at it another way may single shots should be banned because a quick follow up shot is not possible. No one would like this law and it would be based on the same kind of crap. It is our duty when we go hunting to make a humane shot that is up to is, We need to know the limits of our firearm. We should not applauld rules that limit what we can and can not use that is a bad idea that only leads to more government control.
I live in Canada and am so jealous of what you guys can hunt with and the freedoms you have. Fight to have this bill removed do not applaud it you will be sorry in the end. Not only that there are some very fine semi auto hunting rifles capable of great accuracy like the Browning Bar. Not every semi auto is a Ar that is media talk or democrat BS.

+1+1+1+1 Yep, You got it. Problem is these dark age fellows don't think they could ever lose their firearms for hunting. I've heard all kinds of arguments, like, ah, that'll never happen here in Pa. there is to many hunters. Well the Government and PGC is also talking about putting restrictions on calibers you can use for deer and bear hunting in some areas so some day soon you might not be able to use that favorite Rem. 760 pump 30/06.

The other thing that has to be done is for all hunters and gun owners to stick together. This is probably the toughest job of all. However it is the job of all of us to educate our fellow gun owners. The media plays real nasty tricks on our minds and we llean toward what they are telling us. so lets all be careful.

I posted this comment in the other thread started on the same topic. Just my thoughts.

I do not agree with the regulation of semi automatic for hunting and never will. I chalk that up to a loss for the hunting/shooting community. We as hunters and shooting enthusiasts need to fight to keep the rights we have before it turns into a snow ball effect. I personally do not currently use any of my auto loaders for big game hunting so it wouldn't affect me personally if they were to ban the use of them in my area but i would still fight to not have the law passed.

The problem today is not everyone thinks about the big picture. They just care if it affects them directly without realizing that the passing of laws that don't affect them in fact will one day. It will because the more you give them the more they(anti gun community) will take, They will NEVER stop. That is why we must protect our rights even if they don't directly affect us.

Most of the nations hunters don't use/own suppressors so they could really careless if they were even legal to own much less legal to hunt with or even own without a tax stamp. That doesn't make them an Obama or Hillary loving left wing idiot. They are just not understanding that passing of the laws that doesn't affect them eventually lead to the passing of laws that will take away their right of something that they love doing. That's how this works, slowly chip away at it until you eventually succeed.

I see no need to personally attack others for their opinions. Instead turn your frustration and concerns to your local, state, and national representatives. Let them know we as gun owners are fighting for our rights and we will vote/elect for someone that will stand up and fight for us. Send them emails, letter, and call to voice your opinion. Any public office holder will pay attention to the voice of millions as that is potentially millions of votes for them. If every pro gun person would send one email per week to their representatives then they would be more tentative to our agenda!

The left wing is fighting very hard every day and night to strip us of our rights. Are you fighting just as hard or harder to keep them or are you just winning and calling them idiots while they take your rights away??

I posted this comment in the other thread started on the same topic. Just my thoughts.

I do not agree with the regulation of semi automatic for hunting and never will. I chalk that up to a loss for the hunting/shooting community. We as hunters and shooting enthusiasts need to fight to keep the rights we have before it turns into a snow ball effect. I personally do not currently use any of my auto loaders for big game hunting so it wouldn't affect me personally if they were to ban the use of them in my area but i would still fight to not have the law passed.

The problem today is not everyone thinks about the big picture. They just care if it affects them directly without realizing that the passing of laws that don't affect them in fact will one day. It will because the more you give them the more they(anti gun community) will take, They will NEVER stop. That is why we must protect our rights even if they don't directly affect us.

Most of the nations hunters don't use/own suppressors so they could really careless if they were even legal to own much less legal to hunt with or even own without a tax stamp. That doesn't make them an Obama or Hillary loving left wing idiot. They are just not understanding that passing of the laws that doesn't affect them eventually lead to the passing of laws that will take away their right of something that they love doing. That's how this works, slowly chip away at it until you eventually succeed.

I see no need to personally attack others for their opinions. Instead turn your frustration and concerns to your local, state, and national representatives. Let them know we as gun owners are fighting for our rights and we will vote/elect for someone that will stand up and fight for us. Send them emails, letter, and call to voice your opinion. Any public office holder will pay attention to the voice of millions as that is potentially millions of votes for them. If every pro gun person would send one email per week to their representatives then they would be more tentative to our agenda!

The left wing is fighting very hard every day and night to strip us of our rights. Are you fighting just as hard or harder to keep them or are you just winning and calling them idiots while they take your rights away??

You should check out how all this came about, trying to get semi autos legalized for hunting in Pa.. There was a lot of effort put into this, Jezz just to get that bill before our Democrat Governor and have him sign it was a tremendous effort. Yeah check out pa game commision, Commision Live Stream March 27, 28th. Then say how you would feel if it happened in your state.

Well our friend here really isn't offering up the full picture.
First off, unlike most other states, the polititions don't control the game commission in PA.
So just because the legislature and governor approves, the game commission isn't bound by that.
Make no mistake, there are swamps in every capitol of every state, not just in DC.
Pa is and has always been among the leading states as for hunting license sales, so that means something has been being done right.
As for semi autos, shotguns have been permitted for small game hunting for probably much longer than the OP has been breathing, but semi auto rifles have not been permitted for hunting. But the recent bill changed that to the degree they are now permitted for small game including all varmits.
But I don't think the OP bothered to mention that fact.
What is still not permitted is the use of semi autos for big game animals such as deer and bear, and for those very few who are lucky enough to draw an elk tag.
The people who are career employees and head up the various departments of the PGC, along with the appointed commissioners, are mostly all hunters themselves.
They know full well what goes on out there, especially on brown goes down doe days.
They are powerless to stop it, but they can attempt to control it to some small degree.
As for his fear mongering over the loss of our gun rights due to this, that's also BS.
There is but one organization who is and has always been in the forefront on that issue, including even owning ARs, and the fact is most gun owners don't care enough about gun rights to join.

Last edited:
Well our friend here really isn't offering up the full picture.
First off, unlike most other states, the polititions don't control the game commission in PA.
So just because the legislature and governor approves, the game commission isn't bound by that.
Make no mistake, there are swamps in every capitol of every state, not just in DC.
Pa is and has always been among the leading states as for hunting license sales, so that means something has been being done right.
As for semi autos, shotguns have been permitted for small game hunting for probably much longer than the OP has been breathing, but semi auto rifles have not been permitted for hunting. But the recent bill changed that to the degree they are now permitted for small game including all varmits.
But I don't think the OP bothered to mention that fact.
What is still not permitted is the use of semi autos for big game animals such as deer and bear, and for those very few who are lucky enough to draw an elk tag.
The people who are career employees and head up the various departments of the PGC, along with the appointed commissioners, are mostly all hunters themselves.
They know full well what goes on out there, especially on brown goes down doe days.
They are powerless to stop it, but they can attempt to control it to some small degree.
As for his fear mongering over the loss of our gun rights due to this, that's also BS.
There is but one organization who is and has always been in the forefront on that issue, including even owning ARs, and the fact is most gun owners don't care enough about gun rights to join.

Type in your PC search, Governor Wolf signs bill to lift ban on semi autos. Oh yeah, I think I offered up more than a full picture here you should check your facts. Have you read any of the other post here ? Most agree they have no problem with using semi autos for hunting big game. You are the only one really complaining about it. So, far you've found nothing but the negative view on it and you say I'm bitching, huh, lol. (If it's brown it's going down) I don't know where you hunt but if that came out of the mouth of anybody we hunt with they would be done hunting with us. Maybe that's where you get the fear mongering saying and feeling from, you hunt with people that blast up the woods so you're scared if those people get their hands on a AR with a 10,000,000 round magazine they would shoot everything. Well Yobuck that doesn't happen where I hunt, each and every shot is accounted for. If it's from a bolt action a lever action a pump action and that's why we don't have a problem with semi autos every shot is accounted for.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.