No semi's for big game.

Waynzee

So, the PA. Game Commision has voted NO semi auto's for big game hunting in PA.. It includes Elk, Bear, Deer, and Turkey. PGC took a poll and found that mainly this was due to the fact that older hunters are stuck in their way and prefer to remain in the dark age.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

older hunter here in N.W. pa.crawford co. I don't believe I am stuck in the dark ages, but I don't disagree with the P.A. game comm. on this ruling. I was taught from an early age to make the first shot count and have lived by these ethics,and have brought up my children on those same principals; and rarely are follow up shots needed, let alone a magazine full of rounds at my finger tips. Ironically my children whom "are much younger than me" feel the same way. With the exception of one of my son-in laws who owns an ar-15 who on occasion brings it out to the farm to shoot, and has no problem going through 100 rounds of ammo in a single session with very little precision. My family strives to put a game animal down with the least amount of meat loss possible. In a society with individuals having an attitude if it feels good do it type of mentality common sense rules sometimes have to prevail. Just older hunter with my opinion. Everything has a time and a place, I just don't think they belong in the big game hunting scene. ctw

That is ridiculous. So you can't even use a semi-auto shotgun for turkeys? Government should stay out of it, that is a personal preference that has no bearing in anything of their concern. While personally I agree for me that I prefer a bolt gun in most situations, I have no issue or concern about someone else having a different preference. While not big game I use an AR and semi-auto shotgun for coyote hunting and sometimes use an Encore 204, either way should be my decision...

older hunter here in N.W. pa.crawford co. I don't believe I am stuck in the dark ages, but I don't disagree with the P.A. game comm. on this ruling. I was taught from an early age to make the first shot count and have lived by these ethics,and have brought up my children on those same principals; and rarely are follow up shots needed, let alone a magazine full of rounds at my finger tips. Ironically my children whom "are much younger than me" feel the same way. With the exception of one of my son-in laws who owns an ar-15 who on occasion brings it out to the farm to shoot, and has no problem going through 100 rounds of ammo in a single session with very little precision. My family strives to put a game animal down with the least amount of meat loss possible. In a society with individuals having an attitude if it feels good do it type of mentality common sense rules sometimes have to prevail. Just older hunter with my opinion. Everything has a time and a place, I just don't think they belong in the big game hunting scene. ctw

Well ctw, I do disagree with the PGC, and I'm an older hunter too brought up the same way you were, make your first shot count. Point is you can make that first shot count with any rifle, semi, bolt action, lever action, pump action you get the picture.There is "NO" reason other than people are stuck in the dark ages and they are afraid of change, like a little kid letting go of mommys hand and getting on the school bus for the first time. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

older hunter here in n.w. Pa.crawford co. I don't believe i am stuck in the dark ages, but i don't disagree with the p.a. Game comm. On this ruling. I was taught from an early age to make the first shot count and have lived by these ethics,and have brought up my children on those same principals; and rarely are follow up shots needed, let alone a magazine full of rounds at my finger tips. Ironically my children whom "are much younger than me" feel the same way. With the exception of one of my son-in laws who owns an ar-15 who on occasion brings it out to the farm to shoot, and has no problem going through 100 rounds of ammo in a single session with very little precision. My family strives to put a game animal down with the least amount of meat loss possible. In a society with individuals having an attitude if it feels good do it type of mentality common sense rules sometimes have to prevail. Just older hunter with my opinion. Everything has a time and a place, i just don't think they belong in the big game hunting scene. Ctw

I'm just going to put this out there too. In a time when the anti gun people are trying everything they can to take your gun ownership away PA. had a perfect time to advance and secure our gun ownership especially with semi auto's but what happened, people stuck in there old ways voted no. You had better wake up before you have no guns to hunt with.

I'm just going to put this out there too. In a time when the anti gun people are trying everything they can to take your gun ownership away PA. had a perfect time to advance and secure our gun ownership especially with semi auto's but what happened, people stuck in there old ways voted no. You had better wake up before you have no guns to hunt with.

Couldn't agree more. Just chipping away, little by little.

Divide and rule (or divide and conquer, from Latin dīvide et īmpera) in politics and sociology is gaining and maintaining power by breaking up larger concentrations of power into pieces that individually have less power than the one implementing the strategy.
Divide and rule - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_and_rule

I get a newspaper called Pa outdoor news . one section people write in letters , you should read some of these .

Couldn't disagree more. I actual was totally against AR's for the longest time then I did my first hunt with one. as stated before first shot can count with any gun. but the amount of times I have been able to get a second target on the ground because of my semi is amazing. plus the ergonomics of that platform really help with quick shots. I think it should be a personal choice. Don't see why you could use one for big game. my .458 socom is very capable of taking deer in most hunting situations.

Couldn't disagree more. I actual was totally against AR's for the longest time then I did my first hunt with one. as stated before first shot can count with any gun. but the amount of times I have been able to get a second target on the ground because of my semi is amazing. plus the ergonomics of that platform really help with quick shots. I think it should be a personal choice. Don't see why you could use one for big game. my .458 socom is very capable of taking deer in most hunting situations.

This is probably the issue. It is sport hunting and they feel this is an advantage the hunter does not need. Now they could allow this and cut the number of days in half...

While i live in Louisiana and this doesnt apply to me, I see both sides of the argument. While i dont have any AR's i have killed many deer with my Remington 742 but i've never needed a follow up shot. its just something about someone telling me that i cant use my old 742 that was handed down to me when i was just a kid that i would have a problem with. What if they wanted to pass a law on the distances big game could be shot. One could say its not sporting or a disadvantage to the animal to be shot from long ranges. It's stupid but we live in a stupid world....

While i live in Louisiana and this doesnt apply to me, I see both sides of the argument. While i dont have any AR's i have killed many deer with my Remington 742 but i've never needed a follow up shot. its just something about someone telling me that i cant use my old 742 that was handed down to me when i was just a kid that i would have a problem with. What if they wanted to pass a law on the distances big game could be shot. One could say its not sporting or a disadvantage to the animal to be shot from long ranges. It's stupid but we live in a stupid world....

And this is about what it comes down to a very special kind of stupid. If you don't want to hunt with a semi, don't, but don't stop somebody else from hunting because of stupid.
And you are right about shooting at game at long range there could be some serious argument put in that as well because of the disadvantage to the animal, not ethical to take long shots ect., and I've heard a few of those arguments over the years. But here again I don't stop somebody or disagree with somebody wanting to use their lever action 30/30 to take a 400 yard shot at a deer, if you're confident go for it. Just don't tell me what I can and can not hunt with.

And this is about what it comes down to a very special kind of stupid. If you don't want to hunt with a semi, don't, but don't stop somebody else from hunting because of stupid.
And you are right about shooting at game at long range there could be some serious argument put in that as well because of the disadvantage to the animal, not ethical to take long shots ect., and I've heard a few of those arguments over the years. But here again I don't stop somebody or disagree with somebody wanting to use their lever action 30/30 to take a 400 yard shot at a deer, if you're confident go for it. Just don't tell me what I can and can not hunt with.

I agree 100%!

This is probably the issue. It is sport hunting and they feel this is an advantage the hunter does not need. Now they could allow this and cut the number of days in half...

there would be no reason to cut the amount of hunting days . Pa has been on a deer herd reduction for 10 or so years . deer season was a one kill and done . 2 weeks buck followed by 2 days of doe . then they went to bonus tags and you can fill all your tags . then it went to 2 weeks of deer season allowing multi kills . now in my area bucks only is Monday to Friday , deer season runs saturday to saturday . some areas are still 2 weeks of buck and doe and multi kills .

I read a lot about guys saying to not allow semi's due to tradition . I wonder what they thought about all the changes to deer season I just spoke about above ? I'll bet they thought that was ok and kill more than one deer per year .

Pa allows 2 spring gobblers with the purchase of the bonus turkey tag . but you can only take one bird per day . they could do that with deer season , one per day .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.