No semi's for big game.

Man I'm glad we live in a free state like Mt, I was working with the local FWP all last week and the thought of more regulations make them sick to their stomach, it's refreshing to work with government employees who don't want more government!!

Yeah, I'm not only up against the PGC/ Board of Commissioners who make all the rules and laws and say yes or no to anything new, but you have people like Yobuck and others like him that are against anything new also. But I'll suck it up for now and maybe next year with all the heat the PGC is getting over this they might change their mind.

I've been reading this thread and just shake my head. What I see missing here is any sort of compromise.

While I can see both sides of the coin here, I have the feeling that those who feel slighted by not being able to use semi-auto guns for big game hunting would snivel even louder if they could but couldn't have clips or magazine capacities over three rounds. The argument to have a quick follow up shot for a second animal would be met for those who are self endorsed expert marksmen and would also allow for a clean-up shot for those with lesser capabilities. So....where's the compromise? Or does getting the ar on the table also include the need for 30 round clips when, according to most of the supporting commentary here, only two shots are required....being self professed dead-eyes? Maybe the compromise should state that semi-auto rifles be allowed as long as they do not look military and don't have magazines that extend below the stock? After-all, the argument is for that second shot, right? A BAR or Remington 742 would fill that bill.

Here in SE Minnesota we can use shotguns of any kind....pump, semi-auto, single shot.... or, as I prefer, a black powder weapon. No rifles at all. Except black powder. Rifles are for the northern half of the state. Its ironic that the bulk of the deer taken are in shotgun/black powder only zones. I should mention that pistols are legal for deer down here too. Mine is a scoped, black powder .50 cal break action. And I have taken 3 deer in the past three seasons using it. One shot each.

What I have seen here is that some of ya'll want to use ar platform rifles that you own. So use them. The Penn. game commission says that they aren't legal for deer....at this point in time. Go back and argue your points for semi-autos but offer to hunt with 3 to 5 shot magazines. I can see exactly why some of the responses here have been in favor of the commission's ruling: the commission knows that if they say semi-auto arms can be used then the deer woods would be crawling with guns having 30 round clips. Not the right place for such weapons when ya'll are boasting about your marksmanship but needing all this firepower for a follow-up shot. If you are serious about needing a second or follow-up shot then compromise. Or buy a nice pump or Bar or Remington auto. Nobody forced you to buy an auto in the first place. And hunting in any state is a privilege, not a right, so if you want to hunt comply and stop sniveling. It makes you sound not smart.

CTom could you explain why you feel it is a privilege not a a right?
Example I own property pay taxes on it.
Wild animals that are over abundant on my property damaging my crops which is an income source for me and the deer are eating fruit and vegetables out of my gardens which are my food source.
Do you consider me managing them a right or a privilege?
What does it matter what weapons I use ?
Any weapon by definition is dangerous in the hands of anyone that so chooses.
A shovel or garden hoe in the right hands is a weapon.
Do we need regulations on them?
Because if you feel managing my property for animals is a privilege not a right then gardening and growing food and crops to live would also be a privilege not a right.
I guess my point is I want to think America is a free country but with more and more ridiculous laws that are passed the less I feel it is !
If a person is irresponsible and does not use their head in the first place more laws are not going to cure that stupidity make them more responsible or stop them from breaking the laws.

Like a driving a motor vehicle, you have to have a license. Its a privilege, not a right. If it was a right there's be no license.

If animals are wreaking havoc on your garden/yard/property you can take measures to control them, like calling your dnr or animal control officers, but that has zip to do with semi-auto weapons in a deer season.

Gus....I agree that some laws or more laws won't protect people from those that haven't got or won't use common sense. This discussion isn't about not being able to hunt, its about not being able to use a certain type of weapon. Other choices for weapons clearly exist here. What I am seeing is a certain sect of people whining because they want to hunt with platform style weapons and cannot. I'd bet these same people have closets, safes and/or gun racks full of guns that can be used legally. What I don't see here is any person saying that they are willing to go to the PA DNR and proposing a change that allows these semi-autos using a restricted magazine limit. I see all these guys saying "yup, I only need one shot but would sure like to have a second for another shot at another animal or to back up a bad hit". Not one word about agreeing to limited magazine capacity or even a suggestion of it. They want their cake and eat it too.

Nobody is saying that they can't own a semi-auto of any kind. By all means, own all you want....that is your constitutional right. Owning and complying with hunting regulations are separate scenarios though and other options for LEGAL hunting weapons are there. No a soul is saying they can't hunt. All these people have to do is comply with the state's regulations. Or they can choose to not hunt....that too is a right. Or they can choose to cross a border to hunt where they can use semi-autos. I'm willing to wager that not a single on of those who are whining have ever considered a magazine restriction as a compromise that would allow them to hunt the semi-autos. The all-or-nothing mentality is standing in their way.

CTom from your last post I have come to the conclusion that your definition of what is a right and what is a freedom is dependent on whether or not the government regulates it.
And you agree when they regulate it and say that you will be a safer hunter when you do not use a semi auto?
Or in your compromise a semi with only a 3 round mag is safer than a lever action 30-30 that holds 7?
Why not ban old lever actions in my 25 years of hunting they are the only guns I have seen go off accidentally on more than one occasion purposefully I hunt with responsible people that always kept their guns in a safe position.
The only reason they don't mess with trying to stop people from using these high capacity dangerous guns is because it doesn't fit into their stereotypical anti "assault weapon" propaganda!
I just don't understand why people advocate for our freedoms being taken away from us!

I'm certainly not advocating infringement on anyone's freedoms or rights. People have an issue with a state's hunting laws and I am tossing out ideas for a solution. The PA hunters haven't been able to use semi-auto weapons and my making suggestions to help get that issue resolved certainly isn't advocating a loss of rights or freedom, especially if they haven't got the capacity to use those weapons to hunt big game in the first place.

I can't believe how many blinders there are on this site. I deer hunt in a state right next door to you Gus and the area I hunt has some of the dumbest regulations on this planet. More dumb regulations are likely on their way. I have a choice to either comply or to not hunt. The PA persons who have voiced an issue here have choices too. Nobody or nothing I have read here has limited their decision making abilities to either comply or hunt elsewhere....seems pretty darned simple to me.

The second poster in this thread listed his observations and I think he was spot on. It sounds like all you want to do is argue Gus and not look for some resolution so I'm done. Enjoy your dead end.

ctom from your last post i have come to the conclusion that your definition of what is a right and what is a freedom is dependent on whether or not the government regulates it.
And you agree when they regulate it and say that you will be a safer hunter when you do not use a semi auto?
Or in your compromise a semi with only a 3 round mag is safer than a lever action 30-30 that holds 7?
Why not ban old lever actions in my 25 years of hunting they are the only guns i have seen go off accidentally on more than one occasion purposefully i hunt with responsible people that always kept their guns in a safe position.
The only reason they don't mess with trying to stop people from using these high capacity dangerous guns is because it doesn't fit into their stereotypical anti "assault weapon" propaganda!
I just don't understand why people advocate for our freedoms being taken away from us!

+1 yep

CTom from your last post I have come to the conclusion that your definition of what is a right and what is a freedom is dependent on whether or not the government regulates it.
Why not ban old lever actions in my 25 years of hunting they are the only guns I have seen go off accidentally on more than one occasion purposefully I hunt with responsible people that always kept their guns in a safe position.

I guess based on your (logic), any firearm requiring the rounds to be cycled thru the gun in order to be empied, are to be considered dangerous?
I'm of the opinion they are all dangerous in the hands of fools.
It should also be noted that many semi auto owners aren't whining about the decision.
Only the whiners are whining, and when they ultimately win this one, they will be whining over another.
First on the list is Sunday hunting, to be followed by changing the season opening day for buck season from a Monday to a Saturday. That way there would be 2 Saturdays to trophy hunt for a buck, and 2 brown goes down Sundays, with no vacation time spent on a measly deer hunt.
And that my friends is the modern day mindset.

Yobuck if you have read and understood my posts you would realize we agree all weapons are dangerous.
I just don't need government to tell me what weapon I can't use because some left wing nut says it is not suitable for hunting one particular game animal.
As for your comments on Sunday hunting I didn't know deer keep track of what day of the week it is . But what do I know maybe Sunday is their day of rest?

Man I hadnt realized it was getting like that in PA. Pretty soon it will be like CA where someone finds some bs reason to make you use lead free only ammo. You how much lead free only ammo have good b.c's and terminal performance at the same time with out paying the cost of a high quality box of ammo for mediocre performance?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.