New to reloading

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I've been hand loading for 67 years as hobby & for hunting. Load 10 rifle calipers & 9 pistol calibers & have never used anything but a single stage press. Never saw a need for a progressive press since I never shot in competitions or matches to have a need for a lot of shells in a short time. I have always just taken my time, learned every detail as much as I can, & enjoyed it.

Most all of my equipment is RCBS because of their quality & warranty, & I use full length resizing dies. Always use resizing wax before resizing to avoid a stuck case. I began in 1959 using a hand held "nutcracker" tool & got good results. The main thing, as has been emphasized, is to read & learn as much as you can & then follow the manufacturer's instructions in detail, regardless which brand you buy. Today's equipment is all good. Purchase the best Scale you can because getting accurate reading on the powder load is most important for your safety.

Alright, I have been thinking about reloading for a while now for a couple reason. 1.hobby as I enjoy the DIY aspect and 2. Save on Ammo allowing me to shoot more. I ordered a seekins havok prohunter ph1 in a 6.5 prc in December and finally received it last week. I found that you cannot find the Ammo anywhere so that pushed me to go ahead and start reloading. I have been looking at buying the Hornady Lock N load progressive reloader. It says I have to buy a shell plate when I buy the reloader and I cannot find one made for the 6.5prc. Does anyone know if another shell plate would work for this round? I have also read a lot about the dies people like and recommend and I believe I will go with Redding. There are a ton of different options for the Redding dies. I will not be shooting competitions just for fun and for hunting so which Redding dies do you recommend? Once again I am going to be new to reloading so I am looking for any advice here and appreciate it all.
I have both single and progressive. I've spend more time loading on my Rock Chucker single stage because I am always buying something new which I have to work up loads for - one at a time with precision. I use my Dillon progressive for 223 general rounds, 38, 9mm and 45ACP. I still reload my varmits 223 rounds I use in a Rem 700 on the single for controlled precision. I load all of my bolt action and on the single stage.
Maybe I'm "old school" but I want to know that each round I load for hunting or LR is as close to perfect as possible.
Like others have said, read all the manuals you can before you buy.
Good luck!!!

I have both single and progressive. I've spend more time loading on my Rock Chucker single stage because I am always buying something new which I have to work up loads for - one at a time with precision. I use my Dillon progressive for 223 general rounds, 38, 9mm and 45ACP. I still reload my varmits 223 rounds I use in a Rem 700 on the single for controlled precision. I load all of my bolt action and on the single stage.
Maybe I'm "old school" but I want to know that each round I load for hunting or LR is as close to perfect as possible.
Like others have said, read all the manuals you can before you buy.
Good luck!!!
I also strongly agree with the post by "Erie" - buy the best scale you can afford.

Again, do your research before you buy.

Keep up the craft and don't take short cuts.
Luck!!!

Alright, I have been thinking about reloading for a while now for a couple reason. 1.hobby as I enjoy the DIY aspect and 2. Save on Ammo allowing me to shoot more. I ordered a seekins havok prohunter ph1 in a 6.5 prc in December and finally received it last week. I found that you cannot find the Ammo anywhere so that pushed me to go ahead and start reloading. I have been looking at buying the Hornady Lock N load progressive reloader. It says I have to buy a shell plate when I buy the reloader and I cannot find one made for the 6.5prc. Does anyone know if another shell plate would work for this round? I have also read a lot about the dies people like and recommend and I believe I will go with Redding. There are a ton of different options for the Redding dies. I will not be shooting competitions just for fun and for hunting so which Redding dies do you recommend? Once again I am going to be new to reloading so I am looking for any advice here and appreciate it all.
redding bushing dies are excellent choices as it the hornady press ! I prefer an anvil type press with wilson dies mysellf ! If you're only going to reload for the one caliber then you can get away with neck sizing too !

I would never advise starting out with a progressive press. Try the single stage first. Learn with it and it will make you a better reloader. Besides you can fine tune your reloads much easier. Learning on the progressive Press is much more difficult. I've been reloading for over 40 years and I've had two progressive presses and I went back to reloading each cartridge one at a time and I am much happier with the results.

Single stage Rock Chucker here. I totally agree with erie and most here. Single stage and the tools to go with it. I've been reloading since I was 17. 44 yrs. 10 rifle and 11 pistol cartriges..It's still fun and relaxing to me. A sense of pride and accomplishment reloading your own and finding the accuracy.

My wife purchased the Hornady AP press for me a couple years ago. It works great and as you use it you learn how to set up different ammunition with a minimum of downtime and/or adjustments.
I check the first 10, then 1 of 10, 1 of 20.
I check each powder measure individually. Shooting at great distances requires no mistakes.
Hornady did not have the shell plate for 338LM. I called them, was transferred to engineering, then he transferred me back to purchasing after he discussed what I wanted. In a couple of weeks my 338LM shell plate was at my doorstep.
part number "specially made for tony ***"

I have to agree with most of the other post. Starting on a single stage usually lets you get a better grasp on what it take for precision loads. I do use a progressive for pistol loads. I've learned the progressive doesn't work well with my brass prep or load work up with rifle rounds. It is a horn lnl.

I think a RCBS Rock Chucker will do you right, then use the dies you want save money and buy more brass and powder for your first ladder tests.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.