New to reloading

sorry, but it is a machine tool designed to do a job.
used by 1000's of people with NO ISSUES.
the issue is when the user thinks they are smarter than the machine and must check everything that is going on instead of letting the machine do its job.
some people should not own a progressive press ,they give the tool a bad name.
i learned on a progressive..it was a star and i was 9 years old. i am 70 and still have all my fingers, never blew up a gun.

I know some people love the progressive's and some hate them. My uncle used one while my dad and I used a single stage, why did we not use a progressive? We found out by testing that the powder measures from the progressive varied from 0.2 to 0.7gr per round, which makes a huge difference when loading a competition round.

Now maybe with the newer short cut powders it might not be an issue as it was then

I know some people love the progressive's and some hate them. My uncle used one while my dad and I used a single stage, why did we not use a progressive? We found out by testing that the powder measures from the progressive varied from 0.2 to 0.7gr per round, which makes a huge difference when loading a competition round.

Now maybe with the newer short cut powders it might not be an issue as it was then

I use a progressive with 6 stages or less. It works very well and is quite accurate, the OAL might vary 0.001 happening <1/50. I don't check at ± 0.0001 because my shooting skills are not that good, yet.
At 68℉ in my little reloading corner, with short or long powder the powder drop is usually within 0.1gr. I pull each piece of brass and set in a rack. I will then check on a digital scale the true weight of my powder and then back into the brass. When all are known to be correct I will finish the job.
I shoot targets, not competition, to improve my skills I also hunt a bit. How I am reloading is better than my shooting skills. When I shoot better I will reload more precisely.
Have fun, enjoy, be safe always.

My wife used to accuse me of being anal, then I built some equipment for our handicapped son, now I am just being precise.

I use a progressive with 6 stages or less. It works very well and is quite accurate, the OAL might vary 0.001 happening <1/50. I don't check at ± 0.0001 because my shooting skills are not that good, yet.
At 68℉ in my little reloading corner, with short or long powder the powder drop is usually within 0.1gr. I pull each piece of brass and set in a rack. I will then check on a digital scale the true weight of my powder and then back into the brass. When all are known to be correct I will finish the job.
I shoot targets, not competition, to improve my skills I also hunt a bit. How I am reloading is better than my shooting skills. When I shoot better I will reload more precisely.
Have fun, enjoy, be safe always.

My wife used to accuse me of being anal, then I built some equipment for our handicapped son, now I am just being precise.

I'm sure quality has improved in the progressive reloaders since 30 years ago.

It is good that you focus on quality regardless of your shooting skills, this helps determine the humar error part knowing the equipment and tools are working properly, so you learn where you made the mistake so you can improve. If not you might be doing things right but with crappy ammo thats gives bad results you might start thinking you are the problem and you aren't. Stay safe

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.