Help a Gal new to reloading and LR shooting

On a more serious note, WELCOME! Long over due and much needed! I hope you will jump in and help us guys do a better job in making this sport more appealing and open to gals. And those photos, seriously, amazing. Thanks again
Your right...My manners are bad and my apologies Victoria...Welcome..

I would recommend a Rock Chucker press mine has worked for 50 years. Buy a set of Redding Type S Full Length bushing dies with competition seater and be done read the directions that come with the dies. Also get on ADGs list to get some 6.5 SAUM brass on the next run it is the best SAUM brass made. I use a small cheap press to decap with a universal decaping die. It saves on your main press and is easier. Save your money from a tumbler and buy a annealer. To clean brass I simply wipe it off with a rag with Alcohol. Sizing lube is Hornady Unique it is made from lanolin and is good for your hands as well. No mess and Easy to wipe off with a alcohol rag. Priming is easier with a bench primer and RCBS makes a good one. Eventually you have to trim your cases and I use a RCBS bench trimmer. My largest improvement to low ES was purchasing a quality powder scale. Buy good set of Calipers. You will need a Deburr tool again RCBS. The rabbit hole is huge and the investment can be to. If you are having a custom gun built in a Long range cartridge then do it justice and provide it with quality ammo that will preform at distance. PM me some time for load data I have 2 6.5 SAUMs and they both are both hammers.View attachment 155314

All this.

I'm interested in the details of your rifle, specifically that other hand bolt- What is that?

It is a Montana Rifle Co short action with a 3.125 Mag box. With a Rock Creek #3 Fluted barrel 26" 1/8 twist with a MBM brake. A McMillan Game Scout stock. It was all smithed by Davis Custom Rifles. It is an amazing rifle shooting Berger 140s EH into little bug holes. I just ran a test last week with 156 Bergers and 153 A-Tips. A five shot Lader test was all in the same hole from both bullets at 100yds. I am going to test more with then soon since I did not hit pressure yet. I will probably stay with the 140s since I call this my Wolf gun. But the 156s would be better for elk. It is topped with a Leupold VX-6HD 3X18-44 with a impact 23 reticle. I killed a coyote at 715 just the other day.

Ok, so please forgive my newness and lack of knowledge. I have been lurking on this site for a long time and I have enjoyed gleaning information from so many of you. Long time waterfowler here, turned into a rifle hunter the last few years. I just finished an amazing backcountry elk hunt in the Washakie Wilderness in Wyoming that took everything I had. I was lucky enough to tag a 6x6 at 440 yards with a customized Tikka T3 in 270 WSM using a 150 grain ABLR. Amazing hunt.. and has me pining for more.

So when I got home, I ordered a GA Precision 6.5 SAUM. I've shot one a few times and loved it. I intend to reload the ammo, but I am a total novice. I have reloaded thousands and thousands of rounds of shotgun, but this rifle stuff is completely different. I want to make sure I buy the right reloading gear off the bat, so I am not having to buy again down the road. Any recommendations on a reloading press and the associated accoutrements are much appreciated. I figure many of you have determined what works and what doesn't at this point. So please, share a list of Gear I need to purchase. This will be my winter project until my rifle arrives in early spring. I appreciate it! Best, V

P.S. Photos are from my most recent elk hunt! Thanks for looking and any advice you can give.
View attachment 155294 View attachment 155290 View attachment 155291 View attachment 155292
Get the ABCs of reloading book. We just had a long post recently of recommended equipment. I personally started with and continue to use an RCBS Rockchucker. Its been with me 30 years now. I have several dillons and others but most of my loading is done on the RCBS. i dont care for hornadys offerings or lee. My go to's are lyman and rcbs, sinclair and redding. Stay away from electronic powder dispensers unless you go high end. My experience with hornady and rcbs electronic powder throws are lackluster. Peruse the thousands of threads on here. I've loaded for 40+ years and I learn something new on here every week.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.