new guy LR mauser help

brett T

I have been hunting and shooting for years and own many guns but getting board with the range so i am doing a semi budget build I have a czech mauser98 that has been converted to .308. I ordered a Richards tack driver stock and have a England match trigger for it but not sure what is a good choice in a scope to reach out to 1000 yards and still be a tack driver at 100. Any other input would be great as for making this a great long range rifle would be great. It is my first with over 200 in mind. I have several nice 3x9s and a 4x16 that is a cheaper model but has all the features and has held up to the .308 for years now its a good scope just not sure if 16 power is going to be enough. Thanks

I used to have a Mauser k98 that I rarely shot. So a few years back, I got a .264 caliber barrel from McGowan with a 1:8.5 twist had a local gunsmith true and square the action and install the barrel. Chambered it in .260 Remington. Finished barrel length is 26 inches. Ordered a Tactical stock from Richards, and had to do quite a bit of inletting myself, finished the stock with teak oil. Bedded the action in the stock. Used Krylon spraypaint to finish the metal. The rifle is not the best looking rifle, my brother calls it Frankenstein's sibling, but it sure shoots like hell. I use a 5-20x50 Vortex viper on it, and it seems like a nice combination. Best group I ever had with it is 7/8 in. @ 200 yards. But this is a heavy rifle, I am guessing something like 14-15 lbs.

Put the 16x on it and go to shootin'. You'll find out soon enough if its sufficient. I've found a good 14x piece of glass with a good reticle plenty sufficient for 1K and beyond. Having said that, I have at least 20Xs on my other LR rigs.

in my opinion, your ahead of the game. i would work with what you got and shoot,shoot,shoot! i have a centerpoint 4x16 and it has been holding up to over 500 rounds and has not given any trouble yet.

Thanks I cant wait for my Richards stock to come in and you are right use what I have then go from there just figured I would post on here an get a little feed back from all of you first.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.