Need help choosing some german glass...

Just a bit more information on the plans I've got for this scope...
It's going to be getting mounted on a custom rifle chambered for 375 Ruger, who's duties will include heavy timber elk and bear hunting, possibly high alpine/open hunting and most likely back up guide gun.
Shots could be taken between 25 yards on the close end out to 700 yards at the extreme maximum. Realistically, I wont be taking a shot past 600 yards though.
That Kahles Helia just keeps calling to me
Truthfully, which company offers the best glass between the products I'm most interested in?
Kahles Helia
Swarovski Z3
Zeiss Conquest DL
Other...?

As suggested, the Meopta rifle scopes have glass the equal of Kahles or Swarovski and their quality of parts and construction is equally as good. But... their prices are much lower as Czech labor costs are much lower.

As suggested, the Meopta rifle scopes have glass the equal of Kahles or Swarovski and their quality of parts and construction is equally as good. But... their prices are much lower as Czech labor costs are much lower.

I've done some research into the Meopta optics and they look pretty sweet. I've also gotten sidetracked and been checking out the Leupold VX6 line of products... whoops!
Supposedly, the VX6 is going to be pretty close to equal in optical quality with the Z3 and Duralite line of scopes. Interesting development to say the least.
Anyways, I guess I just have more to chew on at the moment.

...But here is another European scope option - MEOPTA. It's Cezch made and is the optical equal to high end German/Austrian scopes but for a lot less money - for now at least, until everyone catches on. Soon they will offer more tactical style scopes.

Cabela's sells MEOPTA rifle and spotting scopes and binoculars under their own Alaskan Guide brand with the Cabela's guarantee.

At the least get a pair of MEOPTA binoculars. They are the optical equal of comparable Swarovski binoculars in any objective scientific test.

I like MEOPTA products, but I would not go this far. I've evaluated many of the MEOPRO and MEOSTAR rifle scopes and binoculars side-by-side with Zeiss and Swarovski products. Meopta products definitely have good optical performance for their price. Contrast is high and the resolution is very good. Finish quality is quite good as well. The prices can be ~25% lower than roughly comparable German/Austrian products, so the value is quite high.

However, Meopta product design is not in the same class and Meopta doesn't seem to have the same design standards as other European manufacturers. Meopta does a lot of contract manufacturing for other companies and less original product design. Maybe they just don't have same design experience and tradition. Also, be aware that the Meopro rifle scopes are actually made in the USA using European glass.

Upon close inspection, Meopta products usually show a few design weaknesses of "flaws". For example in the rifle scopes you see low zoom range (~3.5:1 in MEOSTAR vs the advertised 4:1 range), tunnelling at the low end of the zoom range, or turret clicks that are not accurate. These issues are not serious deficiencies. Mechanically, the products are not as light (especially the binoculars) and the mechanciall adjustments are not as smooth. The binocular eyecups are rather small for many people. These issues lead to more fatigue when using binoculars for extended periods of time. Again not serious deficiencies, but they set these products apart from "alpha" glass.

In short, I like Meopta products and they are a good value at their price point. The optical performance is quite good. But I don't think they are equivalent to Zeiss, Swarovski or Kahles products in some aspects of optical and mechanical design.

I guess if you perform a 'technical' comparison of the Meopta products with the others mentioned then there may be a difference. However, field experience with these 60 year old eyes can not see any difference. I have both rifle and binoculars and feel they perform as good as any of the top end manufactures for a lot less.

Was doing some more research and checking out the Burris site. I noticed the Veracity line looked very similar to the Steiner GS3 line and after further research, found that Burris purchased Steiner and both companies are now owned by Beretta! Didn't see that one coming!
So my question is...
Is the Burris Veracity of very good quality/on par with some of the other scopes I'm current looking at?

Oooooo! Beretta owns Burris? YIKES! The consolidation of outdoor gear companies continues.

I hope Burris is allowed to continue with their own research and development. They have some nice innovations like the Elimimnator III and some red dot and low powered scopes. I may get one for my FNH PS-90 carbine.

What I'd like to see is MEOPTA glass in my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50 scope. Now THAT would be sweet. Bushnell, are you listening??

I have a 3-12X56 Meostar that is terriffic. I have a Zeiss 5-25x50 HD5 and a NF NXS 3.5-15X56. The Meostar is a hunting scope and not a tactical scope. The one I own does not tunnel at low power and I fail to see any quality issues. What I do see, and I recognize the subjective aspect of scopes, glass that is better than either the NF or the Zeiss scopes that I have.

The best scope I currently can imagine is Zeiss' new V8 line which combines incredible quality of optics for both hunting in twilight and longrange. It's the "Rolls Royce" of the Zeiss Victory series. The tubus is 36mm!!

As far as I know it's unfortunately not available in the US yet, but you may have a look at its features on the Norwegian site which is in English. :)

VICTORY V8 riflescopes from ZEISS

I checked out the Zeiss V8 scope on that Norwegian website and it looks like a great hunting scope... except that it has limited reticles.

After using the Horus H59 reticle I really want something like it and Zeiss has one that is a bit similar. They need to put it on this scope.

But I confess that, though the glass is nowhere near that of the SCHOTT type German glass of the Zeiss V8, I still like the Burris Eliminator III for hunting. It ranges fast and accurately, has an illuminated dot and even is programable for your rifle's ballistics.

I have a 3-12X56 Meostar that is terriffic. I have a Zeiss 5-25x50 HD5 and a NF NXS 3.5-15X56. The Meostar is a hunting scope and not a tactical scope. The one I own does not tunnel at low power and I fail to see any quality issues. What I do see, and I recognize the subjective aspect of scopes, glass that is better than either the NF or the Zeiss scopes that I have.

I agree that the Meopta scopes have a high build quality and very good optical resolution and contrast. The 1st focal plane models that I've seen tunnel below about M=3.5. The field of view ratio for all 3-12X56 Meostar models is about 3.2:1. Do you have the 1st or 2nd focal plane model?

I agree that the Meopta scopes have a high build quality and very good optical resolution and contrast. The 1st focal plane models that I've seen tunnel below about M=3.5. The field of view ratio for all 3-12X56 Meostar models is about 3.2:1. Do you have the 1st or 2nd focal plane model?

Mine is FFP with the 4B reticle.

Take a look at ior/Valdada optics, awsome glass great warrenty and customer service. I have a 3.5x18 42 mm with a 34 mm tube and it brings in tons of light. Tracks perfect, I am very glad someone recommened this scope

Called an audible and will have to wait on German optics

Just bought a new Tikka T3 Hunter Las week and ordered a new Leupold VX3 1.75-6 to complete the new toy. With these recent purchases my high-end scope fund has been set back quite a bit, so my quest for some great German glass is going to take a backseat for awhile.
I'm pretty excited about this new rifle setup and hope to make this an all around gun for anything here in Washington out to 450/500 yards.
Thanks for all the advice and help on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.