Need help choosing some german glass...

wilkup

Currently I have a Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44 and have previously owned various Leupolds.

I'm ready to step up the quality of glass I'm using and am currently looking at the Steiner GS3 series and the Zeiss Conquest DL line (interested in non-illuminated options). This scope will be going on a rifle I don't plan to shoot out past 800yd, so I'm not in dire need of high magnification, but would prefer a 50mm objective.

I'm interested in...
best glass
value
customer service
ease of use
coatings
low-light performance

Does anyone have experience with one or each of these in a hunting scenario?

Are there any other optics in this quality range I should be looking at along with these couple options?

Unfortunately I don't have experience with either of those two scopes, but I do have some time with a Kahles 3.5-10X50. I found that scope to have the best optics of any 1" tube scope I have used.

Kahles also offers a 2.5-10X50 with a 30mm tube. Optics are awesome on these as well and will give you the capability you are asking about. The 2.5-10X50 doesn't have illumination.

Geb

Thanks the additional option to check out, I'll definitely be giving them a closer look as I've heard only GREAT things about that company!

I'm kinda in the same boat but looking at Swarovski too, which I have owned in the past. it might be worth looking into.

Take a look at Kahles and Leica too. They're great scopes for the money! Of course you can't go wrong with S&B.

Does anyone have any experience with the Steiners? I've had the opportunity to peak through some of their binocs. Needless to say, I was amazed, but never had anything of comparable quality to judge it against.
I've heard these optics are far under-priced for what you're getting and the glass used by these guys is comparable to S&B. Not sure if this is true, but it'd be nice if it were ;)
I also like that they come with a ballistic reticle, which will help me avoid the need for dialing.

Here's my updated (growing) list:

Steiner GS3 3-15x50 (Like the BDC reticle, and the extra mag would be nice at distance, but is not something I really need. The model with the zoom equivalent to other models doesn't have a 50mm objective)

Zeiss Conquest DL 3-12x50 (Supposedly excellent glass)

Kahles Helia C 2.5-10x50 (Like the FFP, but bummed there's no BDC reticle, custom elevation turret option would make this my first choice)

Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 BT L (LIGHT SCOPE! It's my understanding that there's no difference in glass between their various scope lines, is this correct?)

I've had a Kahles 3-12 x 56mm for near twenty years, it was mounted on my 700 Remington chambered in 300 Win Mag, over the years I've broke the scope three time, the manufacture replaced it the first time & repaired it the next two times, and their lifetime-warranty is still good. It's a great scope but it's now mounted on my Browning chambered in 30-06, the browning is heaver, & has less recoil, I've not broke it since.

I now have a Night Force 6-24 x 56mm on the 300 unfortunately it's profoundly useless at end-of-day.

I'm also looking for a high-end scope, probably German made for my 300 (I do want to sell the Night Force), but it's hard to find scope comparisons on durability & twilight-factor.

That's my two cents.

I now have a Night Force 6-24 x 56mm on the 300 unfortunately it's profoundly useless at end-of-day.

I'm also looking for a high-end scope, probably German made for my 300 (I do want to sell the Night Force), but it's hard to find scope comparisons on durability & twilight-factor.

If you have a 6-24x56lightbulb Nightforce it probably is useless:rolleyes: (with all due respect)

I just picked up one of these a few weeks ago and have put about 50 rounds through it.
Steiner 3X-12X-56mm G2 Mil-Dot Rifle Scope 5356 for sale!
It was $1099, I see they went up $100 since I ordered mine. They also took off another $50 if you pay by echeck over the phone and say you're a snipers hide member.
I'm pretty impressed, it is very clear and has great low light resolution. They only downfalls I can find are the 34mm tube and the weight.

You need a Hensoldt (Ziess). I have a 6-24x72mm. I've seen people hog hunting without night vision they collect do much light. Top of the line and I have mine for sale

AN OPTION:

Your choice of Kahles is excellent and you will like it a lot. I'd rank it close to S&B scopes.

But here is another European scope option - MEOPTA. It's Cezch made and is the optical equal to high end German/Austrian scopes but for a lot less money - for now at least, until everyone catches on. Soon they will offer more tactical style scopes.

Cabela's sells MEOPTA rifle and spotting scopes and binoculars under their own Alaskan Guide brand with the Cabela's guarantee.

At the least get a pair of MEOPTA binoculars. They are the optical equal of comparable Swarovski binoculars in any objective scientific test.

After much research, today I just ordered the Zeiss Conquest HD5 3x15x42 (also have 50mm for $50 more) from cameralandny.com (contributor/advertiser on many shooting/hunting sites). Got a great deal on an opened box (cant tell the difference from new unit) unit for $699 (no tax and free shipping), after $100 mail in rebate that last through 11/17/14. Comes with full factory warranty (fix/replace for free for first 5 years, then limited warranty for life). Went with the Z600 reticle, which is think is one of the top hunting reticles on the market. This scope will be going on my 300WM and I have an elk hunt with it in 4 weeks. Great glass and very bright, with great color contrast (from all the reports I have read). I will post a full report after my next range session. For what its worth, the other scope I was considering was a Swarovski z3 3x10x42 with BRX reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.