Need Help With Scope Choosing

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by mxbubs, Dec 21, 2006.

1. mxbubs

mxbubs Active Member

I purchased a 30-378 accumark. I want a good scope with a 30mm tube, and I figure a 20x mag at least for this gun? Question is, how big of a objective lense can I have before I get into the problem of having to mount the scope too high? Is a 50mm objective the biggest I should go on this gun, and how big is too big for "high mounts" before I get into "ultra high" mounts?

Looking for a good scope under 700$, any suggestions?

Thanks guys, Craig Graham

2. billt

billt Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is my Weatherby Accumark in .338-378. I mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X 40 MM in Leupold Mounts and Rings. I've been happy with the set up and if I had to do over again the only change I would make would be to go with the Burris Signature Ring System. I have since mounted another Leupold to another Weatherby and used the Burris System and I like it a lot better. I saw no reason to go with a 50 MM. The 40 MM is very bright for my use which is mostly long range target work. Bill T.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Craig,

I wouldn't exclude a 20X SuperSniper (riflescopes.com). I have two a 10 and a 16X and both are good to 1K yds or better. Optics are good, clicks are accurate and repeatable, they are tougher than nails and less than half of $700.00

4. mxbubs

mxbubs Active Member

5. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

I would stay away. Shoot me an email @ the address in my profile. I can get you a great scope for right around $700.

B.J.

6. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Richard Near makes incredible bases for the big Weatherby actions. That would enable you to use a wide variety of rings and also get 20-25moa slope so you can reach out farther. Expensive but superb, you only buy them once.

www.nearmfg.com

7. mxbubs

mxbubs Active Member

I just ordered the Near base and rings. I went with the one piece base. I got permission from the wife, I think I might get a nightforce. Any got any leads or one for sale?