Need Help With Scope Choosing

mxbubs

I purchased a 30-378 accumark. I want a good scope with a 30mm tube, and I figure a 20x mag at least for this gun? Question is, how big of a objective lense can I have before I get into the problem of having to mount the scope too high? Is a 50mm objective the biggest I should go on this gun, and how big is too big for "high mounts" before I get into "ultra high" mounts?

Looking for a good scope under 700$, any suggestions?

Thanks guys, Craig Graham

This is my Weatherby Accumark in .338-378. I mounted a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X 40 MM in Leupold Mounts and Rings. I've been happy with the set up and if I had to do over again the only change I would make would be to go with the Burris Signature Ring System. I have since mounted another Leupold to another Weatherby and used the Burris System and I like it a lot better. I saw no reason to go with a 50 MM. The 40 MM is very bright for my use which is mostly long range target work. Bill T.

Craig,

I wouldn't exclude a 20X SuperSniper (riflescopes.com). I have two a 10 and a 16X and both are good to 1K yds or better. Optics are good, clicks are accurate and repeatable, they are tougher than nails and less than half of $700.00

I would stay away. Shoot me an email @ the address in my profile. I can get you a great scope for right around $700.

B.J.

Richard Near makes incredible bases for the big Weatherby actions. That would enable you to use a wide variety of rings and also get 20-25moa slope so you can reach out farther. Expensive but superb, you only buy them once.

www.nearmfg.com

I just ordered the Near base and rings. I went with the one piece base. I got permission from the wife, I think I might get a nightforce. Any got any leads or one for sale?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.