Need help choosing...

wilkup

Like the title says, I'm seeking advice on optics.
The two scopes I'm currently considering are:
Steiner GS3 2-10x42
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

I've used an HD5 in the past and liked it well enough, but these Steiner GS3s have piqued my curiosity the past few years and I really wanna try one out.
I used to own a Burris Veracity 5-25x50 in the past. I was very impressed by it and understand the Steiner is also made at the Burris facility in Greeley, CO because they're now sister companies of Beretta. If the Steiner is slightly better than the Veracity, I'd consider it a win and purchase it over the HD5, but unbiased/personal reviews seem almost impossible to uncover.
This glass will be going on a dedicated hunting rifle. I know a Vortex or Leupold would work too, but want to try something different, and potentially with a bit higher quality.

Cant go wrong with Steiner quality. Mechanically speaking. Not sure if the glass would match up to the conquest HD glass...but id take mechanically accurate scope with sturdy quality over slightly questionably clearer high density glass every time.

Cant go wrong with Steiner quality. Mechanically speaking. Not sure if the glass would match up to the conquest HD glass...but id take mechanically accurate scope with sturdy quality over slightly questionably clearer high density glass every time.

That's a very interesting perspective on things and one I hadn't actually considered.
This won't be a scope I'm dialing turrets with, I don't plan to do anything long range with this scope. With that considered, would you still choose the Steiner over the Zeiss?

Yeah but thats just a bias I have. So im sure that doesnt help. I dont use ballistic reticles and pretty much only turn dials. still i think the steiner would be better. I heard that the hd5 doesnt do well on magnums (may or may not be true.) I feel if you are going to own a scope in that price range it ought to hold up, especially if later down the road you decide to mount on a different rifle. The steiner has a 30mm tube as well giving more light emission and durability, while the zeiss has a 1". If you are hunting that close, the HD glass might not be such a big loss. I use HD spotting scopes for hunting, since in high sierras spot and stalk, or spot and longish shot is kind of the prime method of taking muley's, its easier to see a flickering ear or an antler move when looking down into potential bedding areas. Not really a deal breaker in my OPINION with closer shooting.

Last edited:
Not to stir the pot too much, but you may want to give our 2.5-10x42 Toric a look.

Schott HT glass, 4" constant eye relief, zero stop turret, glass etched reticle, coming out of the LOW factory in Japan. Heck of a scope for sub $700 that if at brick and mortar retail, would be in the $1200ish range. We're just direct to consumer, so that added margin is cut out and saved. Saves you a few hundred to put towards the next trip.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-2-10x42-bdc

Feel free to give me a hollar if you have any questions

Not to stir the pot too much, but you may want to give our 2.5-10x42 Toric a look.

Schott HT glass, 4" constant eye relief, zero stop turret, glass etched reticle, coming out of the LOW factory in Japan. Heck of a scope for sub $700 that if at brick and mortar retail, would be in the $1200ish range. We're just direct to consumer, so that added margin is cut out and saved. Saves you a few hundred to put towards the next trip.

I'm not familiar with your company. No disrespect, but I'm curious why aren't you more well-known if the quality is as high as you describe.

I'm not familiar with your company. No disrespect, but I'm curious why aren't you more well-known if the quality is as high as you describe.

None taken! Easy answer is, TRACT while newer to the market, is filled with Industry veterans. We launched our Binoculars about a year ago, and about 9(ish) months ago, the scopes followed.

Or founders are formally with Nikon and were just a little tired of how the corporate optics industry was run, particularly with restrictions and pricing. They set out to develop and bring to market an optics company that is direct to consumer only, with none of the added margin that others need to build in for distributors and then retailers. Result being, you get a better quality product for much less.

With relationships with the best factories in Japan for both binoculars and scopes, TRACT has come to life. If you google TRACT Optics reviews you will see quite a bit have popped up in the last 7-9 months from American Rifleman, Outdoor Life, Rifleshooter, Guns & Ammo, etc.

Not gloating...but we just proud and very humbled to see our optics getting some recognition for being so new.

Myself, I come from about 12 years in the industry with a good tenure at one of the largest ecomm optics companies. I was tired of seeing prices rise and quality cut over the years....and i saw it first hand. You simply do not need to spend tons of money to get great optics anymore, there are more options and even better options for less now.

I strongly agree

To keep all the information I'm finding inside this thread, I'd like to add a couple more optics to my list.

- Tract Toric 2-10x42
- Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40

Trevor, how would you rate the Vortex option against your Torics? To be honest, I'm very interested in the Toric 2-10 after messaging back and forth with you privately, but want to share this information with everyone else and hadn't thought about asking how you stack up against the Vortex option.

To keep all the information I'm finding inside this thread, I'd like to add a couple more optics to my list.

- Tract Toric 2-10x42
- Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40

Trevor, how would you rate the Vortex option against your Torics? To be honest, I'm very interested in the Toric 2-10 after messaging back and forth with you privately, but want to share this information with everyone else and hadn't thought about asking how you stack up against the Vortex option.

Hi Wil,

While the HD LH is a nice scope, you're still not getting the optical quality of the Toric. Of course, anyone can say I'm biased, but I know where both these scopes are coming out of and whats going into them. The Toric utilizes better components and still has a better retail. Much of this can be seen by the pricing structure, just teh nature of direct to consumer.

Now, there is a concession with higher quality optics. Schott HT glass is heavier, so the Toric is a few ounces more, but you will see a noticeable difference because of this. Add in 4" of constant eye relief with the Toric, swapable high profile turret, zero stop, custom turret option, etc, the features are really adding up.

TRACT doesn't have options in magnification category...yet...but when you stack the 2.5-10 Toric against anything close under $1200 retail, you'll be very happy with the Toric

Trevor, the info say 1/4" @100 yards clicks on the turrets. Is it really 1/4" or 1/4 MOA ?

Will be interesting to see reviews on these Tract scopes. I'm going to wait until there is a bit more selection, hopefully a 5x range in magnification in the works. The rimfire scope has me somewhat interested though...

Will be interesting to see reviews on these Tract scopes. I'm going to wait until there is a bit more selection, hopefully a 5x range in magnification in the works. The rimfire scope has me somewhat interested though...

Based off the website, it looks to all be 5x mag range. For some reason Trevor keeps writing 2.5-10, but the website shows 2-10 and 3-15.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.