N565 vs RL25

Doublezranch

Looking for thoughts on the differences in velocity with these 2 powders? My son currently uses RL25 in a 378 Weatherby Improved (375 Zayne) 279 grain Hammer at 3300. Wondering if N565 would be a better, more stable choice? I use pounds of N570 in all my big bore rifles. Considering the addition of nitroglycerin in Vit powders, do you think that would be a big enough benefit to switch?

Thank you!!

I think buying a pound and running a head to head may yield the best results.
I am not sure if a MSDS sheet or equivalent is available from the powder companies telling what the content of NG is. Norma used to supply this info.
Some RL powders come from Nitro Chemie's plant somewhere in Europe, I am not sure if Nammo discloses just where their powders are made, if in house or not.
I do think for a powder to be classified as high energy the NG content needs to be above 10%. But almost all the high energy powders benefit from NG being sprayed on as a coating and not true dual based powders.

Both powders are double base...they contain nitroglycerin as the plasticiser.
I didn't find a huge difference between any of the Reloader powders and their equivalents in the N5** series of powders.
It's moot here now anyway, neither one is available anymore.
I also have never found the temp sensitivity with RE25, I don't hunt above 55F normally.
N565/570 didn't seem sensitive to me, but I didn't test in hot weather with either as I normally would, only had a pound of each and knew supply would have dried up by the time it ran out.

Just give it a go, but I wouldn't expect it to be stable any more than RE25.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think buying a pound and running a head to head may yield the best results.
I am not sure if a MSDS sheet or equivalent is available from the powder companies telling what the content of NG is. Norma used to supply this info.
Some RL powders come from Nitro Chemie's plant somewhere in Europe, I am not sure if Nammo discloses just where their powders are made, if in house or not.
I do think for a powder to be classified as high energy the NG content needs to be above 10%. But almost all the high energy powders benefit from NG being sprayed on as a coating and not true dual based powders.
I don't know where you came up with the notion the NG is sprayed onto the powder, simply not true at all.
It is replacing the Ether that is used as a plasticiser to extrude the powder. This is how the powder is known as double base.
Double base powder smells different to single base because it lacks the Ether.
Double base powder also is coated with graphite that is used as a retardant to control burn rate.

Cheers.

I personally haven't used either, but I have read from several sources that n565 is a very close comparison to rl26 in energy, density, fill rate, and with better temp stability across the board. I have seen it in stock more than rl26 suprisingly, and have been tempted to order some to try in my .260 AI and a couple other guns as a rl26 replacement.

I personally want to try it, but now seems like a bad time to be experimenting considering the political climate, I can hardly find primers!

This is exactly why I wanted to bring this to the forum. I always learn something new. All these years and for some reason, I didn't realize that 25 was double based. That's the first win of this thread.
The second is that I do have a local source that has N565 available, and I have plenty ;) of 25 which rendered the question.
The third is Codyadams point, considering the political climate, might be a good time to up root a good thing. I've found that 26 either works great or is completely off the map. If n565 is close to 26, my worry is that it will share the same characteristics.

Ya, it makes me want to cry thinking we very well may be at the beginning of another Obama-era component shortage. I remember the gun show $100 bricks of 22 rounds, the trying to get buddy buddy with the guy at the gun counter so you can maybe get a phone call when the powder or primers finally arrive, crossing your fingers with every sporting goods store you walk in to, just hoping that MAYBE they will have just one pound of powder you need....for YEARS. The best gift I ever got during that time was a brick of BR-2 primers for Christmas, I couldn't believe it! Ha ha.

It makes me nervous to try any experimenting, even though I am pretty well set. If I play around too much, after 4+ years of that my stock may start to look pretty pathetic.....

That is off topic though!! So about that N565....ha ha

LOL!! We are all thinking the exact same thing. I may hit my local shop and buy what I can. I have same reservations about experimenting, especially when he has a proven load that works incredibly well. Maybe my time is better spent working with Steve at Hammer to get his bullet information to NECO. I've been nagging him now for a couple years to do that😊

I prefer reloader 26 Over 25. Higher loading density and gave amazing speeds in several of my cartridges at low pressures. Temp insensitive also.

Tough call. They are about the same burn speed. id load both and let the numbers and groups decide. VV is about the highest quality powder in the world. I test a lot of different powders in my rifles but this is a tough call.

I agree that VV powders are some of the best money can buy. I use and have on hand several.
Do you have any experiences with N565 you are willing to share?

None of my rifles shot it as well as others. Since each rifle has its own personality, you just have to load them and test.

As to these powder company's powder line..
Several say certain RL powders are sensitive..
How about the VV line...sensitive or not...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.