264 WM and RL25 vs RL26

tbrice23

My new 26" 8 twist doesn't seem to like Retumbo with 140 VLD or 143 ELD-X I've tried 210m and 215m primers from 65 to 70.5 gr (3300fps).
Would I be better off with rl25 or rl26 as the next step. Or should I try to find some Rl33 or US869?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I would choose R-26 first with what you've listed. R-33 or Norma 217 if that doesn't work out. All that being said, I'm not so sure you are closed out with Retumbo with only two primers tested. In my 264 I tested 210 gmm, 215gmm, CCI 200, CCI magnum, Winchester LR and finally Winchester LRM before it finally delivered consistent accuracy and low SD. If the accuracy is less than ~1-1/2" at 100 a primer change may well be all that is missing to get to where you want it. Be methodical, investigate the small, easy changes before starting over at square one. It shouldn't take more than five rounds, usually three does the trick, of each primer with your best load to see if a primer change makes it work the way you want it to. Have fun, be safe.

I was thinking of trying Cci 250 and cci BR2 with Retumbo. Maybe I should give them a try.
Yeah all loads are less than 1.5 moa at 200yards. Mostly around 1 to 1.25 moa.

I was thinking of trying Cci 250 and cci BR2 with Retumbo. Maybe I should give them a try.
Yeah all loads are less than 1.5 moa at 200yards. Mostly around 1 to 1.25 moa.

Nice. Seems like you maybe near to having it. In my rig, when I tested primers the groups tightened right up and so did the SD when I discovered the set up it wanted to shoot.
One more possibility. There are a couple of threads relative to to the ELDX and some inconsistency problems you may want to search and read. I initially thought I had a so-so load using the 143 once I sorted them they tighten right up again.

Yep, I really have my heart set on Retumbo.
I'm loading WLRM, CCI250, BR2, and WLR primers with 69.0 gr for testing with 140vld tomorrow. Should be all around 3200 fps.

My 143ELD-X were sorted in .1 gr increments, I also micrometer measured the bearing surface, my lot was consistently. 264".

I'm closer to a breakthrough with VLDs. But I still want to do a full seating depth trial with 143 eldx. My chamber is short throated, so .080" jump is all I can test without having the ogive inside the case neck.

Yep, I really have my heart set on Retumbo.
I'm loading WLRM, CCI250, BR2, and WLR primers with 69.0 gr for testing with 140vld tomorrow. Should be all around 3200 fps.

My 143ELD-X were sorted in .1 gr increments, I also micrometer measured the bearing surface, my lot was consistently. 264".

I'm closer to a breakthrough with VLDs. But I still want to do a full seating depth trial with 143 eldx. My chamber is short throated, so .080" jump is all I can test without having the ogive inside the case neck.

I think you are close, exactly the same sort I did to get the ELDX to shoot. I found best accuracy in my rig with N217, R-25 and WC867 between 3,125 and 3,175. My node went away very quickly beyond that velocity.

Is yours a 26"barrel?

Yes, 26". I have had it to 3,320fps which is where I encountered first resistance on primary extraction. I backed off 0.5g and it went 3,300 but the group wasn't 2 MOA and the SD was ~50fps. I had to go back to 3,168 fps to get the groups and SD to work out properly. 2.875" CBTO 142.4-.6 ELDX

Ok, so I endured a 3 hour deluge ,shooting under my canopy today. 10 to 20 mph half value wind, 67°.
Shot at 200 yards. 5 shots each except for WLR which was so bad that I didn't bother to shoot the 5th round.

Looks like BR2 and WLRM might be the primers to re-test in better conditions.

Attachments

• 20161016_115743.jpg
    20161016_115743.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 200
Those two look markedly better than the others. SD is looking real nice as well. Better weather and longer distance will reveal the better of the two. It's hard to believe how much a simple primer switch can clarify a load.

I agree.
Thanks for the suggestion on primer changes.
I'm not sure if I'm going to fine tune powder charge with BR2, or re-test WLRM vs BR2 .

Whichever I do will be better than Federals ever did. I'm glad I didn't give up on Retumbo.

Thanks again.

Maybe a minor powder change up (if safe) and down a 0.1g at a time to solidify the node. Retumbo runs real nice in a 264 win. I get 3,168 with a SD of 9 in my rig. The node is very narrow in my rifle + 0.2 and-0.3 I'm off it completely and accuracy falls apart. I suspect it is due to the light profile of the barrel (model 70 extreme) I skipped over the load I settled in on going up and hit the edge of it coming back down. I made 1.0g moves up to 3,050 then 0.5g up to my rifles maximum. I then came down 0.2g at a time and finally got it worked out. When I rebarrel I will certainly chose a heavier profile. I've been looking at a bartlein t style rifling that starts out 1/14 and exits 1/7. I only get about 50 rounds of the ELDX before my current barrel starts noticeably loose accuracy due to copper fouling in the first few inches of the barrel.

This barrel is somewhat of a light varmint taper ( as opposed to contour) so it has some meat.

Dude ! I had massive amounts of copper after 22 rounds of ELD-X in this barrel. If I do decide to run them ever again I'll be loading RL26 to see if its 'anti-copper' properties work.
It kind of scared me at first being a new hand lapped barrel with SO much copper,
VLDs do not hardy deposit much copper at all in this barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.