Made in the USA important to you?

I have found myself over the last couple years putting heavy emphasis on whether or not something is made in the US when making a decision to purchase something, especially firearms related. Its why I went with a versamax over an SBE 2 a few years ago. The most recent example was going with a VX6HD over an NX8 (made in Japan). I am not perfect at it and I also want something of quality and reliable. I didn't use to care and never even considered the country of origin, I am now in my late 30's and somewhere along the way it started to matter to me. Just curious if any of you out there take that into consideration when making purchases?

I with you on firearms with one exception, IMO there is no USA equivalent to Italian shotguns.

I with you on firearms with one exception, IMO there is no USA equivalent to Italian shotguns.
Funny you bring that up - I just got back from my annual pheasant hunt with a couple buddies. One has an SBE 3 and the other a beretta A400. Both of their guns had multiple malfunctions - the SBE 3 failed to feed 3 different times. My versamax is on its 4th season and has never had a problem. Every year my buddies are battling their Italian shotguns.

The only reason I bring this up is they were both telling me the same thing and mocked me when I went with the versamax. To each their own, maybe I got a really good one and they got some bad ones or maybe its a maintenance thing. I think some american companies have worked really hard to put out quality products.

I try to buy Made in USA, but it is not so cut and dried, I use what I like and am comfy with. I do my best to stay away from companies importing foreign goods with principles polar to mine, nike, levi strauss, etc... Hypocritical now, I buy 2 little buddies "Salute to Service" Green Bay Packer hoodies(nike) every Christmas.
I concentrate more on supporting local business, or more specific, not buying from amazon and wally world.
IMO, amazons way of doing business, or business model, and at the top of this is their 1 day shipping, has to be one of the most detrimental things to happen to this country.

Sako rifles are my jam. Made in Finland.... I try to buy American but I'm a sucker for quality. I love the vx5 and vx6 leupolds for hunting. But I have NF on my comp guns. Not saying the leupold can't do just as well. But it's got too many thousands of rounds through a NF to go away from it

Being a veteran, I make it a point to buy american if the quality is there. It is a personal choice what a person buys so I don't get upset with any one over it. I also boycott certain stores that have polices that I don't like. But that's the american way.

I have found that cheep is more expensive most of the time. so I buy american when it is as good or better than foreign and mostly stay away from Chinese goods.

Just me.

J E CUSTOM
Starbuckles, Patagonia, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dicks, & a few others are on the Do Not Buy List.

I've always tried to buy American and wish more of our hunting clothes/packs were made in the USA. Being a lefty, I've learned there isn't always an American version of what I want, so I either got to buy an foreign gun or hopefully buy an American cheap enough to put a barrel on in what I want.

idcwby

As much as possible for me. Every bit is undoing the damage caused in 1972 when presidential disgrace dick Nixon gave it all away to the Chinese. Not a political comment... just stating the facts.
Yeah, he also closed the gold window on August of '71 and in effect, we defaulted on all of the US dollars held outside of the country. Thank God for the Petrodollar!

I shoot a lot of BPCR and order goex by the case. It's the cheapest option while also being domestic product. A combo not often seen! I pay attention to it, and try my best. FEENIX said it perfect. Sometimes it's just not the best option.

Well, this is a tough one. I'd say I'm 50/50 on this deal across a wide variety of products. Let's face it - the Japanese are not innovators but they are quality and reliability fanatics. Let's take cars for example. Honda's and Toyota's. My son and I are driving down the interstate the other day (He's 13) and I asked him to look for Japanese vs. American cars in the opposing direction. 65-70% were Japanese. Probably not a surprise but demonstrative of the fact that the market has spoken. Look at the X-bolt vs. what the model 700 has become? It pains me to write this. It goes on and on but I think our current, and hopefully future leadership will bring about a change. That's what I'm hoping for. Until then, I'll buy US when I can but when I can get superior quality for a better price, it's awfully hard not to.

I will not buy from a US company that compromises on quality over a better quality foreign brand, but if they both make good stuff I'll go USA for sure
Yes, exactly. There's not much more American than competiting in capitalism. I'm not going to reward subpar quality just because of where its made. I'll always root for American manufacturers and buy it when it makes sense, that doesnt mean they automatically get my business.

I sure wish the American pride was still here. Most good old companies have sold out to profits over quality mega companies, it's hard to get honest quality US goods. It sucks. If it's a grass roots US company I'll happily support them. I won't buy US just for the sake of it. I love my Austrian firearms and jap scopes.... I bought a new Ram pickup, is that US? Profits stay here?, very little. We're a global market.. Like it or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.