mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

I compared the Leica to the Swarovski side by side for about 3 months and I still have the Swarovski.. Head and shoulders better IMHO

Broz,

Old Leica, new Leica, it doesn't matter speaking of the Leica 1200; Do not waste your time comparing them, there is just no comparison.
I've had 6 range finders, Bushnell 400, Bushnell 1000, 2 Bushnell 1500, a new Leica 1200 and a Swarovski 8x32, the newer one with supposedly smaller circle, self adjusting light and a bit faster. The Swaro bits them all shamelessly. ss7mm told me to learn how to say Swarovski and... I got me one though I'm not too sure I know how to say it! :D

Broz,

Old Leica, new Leica, it doesn't matter speaking of the Leica 1200; Do not waste your time comparing them, there is just no comparison.
I've had 6 range finders, Bushnell 400, Bushnell 1000, 2 Bushnell 1500, a new Leica 1200 and a Swarovski 8x32, the newer one with supposedly smaller circle, self adjusting light and a bit faster. The Swaro bits them all shamelessly. ss7mm told me to learn how to say Swarovski and... I got me one though I'm not too sure I know how to say it! :D

Eaglet, You suprised me with this post. I usually agree with your knowledge. But this time I will respectfully disagree. Especially comparing the older Leica 1200 LRF ot the newer 1200 CRF. They are not even close to the same.

I am a hunter and I hunt as hard as I can. So when I rate a rangefinder it is rated with Game only in mind. I used the Swaro this year to harvest an elk, a muley, 4 antelope, 2 whitetail, and so far 3 yotes. Ranges were from 375 to 1137 yards. I can't say ther is anything better for me yet. But I can tell you two of my complaints about the Swaro. One, reticle too big and beam devergence at 1000 is 6' Two, to slow, I don't need all that blinking and crap, I need an accurate range now. I do know from fitst hand experience that the new Leica will give you two or 3 ranges in the time it takes the swaro to give you one or in some cases just gives you the good ole _ _ _

I'm going to test them, I bought the most expensive of the three and from what I read thought I was buying the best. But I am far from pleased. Maybe I can not be pleased,,,:rolleyes: But after testing all 3 I will at least be satisfied I am using the one that is best for me on my $900 budget.

Jeff

Does anyone now of a rangefinder that well range in the snow . I hunt in big wide open flat snow covered fields and have tried 3 different range finders the most I can get is about 200 yards and the dogs area about 500 - 800 yards out . Dont care what it costs need to range these dogs and other things out farther any suggestions ?

Thinking it is the reflection of the snow throwing it off or ? Is there a stronger powered laser out there with good magnification as well .

I have had similar problems and finally figured out that the range finders are not allways
sighted in perfect.

So when I get a new one I allways check it out by hanging a metai disc about 3" in dia.
from a tree with nothing but sky in the background so it will be the only target that
the range finder will pick up and back up as far as possible.

The first time I had the same problem and could'nt figure it out I tryed the zero out
on the tail of a windmill and at 300yrds it was off by about 10".

Most rangefinders are close but you would be amazed at how far some are off. Just like a
bad zero a few inches at 100yrds could make a big difference at 500 yrds.

Once you know exactly how far off your crosshairs are it's easy to hold a little off to get the
best reflection off the varmint.

Just something to try.
J E CUSTOM

Jeff:

I'll be interested in the test results when they come out. I was torn between the Geovid and the Swaro last year, and ended up with the Swaro. On the hunt, somehow it switched between Yds and Meters, and the only way to get it to switch back to Yds was to take out the battery and re-install. THAT was a PITA in the field, 2,000 hard earned feet above camp...... Other than that one occurance, I've had no problems with it. It's never done it again.

In the evening I was able to range 1902 Yds, on two different days, same spot, same tree at the other end of the bowl that I was watching. During the mid-day sun, the rangefinding capability dropped down to 1,000 Yds.

Jeff:

I'll be interested in the test results when they come out. I was torn between the Geovid and the Swaro last year, and ended up with the Swaro. On the hunt, somehow it switched between Yds and Meters, and the only way to get it to switch back to Yds was to take out the battery and re-install. THAT was a PITA in the field, 2,000 hard earned feet above camp...... Other than that one occurance, I've had no problems with it. It's never done it again.

In the evening I was able to range 1902 Yds, on two different days, same spot, same tree at the other end of the bowl that I was watching. During the mid-day sun, the rangefinding capability dropped down to 1,000 Yds.

Man that could screw you up if it switched to meters and you didn't catch it. A week ago sunday mine quit 3 times that day. So I just take the batt out and put it back and it works till next time. I am sure they will fix it, I better send it in. So I better get a leica coming to use while it is out.:rolleyes:

Jeff

Re: Swaro versus Leica 1200 Scan

Jeff,

Maybe you've got a defective Swaro. Leica told me at the 2007 Shot Show that their new Leica was basically the same as the 1200 Scan model in a different shell/package. Whether the guy I talked to knew what he was saying or not I have no way of knowing.

My Leica 1200 Scan wasn't in the same league as my Swaro. The Swaro will range as far in bright light as the Leica would in low light. Max range on the Leica 1200 about 1100 yds. Max range on the Swaro about 1700 yds, however I haven't really tried to range much farther than 1700 yds with the Swaro, so I'm not really sure how far it will range.

Re: Swaro versus Leica 1200 Scan

Jeff,

Maybe you've got a defective Swaro. Leica told me at the 2007 Shot Show that their new Leica was basically the same as the 1200 Scan model in a different shell/package. Whether the guy I talked to knew what he was saying or not I have no way of knowing.

My Leica 1200 Scan wasn't in the same league as my Swaro. The Swaro will range as far in bright light as the Leica would in low light. Max range on the Leica 1200 about 1100 yds. Max range on the Swaro about 1700 yds, however I haven't really tried to range much farther than 1700 yds with the Swaro, so I'm not really sure how far it will range.

You are correct, I've never heard anyone but Boz claim that the new Leicas are much if any different than the 1200 Scan and the Liecas are not in the same league as far as distance is concerned. I also agree 110% that his Swarovski range finder is defective.

There is no doubt I have a bad swaro now. It is getting worse and I forgot to mention that it will now toss me a bad number if I am trying to range somethig to far away. But I have used other Swaro's too.

I don't buy the part about the old lieca and new leica being the same except for size. We all know some reps never step foot in the woods. I owned the bigger old 1200 LRF SCAN and I have used more than one of the new Leica 1200 CFR's. In the field!! Not at the counter at Cabelas. The new one is better ! I was side by side with my hunting buddy while we shot 5 antelope, this year, 300, 482, 713, 816, and 820 yards. Bright sun, the Leica was quicker every time. And get this, he is an avid long range hunter, took his Muley at 974 this year. He had a Leice CFR , sold it and bought a new Swaro,, Hated it so he sold it and bought another Leica CFR...

I just want to test them all and see for my self on ALL HUNTING aspects. I am kinds on a mission with this. My Swaro cost me a 180" plus WT this year cuz it would not give me the same number twice. I would not take the shot and a chance on wounding that deer right before dark. Two days later I rook the doe at over 1100 yards in full value wind. Guess that one will stick in my throat for a while... Sorry for the rant, but really guys, I have not taken a side yet, but I am on a mission to prove which one I will hunt with next year. Time will tell.

Thanks!
Jeff

I don't buy the part about the old lieca and new leica being the same except for size.

Broz, that's not the way I meant it. I never tried to imply that they are the same. What I meant was that the swaro was truly superior to either one.

Broz, that's not the way I meant it. I never tried to imply that they are the same. What I meant was that the swaro was truly superior to either one.

OK, I understand, but I need to prove this to my self. I can not say you are wrong, but I want to weigh all options. Right now the Swaro needs to be sent in and like I posted above I have seen the Leica range much quicker in the field. Plus none of us have heard to many REAL field reports on the new Zeiss monocular. If we were just talking ranging a rock bluff right before sundown I would agree with you. My Swaro has recorded readings of 1998 yards on rock. But I want to judge them all in field conditions on different days. Bright sun, evenings, flat ground, game, targets, repeatability, dependability, accuracy, beam devergence, speed, glass, "reticule visabilty".(.lol you know the swaro will loose that last one) Really I don't care which one is the best, the price is only 2 or 300 difference. I just want the one that works best for me, in my pack.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Fair enough! let us know your conclusions.
In the Sportsman's Warehouse I played with a Swaro that was pretty slow and I was having trouble seen the big circle, and reading the displayed distance. When I bought mine I made sure it was the newer one. It does make a difference on measuring speed, circle size and visibility of the circle as well as the distance displayed. In my opinion the biggest difference was in seen the display and speed. JMO.

Again I'd like to know what your final conclusions are.

elaborate more on this (vectronics) went to there website just a bunch of ham radio stuff etc. No rangefinder stuff on there website if I am on the right one . Did a goolge search but all radio stuff

so sorry, i didn't spell it correctly. try Vectronix. the PLRF( pocket lazer range finder) are a serious piece of equipement. a coyote at 700 on flat snow is a tall order!

Fair enough! let us know your conclusions.
In the Sportsman's Warehouse I played with a Swaro that was pretty slow and I was having trouble seen the big circle, and reading the displayed distance. When I bought mine I made sure it was the newer one. It does make a difference on measuring speed, circle size and visibility of the circle as well as the distance displayed. In my opinion the biggest difference was in seen the display and speed. JMO.

Again I'd like to know what your final conclusions are.

Wait a minute???????? Don't I have the newest one??? I just bought it late last summer.

DSC00954Large.jpg

Broz,
best I can tell, you do have the new one.
As stated before you better get a hold of Swarovski and send it back.
I was testing mine last night after sunset and off of the dirt off the side of a mountain at 1400 yards it was measuring almost instantaneously. I kid you not. I was impressed how fast I was getting my distances displayed.
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.