Range Finding Bino’s in Snow

PingGong3

Which is the best range finding scopes in the snow? I have a pair of Leicas that I used on my last elk hunt and the snow kept interfering with its ability to range, while a vortex pair wasn't having any issues at all. What do y'all recommend?

Thanks

My Leica will give no range at all and my guide had a leupold hand held which gave us inconsistent ranges past 300 and no range past 600. The main guide later told us that the hunt before us, they had the same issue and that someone had vortex fury's which had no issues and they relied on them.

My Leica will give no range at all and my guide had a leupold hand held which gave us inconsistent ranges past 300 and no range past 600. The main guide later told us that the hunt before us, they had the same issue and that someone had vortex fury's which had no issues and they relied on them.
Have you addressed/consulted with Leica about your issue?

I have Leica and in very heavy snow I have had issues with them not ranging as the laser seems to bounce off the snowflakes. Same issue in heavy fog or rain. I find it very interesting that the Vortex will range in those conditions. I really wonder what the difference is that causes their laser not to bounce back off the snow, fog etc.

Exactly! I paid a lot of money for these leicas and they failed me on a hunt when it was snowing. I will be selling them once I find a replacement.

Which model of Leica's?
Have had the snow and fog issue with the crf series and the geovids. I am going to get a set of vortex and take them with me in Nov to run alongside my crf 2400. Will hope we get snow or fog on a day or two to try them out. Vortex will never match the glass on the leica but will be interested in ranging performance. I carry the crf and don't need binos so likely will keep using them unless the vortex have much better glass than i expect. Would really like to know what the difference is in the laser technology.

Last edited:
Ran into this at a match. Sun with snow covered ground. All the top RF binos were out. Sig 10ks we're the best. Not in glass clarity. But in the snow. Not even a contest really.