mad as h*ll range finding in the snow

Not very encouraging customer warranty service from Swaro. Do they expect us to buy two of their units to keep one functional? Hunting seasons don't stop for 10 weeks when their LRF craps out. I'd like to have heard that they sent a replacement out.

I kinda agree, I even made sure to tell them I had an ATS 80 HD spotter and two Swaro scopes besides the Bino's and Laserguide I sent in. They did state that they were haveing trouble with customs even though they notified them in advance of shipments coming through. Said customs can take up to two weeks.

I guess I cary a spare pda and extra batteries. So a spare RF might be worth having. Or we could just limit our hunting to 300 yards....... Nahhhh that would suck.:D

Jeff

I previously owned a Leica Locator Plus which is the civilian labeled version of the Vector IV. It was rated for 4,000 yards and would do that easily in bright sunlight. It was an absolutely wonderful unit. I sold it several years ago because it was bulky and heavy...plus I found I never really used its full capability. I assumed I would easily find a lower range, lighter unit but I have failed so far. Reticule color is one serious limitation for me. I can't see the red/orange color of the Swarovski or Leica units you guys use.

In any case, my real point to make here is that even the 4,000 yard, million dollar Leica/Vector would not consistently range a deer at anywhere near 1k on a flat field, nor a smaller coyote past several hundred yards. Even with the Locator Plus I finally conceded that there just simply is a limitation on what the best units will do.

Trying to find the holy grail of range finders is a little bit like chasing your tail. But it is fun to do! :cool:

Thanks for the "new light" on the subject Len. That is interesting to hear. I doubt I would ever be able to afford the vector. But if I ever did and it failed to range a deer at 1K I would be very disappointed. I am still going to test the 3 units we are discussing here. Not to beat up on any one of them, but to prove two my self which one works best for me.

Jeff

Well, as a backup there's always the mil-dot reticule, although it's not as accurate as the laser. Faster, flatter trajectories are always nice!

I've heard of Swaro shipping a replacement (I can't remember if it was a bino, spotting scope or RF) to a guy in Alaska while he was on a hunt. I wonder if their customer service will do that in an emergency???

I while ago I bought a Strange 9" rear end from a guy that had it as a backup. He blew his Dana and bought 2 9"'ers "just in case". Once he got the good stuff, he never needed it.....

Hey Broz...

Any test results to share? Just wondering if you're still of the mind to test these three LRFs in the field - head to head. Hope life is well!

Hey broz whats up do we have any feedback on these yet ? Got the money need to spend it !

Sorry guys, I dropped the ball,,,:rolleyes: Well 1/2 way at least. Things have got rather busy here and I have to back out for now. But I can tell you I did do this much.

I got together with a friend and my son and we had my newly reconditioned Swaro Laserguide, and two brand new Leica CRF 1200's. We spent some time at straight up noon ranging brown cows in bright sun on flat ground. Out to 750 yards the Leica's were my choice. Reason? Faster, lighter, smaller, smaller reticle, easier display to read also instant readings. The swaro ranged the same cows in the same conditions but took longer to do it as you will have to hold your breath and remain steady while the swaro does that round and a round circle thing and then flashed 3 times then gives the reading.

Now that being said, again on brown cows in bright sun and out past 750 yards. The Swaro kicked butt. The Leica petered out. I was able to range the cows out to 1100 plus but the swaro would not. The swaro may not do it everytime either, but it would definatly do it when the Leica's would not.

Also earlier that morning we were ranging a 20"x20" white steel target at 1000 yards in morning light sun coming up.They both did a good job. Again I would pick the Leica here for the reticle, size and speed.

In the last hour of daylight they both are awesome , I would trust them both to 1200 yards which is my limit at this time for shooting game in ideal conditions.

Of these two units which will range the absolute farthest on any target, sign, house, or game??

Swaro, hands down out to 1998 yards. Leica would get to 1580.

So, my conclusion at this time?? I am keeping one of each. Why? After my Swaro failed me I want a spare, plus I will match them to the rifle I am hunting with that day. If the rifle is one of my carry rifles that I will not shoot past 700 yards. I will carry the Leica. If I have a heavy rifle and the chance of an over 700 yard shot is there,, the Swaro.

In my opinion, If swaro would change to a smaller reticle, make the display a bit easier to see and do away with all the circle, circle, circle, blink , blink, blink stuff. It wouls win my heart for sure.

These are my opinions so far on these two units. Take it for what it worth:D

gun)

Jeff

Finally got my bushnell back and it works 10x better than before ranged the neighbours tractor at 1689 yds today in overcast . And the 700-1000 range everything I asked of it . This is my comfort zone right now so for $300 it is my choice for now . cheers Jason

Guys, I don't want to mislead anyone so let me add this. I grouped all the "crap" that I ranged together. So I am not saying both of these RF's would not range signs farther than I tested. I didn't spend much time ranging houses, signs etc. Cuz I don't shoot or eat them. I spent the majority of the time ranging brown cows. They were always available to test with and I figure they are the closest to ranging game. I suggest you do the same with what ever you decide to carry for a RF. How far they will range a sign doesn't mean squat to me.:)

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.