Looking to get advice on initial setup

Well golly gee whiz, who knew that about lee. And here O am thinking using Lee dies and shooting repeatable sub-MOA groups at 600 yards was more than acceptable............................
Well, there you go. I'm glad your Lee dies are working out for you . Please share. What action, barrel, caliber, reamer, and load? Any 5 groups of 5 shots on a single sheet of paper you can share? What is the setup that delivered this? I'm interested as maybe I used the Lee dies wrong.

Yeah, here we go again.
I guess my neck only reloads for hunting and the clover leaf groups over 50 years didn't happen. Yes, neck sizing is used mainly for bolt guns, and you only need to bump shoulders when bolt lift is getting snug. And I guess the Factory crimp die doesn't work either, BUT IT DOES.
Don't mislead things for the OP. You can have your opinions and others can have theirs.
If you can't make accurate ammo with Lee dies, then you're doing something wrong, it's not the die.

So - going back to the original question. Look over the replies, and you will see some great info with as many opinions as there are folks that shoot and/or reload. My bottom line: Reloading manual,document what you do using quality equipment and measurement tools.
Savage Model 12 F T/R .308. Rock Chucker Supreme press. Lee Precision .308 4 Die Set, Mitutoyo Calipers, Lyman DPSII with RCBS 5-0-5 BB backup, Wilson trimmer w/308 F holder, Sinclair NT-4000 Neck Turning tool and mandrels, Couple of 600 yard targets - complete with a couple "oops" flyers on windy days. Hope that is what you were looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5176.PNG
    IMG_5176.PNG
    59.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
After 20 years of trial n error and tinkering and buying n selling I've settled on an old rockchucker for most of the accuracy work with a little lee cheapie on the side that is the dedicated ram prime machine. Almost all my expensive dies either sit on a shelf or I sold or machined into something else, and 90% of my hand loading is done with lee sets, mostly collet dies, not because they are super awesome or the other kids suck, but because they work great and usually cost a lot less. Im not a "brand name" kinda guy either.
Handgun rounds I do on the little lee press a lot because it's just easier to run fast. If I shot lots of handgun rounds I'd get a progressive.

I'd seriously suggest getting a lee cheapy press, ram prime kit, case trimmer stud and cutter with the right pin for your cartridge, lee book, and a set of lee dies (collet dies are awesome but you'll need a fl die from time to time too) for your gun. Its a fantastic book that you should read in its entirety, twice, and it has load data for dam near everything. Start there, and UNDERSTAND what you are doing every step along the way. This is 95% of it... tools are important, but using the tools properly is the key. One of my grandpa's favorite sayings was "knowing a thing, and thinking you know a thing feel about the same. They arent." He was the kind of man that never used a pair of pliers in his life :)
I'm sure You will add bigger press like rockchucker too, but wait for a deal on a used one. Right now definitely isnt the time to try getting into this bottomless pit, but if you keep at it, deals will show up.
when u get a bigger press, you'll always have the little guy Off to the side set up to prime cases or run a factory crimp die. Saves a bunch of time.

If You dont listen to anything else I said, at least get the book.

Last edited:
Plus 1 on what Biff said.
The Lee book has great indo, really good for load data info. Plus Richard Lee knew did lots of research, knew what he was doing.
In addition to the other dies, the Full Length die has a built in stuck case remover that works great and saves time, money and decapper pins. The other makes you pretty much have to buy a kit to remove them.
The Lee presses are much less expensive not cheap is the way I would say it, like all Lee components.
I use the Load Master progressive press for everything, and a single stage on rare occasions like decapping live primers, but also do that on the LM.
The progressive is great for bulk brass prep work instead of a single stage too. And no I don't work for Lee

So - going back to the original question. Look over the replies, and you will see some great info with as many opinions as there are folks that shoot and/or reload. My bottom line: Reloading manual,document what you do using quality equipment and measurement tools.
No better proof than those targets. Lee dies and factory Savage 12 308 shooting sub-3/8 MOA….is my math right? At 600yds no less. All shown on electric target capture. This must be some kind of factory rifle world record…..does anyone know?

Same at 1000yds?

No better proof than those targets. Lee dies and factory Savage 12 308 shooting sub-3/8 MOA….is my math right? At 600yds no less. All shown on electric target capture. This must be some kind of factory rifle world record…..does anyone know?

Same at 1000yds?
Not a record. I am working my way up and the others guys I shoot with are mentoring me, and out-shooting me!! My goal is a consistent 190+ out of 200 at 600 yards. Hope to shoot 1000 later this year.