I'm looking for advice on loading .30-06

Here are the targets

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 107
I feel like this last target is not a true representation of what this loading can do. I feel like I made some mistakes when firing these rounds. This was 57gr.

All of the targets need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Not sure between the 56 and 56.5 loading is the loading to adjust seating depth if I need to. I am open to advice, I don't have anyone to ask other than on here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 81
I feel like this last target is not a true representation of what this loading can do. I feel like I made some mistakes when firing these rounds. This was 57gr.

All of the targets need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Not sure between the 56 and 56.5 loading is the loading to adjust seating depth if I need to. I am open to advice, I don't have anyone to ask other than on here.
How long are waiting between groups? I feel like your barrel is heating up and causing impact shifts. Looks like the first target, the bullets are impacting together. And then the second target they open a little more, and the third they are all over the place...
Some of my pencil barrel rifles, I only do three shot groups, because of the thin barrel.
Five shot groups don't really represent a good load when barrel warp comes into play..

I was waiting about 15 min. Between different loadings. I would shoot shots and let cool and the 3. The last target I let the barrel cool, but I'm afraid I rushed the shots and it heats up.

A three shot group might be a better representation of the rifles ability, if it's a sporter barrel..

Ok I will do that from now on. I tried 5 shots thinking it would be better but the heat is a issue with 5 shots. I will redo these loads and only shoot 3 shots

Midmo, the more you shoot the better you'll get, Sierra has a reload help line free, proper cleaning goes hand in hand with good shooting, get a one piece cleaning rod , coated is better,& don't forget a bore guide ,neglected Barrels rust & Pit making them copper coated tomato stakes . Your 700s a great platform to get you started , consider getting it pillar glass beded ,& a trigger job . Choise wisely your gunsmith and don't pay twice!!! When you can out shoot this cat gun) your well on your way lol :D:D:D,above all keep it FUN, that keeps it interesting. Good reloading to you! Montanas Big Sky Country!!!! Get you Some, the sooner the Better :cool: regards jjmp

Jimp,
I have been looking at bell and carlsons but I have also been looking at a laminate wood stock. Not sure which route I will go. I have a Timney trigger now that has helped a lot ( the factory trigger was so heavy).

Jimp,
I have been looking at bell and carlsons but I have also been looking at a laminate wood stock. Not sure which route I will go. I have a Timney trigger now that has helped a lot ( the factory trigger was so heavy).

My .30-06 AI has a B&C Medalist Classic on it. Works great for me. And with the 26" sendero/varmint barrel, it really helps to keep the weight down. A lot of times for hunting, practical trumps tactical.

Midmo, Timney very good, bell & Carlson very good,laminated wood is tuff , can be very pretty but it's heavy, what scope you running, brass primers ,saw you posted about spritzer vs boatails loading manuals have drop chart figures for their bullets, again reading is your friend,later regards jjmp

The main reason I was asking about boat tail vs flat base is because I have heard people say their rifle doesn't shoot one as well as the other. After I read some I figured it was because the flat base are just easier to get to shoot accurately. I have a redfield 4x12x42

Opinions very , the best is trying them yourself cause no to rifles are the same , keep a log book on your reloads, because there's so many different combinations it's unreal. This saves time and frustration & duplicateion. Nice scope good power range there , I reloaded for a friends savage 06 last fall ,an axis model ,it didn't like the 125 sierras at all ,tried some 150s with h4350 and bingo ,3shoot groups at 100yds were 3/8 inch , can't tell you how many times I cleaned that barrel, but finally it came around and started grouping,tryed some 225 yard shots and it did .75 tryed one shot at 300 just to test scopes bdc and ability of a somewhat green shooter,and he shot a bulls eye, you know the saying practice makes perfect? It Very much applys in rifle shooting,and it's a confidence builder . Later gsty, jjmp

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.