I'm looking for advice on loading .30-06

One load is 55.5 gr of H4350 and the other is 56 gr H4350. I still have room to work up and from what I understand between 56 and 57 gr of h4350 is a genral sweet spot. I will continue with their powder and bullet combo.

I like to investigate a different primer if I think the load is getting close and I've played with seating depth. It can really change a group. Could be better could be worse. What is your SD currently? Single digit SD isn't hard to get in either of my 06 rifles. Reloder 17 also maybe something to take a look at, or if temperature stabile powder is important IMR 4166 is worth a look.

I (like a bunch of the guys here) started out on the 30-06 and have owned a bunch of them over the years.
I went on to bigger boomers like the 300rum and never looked back; until I fond a sweet deal on a lh ss m700 30-06 at a lgs with a 2-10x Weaver already on top around 2 years ago.
I bought the rifle, and immediately found the three screw Leopold base was trash, one top screw hole on the action had to be chased as it was cross threaded, and the stock was bashing the side of the barrel as the channel on the laminate was a bit warped...That, combined with a 5#+ trigger made me think this rifle needed to be torn down and re-built.
I decided to work with the rifle and cure its ills instead of building again, and have finally sorted the rifle out from a 2moa problem to a rifle capable of around 1/2 moa performance using stock equipment. I did toss the leupy top end for Weaver bases and Weaver tactical rings, but the rest of the pipe is as purchased.

I really didn't do new load development for this rifle, but have instead re-visited loads that shot well in my previous rifles; I have been using I4895 with 150 nos bt's and I4350 with 165 hornady fb's... Just a week ago I decided to play with the 200 eld-x (200 sierra match also) and rl22; it seems alright but the wind was 30 mph+ and gusty so I can't report groups yet.

Check everything. Accuracy is not only about whether the barrel likes a bullet and powder. This rifle did not turn on until I got everything sorted... Now I've got a ss 280 barrel lying in my shop with nowhere to go; I'm not setting that pipe on the '06 as she is shooting too well...

I haven't played with seating depth yet. I am seating to the specs of my Hornady manual and I can't think of the exact number right now. I figured with the groups I have gotten I can still increase powder and adjust seating depth once I improve my shooting technique.

I bought some H4350 ( because it is not temp sensitive) to charge cases for my rem 700 .30-06. I am using 150gr bullets. I have some Sierra gameking soft point boat tails, some Hornady interlocks, and some Hornady sst's. I started mid range for charge recommendation in my Hornady manual and I have not gotten great results until today and I would t call it great. I had 58.5gr of h4359 under a 150gr sst and I got 1 inch 3 shot group at 100. Everything I have loaded has been under that charge and nothing under 2 inch group size. My manual says 60.6 is max but Hodgkin says 61.6 is max. On my 58.5 load the bolt was just a tad harder to open than normal but no other signs that I saw of high pressure.
Now I am new to reloading but I know h4350 is better for 165 and above. Since I am getting a little harder bolt on open am I safe to go up a .1 of a gr at a time to try to tighten my groups or is it time to change either bullet weight or powder?
I would like to stick with a Hodgdon extreme or another power that is not temp sensitive.
It is possible your rifle does not like 150 gr, try 165gr. I have great results with 165 gr in my model 70 extreme weather .30-06 springfield.

230 Berger OTM has served me very well. H4831sc is my powder of choice. Single digit SD, minimal wind drift and a huskemaw optic have proven to be effective on our big bodied white tails from 43 yards to 720 and everything in between. Click the safety off, tickle the trigger, DRT, get the truck. Every. Time.

I have been wanting to try the 230 OTM myself, would you mind sharing your load info? I'm building a Tikka T3 30-06 with a MDT Tac 21 chassis. I've always loved the 30-06 and once I found out what the 'ol -06 was capable of with Re17/22 I decided it had to be my next build.

I have been wanting to try the 230 OTM myself, would you mind sharing your load info? I'm building a Tikka T3 30-06 with a MDT Tac 21 chassis. I've always loved the 30-06 and once I found out what the 'ol -06 was capable of with Re17/22 I decided it had to be my next build.

You should Ackley Improve it with a 40º shoulder and run some 7828 SSC. It's a pretty good setup. :D

Your at max for that combo, I would do what Benchracer said.
Also, I used IMR 4064 with bullets up to 165 grains, and the 4350s for 178 grain up to 215 grain bullets with good results.

I have had the same experience with any of the 4350's and lighter bullets in the .30-06. 4064 and R15 worked better for me with 150's and 165's. With 180's 4350 worked well and R-22 was better. I believe the whole "Temperature sensitive" thing is a bit over blown by the marketing types.

I haven't played with the 230 Berger OTM with any other powder than H4831sc. I like the better case fill ratio. Due to the large variation in brass capacity on the market I don't feel great posting what I am running. I worked up to my load .1grain at a time with a magnetospeed until I encountered the first indication of excessive pressure then I backed off to best accuracy. It is slightly more than the published load in the Berger reloading manual #1 but not much. use winchester brass weight sorted (184-187 grains naked). I bought 250 cases and ended up with 102 pieces that fit in that weight slot. Some were as heavy as 205 grains, some as light as 177 grains. With 205g brass I run into a slightly heavy bolt lift TWO full grains below their published data. I am running 2440 fps with an SD of 8. My other .30/06 wants about .4g less powder for best accuracy and runs 2390 in 188-192g Winchester brass . YMMV

I have had the same experience with any of the 4350's and lighter bullets in the .30-06. 4064 and R15 worked better for me with 150's and 165's. With 180's 4350 worked well and R-22 was better. I believe the whole "Temperature sensitive" thing is a bit over blown by the marketing types.

A 150g Nosler ballistic tip over 59g to 60g of Norma URP runs 2950 to 3000 fps and wrecks deer. I used this combination before Berger brought the 230 OTM to market. I never had the opportunity to take any deer with the 150 Nosler beyond 325 yards, but it performed very nicely. norma data shows a max of 60.5g and 3120 fps. None of my rifles could actually get all the way to their published maximum.
.30/06 isn't a tough round to load for. Over the years I've had several, none required much more than picking a suitable powder for the bullet weight and pick the bullet I felt was suitable for my intended quarry. Load up a ladder test and find the best accuracy Then adjust seating depth or switch primers to shrink the group. Most importantly, have fun and be safe.

Is that what you're running? I've thought about it.

What kind of speeds are you getting with the heavies?

Yep, with the Berger 185 VLD's, a 26" 1:12" twist barrel, and range-pickup (formed, of course) Rem '06 brass, I'm pushing it around the 2,900-3,000 fps MV range, I am still finalizing some load data, but so far it's substantial. Then again, since every rifle is different, my barrel could just be one of those random freaks that produces above-average velocities.

I have a 1:12 twist and I'm at 500' elevation, so I really can't run anything heavier than a 190gr bullet. The 185's will still produce right around 1,500 fps & 950 lb.ft. of energy at 1,000 yards. So, at a grand, I'm putting down around the same numbers as a point-blank shot with full-house loads from a .357 Magnum with a 158gr bullet. I'd say that'll do. :cool:

Yep, with the Berger 185 VLD's, a 26" 1:12" twist barrel, and range-pickup (formed, of course) Rem '06 brass, I'm pushing it around the 2,900-3,000 fps MV range, I am still finalizing some load data, but so far it's substantial. Then again, since every rifle is different, my barrel could just be one of those random freaks that produces above-average velocities.

I have a 1:12 twist and I'm at 500' elevation, so I really can't run anything heavier than a 190gr bullet. The 185's will still produce right around 1,500 fps & 950 lb.ft. of energy at 1,000 yards. So, at a grand, I'm putting down around the same numbers as a point-blank shot with full-house loads from a .357 Magnum with a 158gr bullet. I'd say that'll do. :cool:

Thanks for the info!

I am planning on a 1:10 26" barrel and most of my shooting is done at 4000' ASL, although my shooting ranges from 3000'-6000'.
If I can get PT&G to make a reamer that has the same design as the Serengeti reamer(with the 1.5 degree leade) but with a 40 degree shoulder than maybe I will go the AI route.

Good to see a few folks out there that still love the 30-06 and realize it's true potential.
I'm trying to reduce the number of different chamberings I own and focus more on perfecting my loading and shooting. I can cover any hunting or target situation that I will ever run into with 223, 30-06, and 338 Lapua. And Lapua makes great brass for all three :)

Hi midmo, how did all this info work out for you? personally I thought your higher powered reloads showed very nice on the way accuracy. Caution is great,and always double check your work. Believe it or not Reading and cross referencing your reloading manuals really helps , yes lots of good advice given , if you don't have reloading manuals go online to get info . A great deer bullet is a 125 grain Sierra spritzer ,not that any of your 150 s weren't great choices , but that 125s a joy to shoot and it recoils less . Oh by the way h4350 is a great powder, buy a cronograph even a cheapy it's better then guessing. regards & good shooting jjmp.

Jjmp,
All of his info has helped me a lot! I went out today and got some great groups and now I might start playing with he seating depth. I have been looking at the lighter bullets but I have for some reason just stuck with 150's. I might start going heavier because a friend of mine just moved to Montana and I may have a chance to hunt up that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.