Looking to get advice on initial setup

SpeedymanWCC

I'm looking for advice for my initial reloading setup. I've read all kinds of reviews on green, red, blue, and black presses. I've read that arbor are the true accuracy masters. Here's what I'll be loading for initially: 257wby. I want superb accuracy and quality over quantity. I don't compete. I wouldn't mind later, not sure if the 257 Wby is competition smart. I also like to cry once and prefer quality. I have zero experience reloading. Thanks in advance!!

For all out sexy and a price that will make your wallet cry: Area419 Zero press.

Others I recently considered buying:
  • RCBS Rebel
  • Redding Ultramag
  • Redding Big Boss II
I recently purchased the Are419. I had the Forster CO-AX before that. I just never warmed up to the CO-AX but I can't say why. I just didn't.

After the press, you've got plenty of ways to spend even more money. $300 die sets, electronic powder dispensers, annealing machines..... I'm 1,000's of dollars in at this point with just reloading equipment.

Do you have a budget in mind for you initial investment to be able to load some Accurate rounds?
Also how small of groups at what range do you require to be satisfied with your initial investment?

Very few use many of the tools included in reloading kits after purchasing them. Buying individually "possibly second hand" you can have the accuracy you're after. I've found with my .257Wby some of the extremely pricey tools aren't available. Good quality dies, a good press are a must, they hardly ever wear out. There are a ton of other tools needed and with them a lot of dollars. As you get started you will find you need more and more. Good luck

Do you have a budget in mind for you initial investment to be able to load some Accurate rounds?
Also how small of groups at what range do you require to be satisfied with your initial investment?
I want to buy the press first and then buy components as I go. What's a press that will give the best accuracy?

For all out sexy and a price that will make your wallet cry: Area419 Zero press.

• RCBS Rebel
  • Redding Ultramag
  • Redding Big Boss II
I recently purchased the Are419. I had the Forster CO-AX before that. I just never warmed up to the CO-AX but I can't say why. I just didn't.

After the press, you've got plenty of ways to spend even more money. $300 die sets, electronic powder dispensers, annealing machines..... I'm 1,000's of dollars in at this point with just reloading equipment.
I don't mind crying once but ****! The cost of the 419 press reminds me of the scene in the movie "Airplane" where everyone gets in line to smack the inconsolable crying blonde lady 😂

Very few use many of the tools included in reloading kits after purchasing them. Buying individually "possibly second hand" you can have the accuracy you're after. I've found with my .257Wby some of the extremely pricey tools aren't available. Good quality dies, a good press are a must, they hardly ever wear out. There are a ton of other tools needed and with them a lot of dollars. As you get started you will find you need more and more. G

Very few use many of the tools included in reloading kits after purchasing them. Buying individually "possibly second hand" you can have the accuracy you're after. I've found with my .257Wby some of the extremely pricey tools aren't available. Good quality dies, a good press are a must, they hardly ever wear out. There are a ton of other tools needed and with them a lot of dollars. As you get started you will find you need more and more. Good luck
Is there a specific guide for the 257Wby. I've read that you only neck size this cartridge to get the most life out of the Wby brass. What dies are worth investing in? I've seen different "sets" that are match and some that aren't. Some are 3 die sets also. Seems like different brands have different nomenclature. I ordered the recommended book, and I will read it, I'm sure the book will explain a lot. I'm just wondering if there are known components or brands that work better with Wby. The book might not go into detail about specific calibers and their quirky nuances. I get the liability aspect of reloading, so I won't ask for others specific load data. I will stick to the reloading data manuals and work up from the minimums and watch for pressure signs, as I increase powder. Thanks!

• RCBS Rebel
  • Redding Ultramag
  • Redding Big Boss II

Well with the lack of factory 257Wby available, it looks like I'll be taking the reloading path. GunBroker idiots are asking and getting over $600 for 100 rounds of 257Wby. I already have 160 once fired Wby brass and 2 boxes of bullets. I won't mind shooting the reloaded cartridges when I have the reloading equipment to make more. The initial investment in the reloading infrastructure will pay off in the long run. I get that the reloaded cartridges will cost more than $6 initially, but that price will reduce over time. As long as the powder and consumable components stay readily available. Plus I'm looking for a hobby that I can possibly pass down to my kids. If the little bastages don't want to learn then so be it...lol

I'm much more basic in my approach and I feel I have great results over the last +45 years of reloading. You can make perfectly good and very accurate ammunition with basic reloading tools at a much lower cost than other tools.
I think any of the kits are the perfect way to get started and will make accurate ammunition. Accurate to me is .75" or less at 100 yards using hunting bullets not re labeled target bullets. Eldx and boogers are not what I would use to hunt food I will eat.

Last edited:
I'm much more basic in my approach and I feel I have great results over the last +45 years of reloading. You can make perfectly good and very accurate ammunition with basic reloading tools at a much lower cost than other tools.
I think any of the kits are the perfect way to get started and will make accurate ammunition. Accurate to me is .75" or less at 100 yards using hunting bullets not re labeled target bullets. Eldx and boogers are not what I would hunt food I will eat.
I really like the federal trophy copper, factory loaded, bullets to hunt with, but they have disappeared. I've used them exclusively in my 30-06 for deer the last couple of years. Now they can't be found. I was a Federal fan boy until they started to discontinue bullet offerings, aren't on the shelves anywhere and are no longer available directly. I'm at a loss how Norma, Remington, and Hornady can be found at local sporting good stores. Yet there are zero Federal offerings. Stumped 🤔