looking for the be all and end all in .30 cal long range

Daniel Ludwig

had a chat today with my gunsmith, and he beat tbe same thing into my head, dont use a mauser action, especially since you already have a magnum 700 action. so...we talked awhile and he pushed the same round on me everyone else does, the 300RUM, im just not sure its what i want, not that im worried about recoil, this will be a heavy rifle so i really dont care, i just think there has gotta be something better out there, without going to the huge boltface for the big Weatherby case, anyone got some suggestions?
thanks
Daniel Ludwig

Daniel,You don't say if there is a requirment for a certain amount of energy or just accuracy...If it's accuracy then i think the 300ack is about tops right now..I will build one in '05 for 1000yd bench,i understand it will drive a 210 grainer up to 3150 fps in a 30 in barrel with quite long barrel life even at this pace...JR..Jeff Rogers........................................................................................................................................................................... [ QUOTE ]
had a chat today with my gunsmith, and he beat tbe same thing into my head, dont use a mauser action, especially since you already have a magnum 700 action. so...we talked awhile and he pushed the same round on me everyone else does, the 300RUM, im just not sure its what i want, not that im worried about recoil, this will be a heavy rifle so i really dont care, i just think there has gotta be something better out there, without going to the huge boltface for the big Weatherby case, anyone got some suggestions?
thanks
Daniel Ludwig

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan in WV,

The 300 RUM is about as much snort as you can fit into a Rem 700 action without going to a larger bolt face and then only the 30-378 or 300 Kahn really offer anything more in performance to justify the increased machining costs and brass costs.

Compared to all the other extreme range rounds in 30 cal, the 300 RUM is very near the top rung in ballistic Performance but as was asked already, what purpose will this rifle serve. If your punching paper at 1000 yards, there is no need for a 300 RUM nor will the throat last long enough for a com rifle.

For such a rifle, the 300 Win Mag would be very hard to top loaded with a 190 to 220 gr VLD.

If you will be hunting, anything from a 300 Win up will work great, hell, a fast twist 300 WSM will perform great as well but it will lack the energy of the larger magnums at extreme range.

There are alot of things to decide before you select a round. I have a 300 RUM and love it but its throat was toast after 1500 rounds. This a reason why guys go up to the 338 bore size with case volumes of this size. They are more efficent and they have longer throat life.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.