Looking for a good all around bullet for .308 win.

Choose 3 bullets you would reccomend for the above described purpose.

• Total voters
cant vote my selection isn't there. I use 178 grain hornady hpbt match for target, hornady 178 grain a max for hunting. both are capable of 1000 yrds sub moa from my sr-25. my go to bullet is the remington premier 180 grain green ballistic tip bt (hornady 180 grain amax) it has slightly better bc (.56 g1)than the hpbt (.54 g1) match but also costs more. I can push all three to 2700 fps but prefer a more moderate loading at 2600 both loadings are highly accurate at 1/2 moa at 100 yrds from a semi-autogun)

First, I am of the opinion a controlled expansion bullet is the best choice for hunting except varmints.

Second, what distance are you shooting. Bullets are designed to work at specific velocity ranges. What works well at 100 yards or less is not necessarily what works best at 500 yards.

Third, for a whitetail sized animal the bullet choice should have a minimum of 200-400 foot pounds of energy.

In my opinion the Swift Shirocco, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, and Barns tripple shocks have the most to offer.

For 0-300 yards I would prefer 130-150 grain bullets. For 300 yards and out I would prefer 165-180 grain bullets.

Nat Lambeth

cant vote my selection isn't there. I use 178 grain hornady hpbt match for target, hornady 178 grain a max for hunting. both are capable of 1000 yrds sub moa from my sr-25. my go to bullet is the remington premier 180 grain green ballistic tip bt (hornady 180 grain amax) it has slightly better bc (.56 g1)than the hpbt (.54 g1) match but also costs more. I can push all three to 2700 fps but prefer a more moderate loading at 2600 both loadings are highly accurate at 1/2 moa at 100 yrds from a semi-autogun)

What barrel length with those velocities & which powder? I did not know Rem. used A-Max, would have figured BT or SST

24" bull barrel:Dgun)

powder 43.3 grains reloader 15 gets me 2600 fps

comparing the 180 sst next to the remington premier 180 shows the sst to have a longer boat tail and shorter nose. same with the 178 amax and 180 premier(amax)

hornady also makes ballistic tips for remington in .22 mag. hornadys offering is much cheaper

24" bull barrel:Dgun)

powder 43.3 grains reloader 15 gets me 2600 fps

comparing the 180 sst next to the remington premier 180 shows the sst to have a longer boat tail and shorter nose. same with the 178 amax and 180 premier(amax)

hornady also makes ballistic tips for remington in .22 mag. hornadys offering is much cheaper

I will try some of these "Premier's". I did not know they were Amax, thought they were thye Nos. BT.

168 SMK
43.0+/- grains of IMR 8208 XBR
5 shots about 1/2" at 100 yds.

" plus one" on that formula and bullet."

I know this is a old thread, but good info on the 308 never gets old. I might add the 175 SMK as well. The BC is a little better for " long range" work.

To be honest, you really do not list a bad bullet up there for performance on deer size game. I have shot most of these bullets and all have performed well in certain rifles.

Bullets like the Ballistic Tips, Sierra Kings and Hornady bullets generally shoot very well in most rifles and handguns. Of the three I like ht eon game performance of the Ballistic Tip the best because of its solid base and heavier tapered jacket.

The Speer Deep Shock has alot of potential but I fear that it will not be given a fair shake simply because it is a "Speer" bullet.

The only bullet I would say may be a bit sub par compared to the rest in accuracy would be the Speer 165 gr Spitzer as I have found some of these bullets, the HotCore design anyway, can at times have air pockets in the core which is a result of the bullet making process with this bullet.

This inconsistancy can be a problem at longer ranges.

Really, whichever your rifle likes is the best pick. As far as for use on deer, there is not a bullet in the bunch that would not get the job done at 308 velocities.

Good shooting,

Kirby Allen(50)

I agree Kirby, I got my first 308 back in 1964, and had one all these years. I shot every factory round out one, and reloaded a bunch. You have to remember , bullet making is a process, and nothing is perfect, That's why we call some of them fliers... I never had a problem with a Speer bullet.

lightbulbOne question I have is , how did you find the air pocket in the Speer bullet?

I been using the Varget with 150 gr NOS BT.... I was surprised at my accuracy. I'm a hunter and that's what I reload for , if I was a target shooter, I would choose differently. The trouble is finding powder.:)

You should definitely go heavier. I've never had any good long range experience with any of the 160's 30 cal bullets. The 175 gr SMK is one idea. I recommend 178 ELD-x for killing. Thats the other thing, train how you want to perform in the field, dont shot one type of ammo then switch to you hunting ammo and roll out...train with only one type of bullet and load.

For Hunting in 308 Win

165gr SBTHP Gameking
165 Silvertip
165 Nosler BT

For Target
168 Sierra MK
168 Hornady BTHP
175gr OTM Berger

IMR 4064 and Varget and Reloader 15.5

Last edited:

Recent Posts