Savage transformation All around long range/ varmint rig

At this point 6mm CM is looking pretty solid along with what seems like an endless number of other options...

If you are talking about the 6mm Competition Match I think that would be a really nice cartridge choice among the others mentioned here, except they are getting 4000 rounds of barrel life, mainly due to a slightly larger case to get enough slower burning h-1000 in the case. Otherwise, if you are talking about the 6mm Creedmore, it doesn't seem to have any advantage over the others.

From what I understand of Joe Hendricks design, it is more about using a slow burning powder and using JB bore bright to burnish the throat often, regardless of the case.

That being said, the .220 swift AI with 80 grain bullets seems like a pretty good step to save you money and if you can use as cool burning powder as possible you might increase barrel life.

I build a Savage 6BR three years ago; easy to load and shoot accurately to 1000 yd. Lapua brass is nearly always available; just stick in 30gr Varget and shoot it. However a year ago I did my first 223, also a Savage, and it shoots just as well but just not as far. I have taken it effectively to 700yd with 69SMK before running out of scope adjustment; it did so well I recently added a 20MOA rail and worked up a load for 75BTHP and can't wait to take it out further. Now I shoot it more than all my other rifles combined; easy to develop loads and more options available for brass, powder, bullets than the other more glamorous calibers that you will have difficulty finding components. Yes you will fight the wind with the 223. Both these calibers will get you to 800, but you also need to consider which caliber you can get loading components for these days if you want a lot of trigger time.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.