Savage transformation All around long range/ varmint rig

evans1010

I am asking for a lot here but let me know your your thoughts...
I received a Savage 112bvss-s in .220 Swift for my 15th birthday, 16 years ago. I have about 2000 rounds down the tube and am still in love with the uniqueness of the gun and caliber combo. Along with the accuracy, the best 5 shot group was just under. 25 and with mild hand loads it will hold close to that to this day. It's just time for an update.

I have an unfinished Stockade elk stalker stock and I am trying to settle on a caliber and barrel. I would like to have the following one complete (though I realize being perfect at any one won't happen): solid prairie dog gun, a solid base for learning long range basics, and possible long range practical rifle starter gun though I realize the single shot action is far from ideal. Basically I want trigger time getting comfortable on targets to 800 or so.

I am thinking a stainless 26" Savage bull barrel contour, 8 twist in 6mm. Caliber is a tossup, I will reload though I would prefer not to but too much time into forming cases. At this point 6mm CM is looking pretty solid along with what seems like an endless number of other options...

Thoughts???
Nick

Excellent caliber choice! The 6mm has to be one of the best all around calibers there is. The plain old .243 Winchester is a great option. I would go with a slower 1-9 twist that way you can shoot light 75s-87s for the p-dogs and heavier 105s for long range work.

Quote: At this point 6mm CM is looking pretty solid

What's wrong with a 6.5 Creedmoore? Would just be easier on the barrel and Hornady match ammo for it is reasonably priced and accurate.

I'm in the process of building another 6mm gun myself for LR varminting. I had it narrowed down to 3 cartridges. 6XC, 6SLR and 6x47. After much internal debate I went with the 6x47. I like the small primer (have 7k of them), case design, smaller powder usage when compared to the 243 sized cases, while still having enough horsepower to push the high BC berger 105s well over 3000fps and shoot 1000yds if I want. Its feeds wonderfully out of a repeater too. . No fireforming needed, no special dies, brass is strong and readily available from many vendors. Yeah it operates with a little more pressure than the .243 but Im willing to accept that since the brass is strong and top shelf. However, If I was to build a 243 based case it would be the 6SLR as its everything the 243 should be IMO in terms of case design without doing anything other than running it through a sizer die to form.

I should also say that if you are looking for a round that will offer you just about everything under thes sun (except higher velocites) in terms of long barrel life (2500+ rounds), excellent LR ballistics, legendary accuracy, ease of loading, low cost of reloading, strong brass then you might want to look long and hard at the 6BR. I have one and will always have one for the above reasons. Its a joy to shoot when your other rifles arent an economical choice.

Last edited:
I would go for a 260 or 6.5 creed. Little better bullet options for the long range work and still have varmint weight bullets available and they will all shoot good with the standard 8 twist.

6.5 Creedmoor gets my vote. Thats my varmint/ deer rifle and let me tell you.... the coyotes and woodchucks have really bad days when i line up on them with my Creedmoor :D

6mm BR, 6mm Dasher, 6XC. They win the most competitions. David Tubb and German Salazar shoot the 6XC to 1000 yards. Good barrel life for a 6mm, lots of info for reloading.

6mm BR, 6mm Dasher, 6XC. They win the most competitions. David Tubb and German Salazar shoot the 6XC to 1000 yards. Good barrel life for a 6mm, lots of info for reloading.

+1 Those are all good options as well. The 6mms are really starting to take over.

Thanks for the input all. I like the thought of going with the 6.5 but as I plan to use this for prairie dogs I would like to keep as much in the scope upon firing as possible. I don't have experience with any of these rounds, expecially in a 13 pound gun but will any of these allow me to keep a kill in the scope? I realize range and magnification play a big role here but you get the point.

On reading these I am thinking that barrel life is also a consideration that I hadn't previously given much thought to. Cost will be a consideration as well, that being said the two Creedmoor options are looking pretty good.

Nick

Thanks for the input all. I like the thought of going with the 6.5 but as I plan to use this for prairie dogs I would like to keep as much in the scope upon firing as possible. I don't have experience with any of these rounds, expecially in a 13 pound gun but will any of these allow me to keep a kill in the scope? I realize range and magnification play a big role here but you get the point.

On reading these I am thinking that barrel life is also a consideration that I hadn't previously given much thought to. Cost will be a consideration as well, that being said the two Creedmoor options are looking pretty good.

Nick

You would be better off going with one of the 6mms for your purpose. Less powder and lighter bullets=less recoil.

Re-read the OP post and I agree. I have been looking at a 6BR myself. Seen a couple guys shoot them to 600yd. Crazy accurate cartridge.

I'm also really interested in a 6mmBR Remington. What's your loads for you 6mmBR? I'm debating between this and the 6x45.

Why not do a fast twist 220 or the Ackley version and shoot the heavies 75 grains and up. You already like the swift probably have brass and dies. Should be cheaper assuming you are set up to reload the swift already. Only have to shell out for the barrel bullets and slower powder. Good luck and good hunting.

Why not do a fast twist 220 or the Ackley version and shoot the heavies 75 grains and up. You already like the swift probably have brass and dies. Should be cheaper assuming you are set up to reload the swift already. Only have to shell out for the barrel bullets and slower powder. Good luck and good hunting.

Because Swifts are barrel burners.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.