What's all the tactical stuff for?

Tactical products are big business. It's carried to the extreme by the commercial and media sectors. I don't have a particular need for camo jockey shorts but someone must be buying them. If you can filter out a lot of the dumb stuff, and marketing hype, there are some very useful tools and concepts that can be applied to our sport. I believe the "Tactical" movement has been a big positive for us because it did drive commercial advances like the development of better scopes for long range use. I guess one has to be able to take the good with the bad.

A lot of the equipment I use for long range hunting I could only dream about during my 25 year stint as a LEO. I must admit though that I haven't been able to talk myself into the Black Gun thing yet. My heavy barreled Rem 700 .308 with the H-S Pres. stock on it is not black. It is actually dark brown. I would of loved to have it with its Nightforce 5.5X22X50 NSX NPR2 scope on it back when I was in the business but nothing like that was available at the time unless your dept was able to acquire a Military sniper rifle but most smaller dept's were so under funded that you were lucky if you were supplied with anything.
Most of what is sold as tactical guns now is a civilian model made up to look like something the Military is using as there is a huge support for the people in the Military right now. Everyone wants to be like them. Or you have guys coming back out of the Military that are use to the tactical guns and equipment and learned to really like it and are buying into that market.
You just don't see as many people buying guns with really nice wood and high polish blue but if you put the wars behind us for 10 years that will all change again. I'm old enough to remember all the guys after WWII buying rifles from the DCM because they were use to them and had good memories of them and so they bought them to hunt with. Same thing your seeing now. But like I said. It will all change again.

mil-spec doesn't mean it's any better. Hell if anything else it's probably worse than most out there. Mil contracts are usually going after quantity but quality. Remember the M16 during the Vietnam era was basically a piece of crap, some may still think so, but with all the AR's being used in Civilian hands now it had to come from somewhere. People just adopt what they think will make the next buck. Todays rifles are much better built then 40 years ago.

xdeano

This is the kid, my rig has many tactical type flavors. Shot @ 800 yrd. I was spotter, son 16, next gen LRH
NICE! Hope you caught a lull in the wind on that 800 yarder. Last time I chased goats, I wouldn't stand a chance on that shot...had to wear wrap around sunglasses just to protect the eyes from the wind and crawl up to 218yds to make the shot. Wind was so bad, anything other than prone was a lost cause and we only had two days to hunt before the boys had to be back in school. Send some deer pics of the youngster's if he's connected yet.

Oh how I long for the days when magazines were full of hunting stories, wood stocked Mod 70 or Rem 700, an old mauser and it was about the hunt and not seeing if we could kill something a mile away..........................
I dont have a problem with any of it and to each their own, just wish for the days of the hunt rather than scent elimination and howitzers at long range.

good job for the kid, but he looks mad..........any reason he isnt smiling ear to ear? We are teaching shooters and not hunters, we are teaching people to shoot objects rather than animals........where is the joy??

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.