What's the best 7mm for LRH?

Kirby, you are right and I stand corrected. The Dakota is based off the 404 Jeffry and I knew that but for some reason my memory short circuted.

In any case (no pun intended) I think it's a great case for the cartridge and a potentially great LR cartridge. Someday I would like to gewt one.

Hope your hunting season goes well.

Cheers,

Mark

This was developed to be a 1K BR round and is showing much promise in my sporter which was the 1st one and only one to date. Starts off as a 300 win and is neck sized and fireformed with bullseye.

With a 150 SMK am getting right at 3300 with SD in the 20 to 25 fps with RL25.

The reduced neck sizes are for the match reamer as the existing rifle has no turn necks and that is using Lapua brass. The rifle shoots .3 at 300 yards every single time.

Warp7-1.jpg

USOWarp72.jpg

Yobuck,

The parent case is the 338 Lapua which is necked down and fireformed to my Allen Magnum shoulder and body taper configuration. Gives roughly 10% more case capacity then the 7mm RUM but the biggest advantage is that the Lapua case can handle high pressure loads and offer a longer case life then the RUM.

Powders that work best for this chambering are a bit limited because of its extreme nature. AA8700, US869 are great for a commerically available powder. WC872 is a great surplus powder as well that works amazingly well.

Barrel lengths should be at least 27" in length and up to whatever you want within reason. I have found 33" to be about the most that will get you meaningful velocity gaines. For sporter weight rifles, 27" is about right. My personal rifle has a 27" Lilja on it now and is shooting the 160 gr Accubonds at 3475 fps.

There are draw backs to such an extreme performance level, namely barrel life. Its shorter then the smaller 7mm chamberings and this is why this wildcat was designed specifically for a big game hunting rifle where a bit less barrel life is not a really critical issue because the rifle will not be used for high volume shooting anyway.

Again, its not for everyone and its not the best for all situations but if you want the max in 7mm performance, its on the top of the pile. Its accurate, hits more like the largest 30 cal magnums then a 7mm round and its pretty easy to load for, but it can be harder on barrels then what many are used to. Again, for the big game hunter, if the barrel is cared for properly, a barrel would last many many big game hunting seasons even for the most active big game hunter.

fiftydriver,

thanks for the info.
i had asked about action.
i have a 40x w/a 30" hart on it. (actually 29.5.)
its chambered for a 7x300.
i had the port opened a little on the back end so i could get a round in w/out pulling the bolt.
it cant have more than 500 rounds thru it.
i also have a heavy sporter in 7x300 using the original 40x barrel.
i also have a couple 30x378s .
the 40x just sits, havent shot it in about 5 years.
i have lots of wc872.
can you read my mind?
more questions. is the action o.k.?
is that case standard mag, or rebated?
would that barrel work, and is it long enough to make it worth it?
and finally, at 73 am i crazy to even think about?
it would be fun to thump those young guys with their 7 rums. in a little rock buck match.

well being a weatherby mark V person, I would opt for the weatherby 7mm. Factory ammo is readily available and not that expensive. Because of the 300 weatherby it is not that well known but mine shoots well and it will hit anything in reason from deer to targets to antelope to well, darn near anything with proper placement.

bob chronister

well being a weatherby mark V person, I would opt for the weatherby 7mm. Factory ammo is readily available and not that expensive. Because of the 300 weatherby it is not that well known but mine shoots well and it will hit anything in reason from deer to targets to antelope to well, darn near anything with proper placement.

bob chronister
hi bob, ive seen your name here before. i was wondering if you have any relatives in the york pa. area. a fellow very well known for long range benchrest, name of earl chronister. former world record holder for 10 shots at 1000 yds. has contributed a lot to the sport, and would be first to tell you that. (just joking) he also hunts, but is even older than me, so i havent seen him in a couple years. anyway, thought you might like to know you have a famous name. id give you his phone # but youd hate me if i did.

I am familiar with Earl Chronister and his markmanship at a 1000 yards. Still amazes me and I understand he is still active which is superb. My Grandad was M.O. Chronister and he came from Mount Holley Springs which is somewhere near York (I think). Was there when I was young (66 now) and the whole family was funny and we always had a great time. Been meaning to write or email if he will accept it Earl to ask him about the 30-378 he used and how it was modified, scope etc. I have a 30-378 that has a wooden stock, extra mounting lug, and a high luster bluing appearance. The rifle is awesome but I did not have the stock refinished because I plan to shoot it.

Given there are not that many Chronisters around, I am sure somehow somewhere we are all related. At any rate let us keep in touch. My email address is [email protected].

bob chronister

Hey Kirby, (or anybody else)

Can you post a pic of the 7 AM next to a few cartridges we may be more familiar with ? 7 RUM, 300 Win, what ever.

Do you have any tight neck reamers for the 7 AM ?

What is the BC of the 200 gr ULD and is it a decent hunting bullet? I assume it is similar to a Berger ? J-4 jacket ?

7mmRemMag7mmAllenMag7mmRUM.jpg

Here is the 7mm Allen Magnum between the 7mm Rem Mag on the left and 7mm RUM on the right.

Noticably shorter but fatter then the RUM.

My reamers are set up for precision big game hunting rifles. I do not like neck diameters that REQUIRE neck turning for the cases to fit in the chamber. THey are designed right off the Lapua case necked down to 7mm and have roughly 1 thou clearance between the neck and chamber.

Yobuck,

I would much rather see you put a 7mm AM into a receiver set up for the Lapua class bolt face instead of converting the smaller magnum bolt face up to the 0.590" Lapua bolt face.

Kirby,

What actions do you like for the 7 mm AM? Any of them single shots?

What is the BC of that 200 gr. ULD.

What muzzle velocity range would you expect with the 200 ULD and 180 Berger, 30 in. barrel.

Approx powder charge of 200 ULD ?

Thanks,
John

I am familiar with Earl Chronister and his markmanship at a 1000 yards. Still amazes me and I understand he is still active which is superb. My Grandad was M.O. Chronister and he came from Mount Holley Springs which is somewhere near York (I think). Was there when I was young (66 now) and the whole family was funny and we always had a great time. Been meaning to write or email if he will accept it Earl to ask him about the 30-378 he used and how it was modified, scope etc. I have a 30-378 that has a wooden stock, extra mounting lug, and a high luster bluing appearance. The rifle is awesome but I did not have the stock refinished because I plan to shoot it.

Given there are not that many Chronisters around, I am sure somehow somewhere we are all related. At any rate let us keep in touch. My email address is [email protected]. well bob, much as i hate to do this, ill call him and ask if he would mind. believe me you'll have autografed pictures up the wazoo. see if you can talk him out of that old bronco he has. its the original, and he only has used it to go hunting. sits in the garage 50 weeks a year. i do have a picture of him standing in front of his target with the gun. i wouldnt let him autograff it, as it would have ruined the value. ill give you some particulars on the gun. if you pm me your address ill send you a copy of the photo. anyway the gun was a 30x378 on a howard wolfe custom action. it had a 30" hart barrel, glued into a block. he used the original 250 gr. smk. which has been replaced by the 240. load was 100 gr. h570 ww2 surplus powder, w/ a fed 215 primer. scope was a unertle. group size 4.375 for 10 shots. the chambering was done by gene grabill. he's probably forgotten most of this, and will try to lie about the group size. but now your ready for him.

I certainly would not mind the photographs, autographed and all and even some Chronister BS (we all seem to have quite a bit:)), I have admired what Earl did not for his name but for his accuracy (I also know the group size). I used to load with the same bloody powder in the early 60s. Was easy to get because everyone thought it was useless. Course I did not have a 30-378 then but did have a 30-338 which I could cut a hole at 100 yards. Course as I tell everyone that was when I was young and stupid and have noe lost half of that :)-)). Please send me your email address and I will send you my address etc and maybe even a photo of my 30-378 (have to take it first but will for sure).

As to our relationship, I am sure it was there because as far as I am aware there was only one original Chronister and he settled in Stroudsberg Pa. I have a pretty accurate history of my dad's lineage but never considered it full and complete.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.