What's all the tactical stuff for?

tim jurczak

It seems like everybody but me knows what's going on with all this tactcal stuff. We have rifles scopes and dozens of magazines where the used to bs sporting oriented stuff. Do police departments have changing policies about officers buying their own equipment or is it and I hate even think it, just regular Joes fantasizing about shooting people from roof tops? I hope it's the former as I just cont believe dreaming about being a cop is more romantic than dreaming about hunting in Africa. I don't aim to offend anyone but I feel like I'm being kept out of something.

Tim

There has always been a connection, between, military, law enforcement, and the sporting use of firearms. Good ideas that move back and forth. We went through the phase where the military, and law enforcement was very politically incorrect, right now In my opinion we're a bit overboard the other way. As I put on my camo under armor for a trip to the range. LOL
At the end I think it's mostly marketing, but it brings people to the sport. Zombie guns and such are popular with the culture so that will run it's course as well.
Consider however the 2nd Amendment is about the citizen soldier, and a populace already trained in firearms (especially those consistent with the military) is a good thing. The DCM has a purpose. No rules that say training can't be fun.
Africa has more appeal to me as well.

For me, it's about two things mainly.

#1--tactical stuff is generally more adjustable and purpose-built. Where the classic hunting rifles and equipment has to be "pretty." I don't need "pretty" and don't want to pay for it.

#2---In my opinion, times are MUCH more uncertain than they once were. So I tend to think in a more defensive mindset than I once did. Tactical equipment is appealing to me because at some point (sadly) I may have to use it to protect my family. And I don't mean from a random intruder.......

My stuff is for the best hunting outfit for me. I have a Leo, mil/mil,works great. I run a Atlas bipod, very sturdy and adjust front and back, has QD. Mounts on a rail,can run a light off rail when in grizz area at dark, which I often am. Sniper tools ACI, is a must have in mountains I hunt.Eagle stock pack, holds my drop/wind card, mildotmaster and windmeter, plus 2 loaded rounds, this gives me 5 rnds. on my LR RIG, happy huntinggun)

It seems like everybody but me knows what's going on with all this tactcal stuff. We have rifles scopes and dozens of magazines where the used to bs sporting oriented stuff. Do police departments have changing policies about officers buying their own equipment or is it and I hate even think it, just regular Joes fantasizing about shooting people from roof tops? I hope it's the former as I just cont believe dreaming about being a cop is more romantic than dreaming about hunting in Africa. I don't aim to offend anyone but I feel like I'm being kept out of something.

Tim

I don't have to tell you that..... But I will. Really no other reason than , just because
I can.

I'm not sure what the reason is for the "average" hunter, probably what some of the previous posts have said.

This site is about "long range" hunting and the US military trains the best long range "hunters" in the world. Obviously what they are hunting and what us sportsmen are hunting are two very different things and I mean no disrespect to our military guys, just the opposite. I have great respect for their training, skill, dedication to our country and sacrifice.

A lot of time, money and attention has been expended by the military to figure out what gear works the best. It only makes sense that the same equipment would be advantageous to hunters wanting to make a long range shot on an elk. So, it makes perfect sense that for long range hunting our equipment may start to look a lot like military equipment.

So it is consumers who use these products. The whole genre Xmas on so fast it was a blur. I incorrectly traced it back to about the time the economy sagged and assumed it was communities forcing law enforcement workers tomgo shop for their own equipment. I'm not against it as any pro gun development is good for the hobby. I just couldnt believe the speed at which it took off. Thanks for the info. Tim

Its the trickle down/up effect.

The military is going to spec stuff out to manufacturers. Those manufacturers are going to invest LOTS of money in R&D to get that contract. If they don't, they have to recoup the investment. Enter the civilian consumer.

Also, you have GI's using gear in the military. They get proficient with it and when they get out or for there personal gear, want what they already no how to use. So they will go in search of the same gear the military trained them on or find the closest approximation available.

Look around at some of the shooting forums and other gun forums out there. There are rigs built and being built that cost as much as the long range rifles used for hunting. And what are these rigs for? Mall ninjas. Zombie hunting. Shooting the dumb$%* that breaks into your home while you are there. Bragging rights.

There is a whole industry built up around tactical gear. Take a peak at the AirSoft stuff. I have heard of the police being called on guys playing AirSoft war because they look the real deal.

As far as people dreaming of shooting people, I doubt that is what is fueling this. Any idiot can do that with a cheap used rifle and tasco scope. Its the Mall Ninjas and Zombie hunters mostly. I won't lie, I am one of them as my 10/22 is slowly going out of control.

For hunting though, one has to remember that if it helps the military shoot a person at 800yds, it will help you shoot a deer/elk/etc at 800yds. Where do you think the GPS and rangefinder you use came from?

Matt N

For some in the long range game those wooden stocks just don't cut it. So upgrading to a rigid stock, heavy barrel rig is what is needed to make the shot. Weather it's F-class, or tactical comps we've picked up the equipment to make it work.

For me, I use the same weapon for both work and pleasure. "beware the man with one gun". If i'm proficient with my weapon system for pleasure it makes taking a shot for work much easier.

Do what works. I have definitely seen a rise in demand for tactical stuff in the last few years also. Makes buying equipment a little more expensive. I write off what I can on my taxes so it still works. I'd give it a few years and it should run it's course and those tactical rigs will be up for sale.

I forgot to mention another reason why i use my eq. for work, because it's better than what they can afford to issue. I don't have to worry about liability with what i do, like most.

xdeano

Last edited:
This is the kid, my rig has many tactical type flavors. Shot @ 800 yrd. I was spotter, son 16, next gen LRH

Attachments

• horns-11 011.jpg
    horns-11 011.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 95
For me, it's about two things mainly.

#1--tactical stuff is generally more adjustable and purpose-built. Where the classic hunting rifles and equipment has to be "pretty." I don't need "pretty" and don't want to pay for it.

#2---In my opinion, times are MUCH more uncertain than they once were. So I tend to think in a more defensive mindset than I once did. Tactical equipment is appealing to me because at some point (sadly) I may have to use it to protect my family. And I don't mean from a random intruder.......
I agree 110%

And lets face it whats good for a sniper is also pretty darn good for a long range hunter. Calibers may change but the task is the same accurately identify range and engage targets at long range making first shot kills. Snipers are trained to move in and out of an area undetected, a handy skill for a hunter. Stalk prey, observe it and kill it. Sounds a lot like what a hunter does. Oh and do all this with a minimum of equipment supplies and outside support. Why do you think the Marine Corps sniping manual said specifically to look for people who were avid hunters.

Try not to get to caught up in all the "latest and greatest" tactical stuff offered to the general public. I think there are two major influences that drive this, information and money. Since the very first battle took place weapons manufacturers have made progress especially since world war I. Look at the media outlets also. Thirty years ago you would have never turned on the military channel and watched navy seals go through BUDS or marines go through sniper school. I will be the first one to admit I was hooked to theses types of shows after seing my first one.

In the tactical world there is one proven method that has increased revenue time and time again and that is "paint it black, say it is tactical and charge at least 50% more then what the product is actually worth". Don't get me wrong there is some really cool stuff that is worth owning. I am definitely a willing victim when it comes to the supercool new stuff.

Speaking of magazines, take two magazines and put a good old remy 700 with a classic Leupold scope on one cover and put a fully decked out AR15 with all the trimmings (you know the 900 dollar rifle with 3000.00 dollars worth of accessories) on the other and see how many copies are sold of each. The answer should not surprise anyone.

I would never try to force anyone to buy one thing over another. The only thing I can recommend is before anyone makes their next purchase please do your homework and don't buy it just because it's black and says it's "mil-spec".

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.