Looking for a new scope $1000 or under

How are the reticles on your Leica and s&b? The ones I'm looking at are both Plex style. I'm just wondering if they are too fine?
The reticle on my Leica is much finer than on my Schmidt and Benders. I have the number 9 reticle on my Schmidt and Benders and l like it very much. That's the one with the circle around the find crosshairs.

If mainly hunting and some target then leupold vx5 hd with Ill reticle.
If dialing is more of priority for target and long range (>500) NF nxs/shv or tract toric

If mainly hunting and some target then leupold vx5 hd with Ill reticle.
If dialing is more of priority for target and long range (>500) NF nxs/shv or tract toric
what reticle is that? I'm not familiar. Does your scope have the cds-zl2 dials? How do you like the dial if that's what you have?

My really good friend has Magnus. I did sat behind glass and I love it. But he had sight in problems with it. Basically when sight in 0 better not touch turrets again. Better off to glue them on to scope.

I have the duplex fire dot reticle on my hunting rifle. Vx6 hd 3-18x44. Glad I went 44 vs 50. It's on a Bergara mountain rifle 6.5 CM.
what reticle is that? I'm not familiar. Does your scope have the cds-zl2 dials? How do you like the dial if that's what you have?
I have the duplex fire dot reticle on my hunting rifle. Vx6 hd 3-18x44. I keep it simple. Glad I went 44 vs 50. It's on a Bergara mountain rifle 6.5 CM. I hunt white tail deer mostly. Clarity and low light performance has been stellar. Dialing to 500 has been on point. I haven't tried the cds yet. I have the CDS ZL-2 dials. The 3-15x vx5 hd is within your budget and same scope as mine minus the alumina covers.

The SWFA SS scopes I own have been great at shooting accurately to 800 yards.
They use Japanese glass.. but it's been a while so things may have changed.

Go to Shepherd LTD's website. Its shepherdscopes.com. Check out both their front focal plane and dual reticle scopes. Nearly all their scopes are under 1,000, and include ranging and compensating systems in the scope. They will work with about anything and are rugged, accurate and have very good light gathering qualities.

A Sightron s3 or older Zeiss Conquest would be my choice, for the life of me I cannot figure out why folks push these Vortex Chinese scopes, guess that's why there are so many used ones for sale.

A Sightron s3 or older Zeiss Conquest would be my choice, for the life of me I cannot figure out why folks push these Vortex Chinese scopes, guess that's why there are so many used ones for sale.
I "push" them because they have amazing customer service are mil friendly and their scopes work. I use to own nightforce too. Many companies outsource certain parts to China
A quick google search shows you vortex and sightron manufacturer scopes in the Philippines, etc

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.