Looking for a new scope $1000 or under

I've owned one, a fixed 6 power. It was a good scope. None of the 'usual' scopes get much mention here. I don't know why. The leupold scopes are the Army's contracted standard sniper scope. The Unertl scopes don't come up much, Shepherd and the other scopes built by Salvo don't get represented (Although I own seven of the Shepherd DRS scopes and they work really well.

I think that like everything else, scopes go in fads....latest is the prs shoots... they dictate a certain set of features.....unless your going to be dialing yardarges a lot, shoot past 600 yards a lot, or need 60 power magnification, any of the "normal" scopes will do everything you need, and what you want it to....I still suggest getting a custom elevation dial or label you can put on. The one time you need 650, or 715 yd shot, at least it's there...rsbhunter

The Burris XTR II line of scopes is extremely underrated. While it does not have the best glass out there, you have a rock solid scope that tracks better than some scopes twice its cost, and is super durable. Turrets are great too. My brother and I went to the Frank Church Wilderness for 8 days. I brought two Identical rifles more or less (both sporting X-Caliber barrels, HS Precision stocks, and other upgrades. One 7mm Rem Mag with a Burris XTR II 5-25, and one 7 SAUM with a Gen 2 PST 5-25. Both scopes survived a road trip from Arizona to Idaho and back. Both took a plane in and out of the wilderness area. Both traveled 60+ miles through snow, rain, and hail in the Frank Church. When we got back I put both through their paces, and the Burris was still exactly zeroed. Not even off by a half inch at 200. The Gen 2 PST was still close, but it was off by almost 3" at 200. While I like the glass better on the PST, I personally believe the Burris is a tougher scope. If you wait long enough, you can pick one up for a great price too.

I'm looking into purchasing a 6.5 Creed for my daughter and want to put a decent scope on it. Trying to figure out what optic to buy before I pull the trigger on purchasing the rifle. Of course I will also use this rifle, so I want to like it, too. It will be mainly used for hunting and occasional target shooting. Looking to see what you guys would recommend. Thanks for the help

I've had several of the Bushnell LRHS/LRTS scopes and for what you are describing, they would be my number 1 pick. They track well, retain zero and glass is way above their price point. Their feature set is very functional and well thought out. In the LRTS, get the illuminated reticle. It is more visible than the non illuminated version, even if you don't have the illum turned on. The illumination is perfectly executed though. Daylight visible on its highest setting and barely visible at night on its lowest setting.

At this price, it's really not worth considering anything else.

John

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...7b7f-0137-0fa6-00163e90e196?variation=1971935

You will not beat the Leica Magnus scopes EuroOptic has on clearance at the moment for $1000. You just won't.
I have also been looking at the Magnus. In your opinion, would I be better off with the 42mm or 50mm objective? I would be using it for deer hunting under 500 yards.

I'm looking into purchasing a 6.5 Creed for my daughter and want to put a decent scope on it. Trying to figure out what optic to buy before I pull the trigger on purchasing the rifle. Of course I will also use this rifle, so I want to like it, too. It will be mainly used for hunting and occasional target shooting. Looking to see what you guys would recommend. Thanks for the help
Check out the Shepherd/Salvo line of scopes. I have 7 of them now, in the dual reticule model, in 3X10 and 6X18 power, and they work just like Shepherd says they do.

I have also been looking at the Magnus. In your opinion, would I be better off with the 42mm or 50mm objective? I would be using it for deer hunting under 500 yards.
They are great scopes! It is a personal choice. I have been trending to the 42's from the 50 and 56 styles. I don't see much difference in the scope performance between the two and I like the smaller lighter(less drag) scopes myself.

They are great scopes! It is a personal choice. I have been trending to the 42's from the 50 and 56 styles. I don't see much difference in the scope performance between the two and I like the smaller lighter(less drag) scopes myself.
So before I pull the trigger on a Leica, the other scope I was looking at was the Schmidt and bender Klassic, 3-12x50. It's $999 at euro optics. The Leica is a 1.5-10x42 for $899. Would you still go with the leica over the S&b?

Euro optics has a Leica 1.8-12X50 for $999 I believe.
I would pick the Leica, but that is my personal choice.

So before I pull the trigger on a Leica, the other scope I was looking at was the Schmidt and bender Klassic, 3-12x50. It's $999 at euro optics. The Leica is a 1.5-10x42 for $899. Would you still go with the leica over the S&b?
Both Smith and Bender and Leica are outstanding. I have the SB 2.5 - 10 and the 1.5 - 6 and the Leica 2.4 - 16. Both brands are made with Schott HT glass - the world's best. This decision should be determined on where you predominantly hunt. If you hunt in shorter ranges then the Leica is best. If you hunt at longer ranges then the Schmidt and Bender would be best. I'm not sure what the Leica 2.4 by 16 is selling for, but it might cover both circumstances for you very well. You are going to get an outstanding scope from either manufacturer you choose.

Both Smith and Bender and Leica are outstanding. I have the SB 2.5 - 10 and the 1.5 - 6 and the Leica 2.4 - 16. Both brands are made with Schott HT glass - the world's best. This decision should be determined on where you predominantly hunt. If you hunt in shorter ranges then the Leica is best. If you hunt at longer ranges then the Schmidt and Bender would be best. I'm not sure what the Leica 2.4 by 16 is selling for, but it might cover both circumstances for you very well. You are going to get an outstanding scope from either manufacturer you choose.
How are the reticles on your Leica and s&b? The ones I'm looking at are both Plex style. I'm just wondering if they are too fine?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts