Best Scope Under $1000

Athlon Ares btr gen 2
Athlon Midas tac
Arken
Sig Optics
Ziess
Huskemaw Optics
Athlon Ares ETR
Depends on what you want.....first focal plane or second.
Anymore your options are endless, lots of quality for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5CM on order and am now researching for a scope to mount on it. The Leupold VX-3i LRP 6.5-20X 50mm looks like about the best one can get for under a grand. I have been a Leupold fan for over 40 years, but I haven't purchased a new scope in decades. I see that there are now many more offerings than there were back when I was in the game. Does anyone have other ideas or suggestions in this price range other than the Leupold model I have focused in on.

This one:

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...7b7f-0137-0fa6-00163e90e196?variation=1971935

John

For what it's worth. I have a couple Nightforce scopes, never mounted, that I will be selling under $1,000. And hands down, in my opinion, nothing is better. I have 5 of them and just couldn't do anything else for myself.
What are we talking here? I may be interested in taking a NF off your hands

I can say from experience that the Tract Toric 3-15 is hard to beat for $750.

FYSA for what it is worth ...

Toric Tract scopes.JPG

Thanks to all for many responsive and informative posts. I have one follow-up question to IHFarmer07's post.

Depends on what you want.....first focal plane or second. Anymore your options are endless, lots of quality for reasonable prices.

Do I understand correctly that a scope designated RFP has the reticle in the first focal plane, and when it's designated FFP the reticle is in the second plane?

The Vortex PST II is nice. Available in SFP and FFP. 5-25x50 and 3-15x44

This new Arken scope has been getting rave reviews and is a great intro price. Even Rex Reviews likes these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JBT8BZC/?tag=lrhmag19-20
Thanks for that. Now I need a new rifle for the new scope! Looks like a lot of scope for the $$...Seems to good to be true, but I'm giving it a try anyway. This will be my FFP scope. Cheers

Last edited:
Any opinion on Leupold vx-6hd 3-18x50 versus , zeiss v4 6-24x50 versus, zeiss v6 5-30x50 ? For hunting and target , do have zeiss already and like but are all 5 plus years old , just wondering on the newer glass , like the fire dot idea, fairly close in price 900-1500. Thanks .

Thanks to all for many responsive and informative posts. I have one follow-up question to IHFarmer07's post.

Do I understand correctly that a scope designated RFP has the reticle in the first focal plane, and when it's designated FFP the reticle is in the second plane?

This should explain it very well.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/first-focal-plane-vs-second-focal-plane-scopes.975/

You have the focal plains mixed up, easy to do if your new to buying scopes now a days, ffp has gotten easier and cheaper to get now. "ffp" is front focal plain, so the reticle is in "front" of the erector tube and causes the cross hairs to enlarge along with the picture as you turn the power up on a variable scope.....me personally I have not had a problem hunting/shooting with ffp, although I'm only 29 so, maybe later in life that'll change. At least if I wanted to hold off for a shot knowing where I am in the power range is not a worry.

"RFP" or "SFP" the cross hair is behind the erector tube and the cross hair stays the same size as the picture gets enlarged. Lots of ppl like SFP for long range precise shots because the cross hairs stay small.

Hope the link and explanation helps, good luck, as your going down a heck of a rabbit hole now lol!

How is the tracking and is it repeatable. I've seen Meopta around for awhile. They are German made right?
Czech made. I've done box test @100 with my 3-18x56 Optika 6 each adjustment was spot on. What originally sold me was the illuminated "dot" and clarity of edge to edge glass. Been using it on one of my 300wsm so recoil appears to be a non issue as well as far as the adjustments

Czech made. I've done box test @100 with my 3-18x56 Optika 6 each adjustment was spot on. What originally sold me was the illuminated "dot" and clarity of edge to edge glass. Been using it on one of my 300wsm so recoil appears to be a non issue as well as far as the adjustments
Have you been able to compare it to any other scopes in the $600+ price range. The Optika 6 is like $650-800 depending on model. I'm just wondering if it's better or worse than others in that price range. They certainly look nice.

Have you been able to compare it to any other scopes in the $600+ price range. The Optika 6 is like $650-800 depending on model. I'm just wondering if it's better or worse than others in that price range. They certainly look nice.
I own Leupold VX III and an HD5, Zeiss Conquest and (3) Vortex PST Gen II's. It's comparable to the HD5 in my opinion and better than the others from what I can tell. Not sure about their customer service because I haven't had to use it. But for the price point it's worth putting your hands on one before making a purchase that's for sure

I own Leupold VX III and an HD5, Zeiss Conquest and (3) Vortex PST Gen II's. It's comparable to the HD5 in my opinion and better than the others from what I can tell. Not sure about their customer service because I haven't had to use it. But for the price point it's worth putting your hands on one before making a purchase that's for sure
Wow sounds really good then. I have been looking at the PST Gen 2 and the Leupold LRP and VX5. I'm glad that it's as good or better than those. I think I'm going to try to get my hands on one and look more into them. I do wish they had a better reticle with windage hashmarks other than their caliber specific BDC reticles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.