Best Binoculars (8x42) for under $1000?

375Shooter

Hello,

I am looking for a better set of binoculars than my current Steiner 10x42 XC, and have not really bought high end binoculars in this price range (approx $1000 budget). The Steiner's are nice, and I like them, but am hoping for more sharpness and a wider field of view by looking at 8x.

My usage: East Coast primarily, limited out West. I have property, and spend a fair amount of time also watching birds and various wildlife. Right now, my leading candidates are Leica Trinovid 8x42 and Zeiss Conquest 8x42 but I know that some of the more experienced people here may have some better suggestions - any advice gratefully accepted.

Thank you in advance!

26Nosler, 10x32 is getting a bit small on the exit pupil for me as I grow older. I use my binoculars a lot at twilight and dawn, and more light is appreciated. I looked at the Swaro SLCs and they look nice but $2K+ is definitely out of the price range. I could probably swing a bit more (up to probably $1500) but wanted to keep it under $1K if possible. It seems like there is quite a jump between the $1K binos straight up to around $2K, which is more than I am willing to spend.

Those 10x32 swaro were only a $1000 at cabelas....actually got two for $900 on sale....i think you'd be surprised if you compare the 32 to 42 for light gathering...after all..they are swaro...

Heck I have a redfield 10x50 that are super clear....but the rubber eyecups went bad and I wear glasses......they gather lots of light...and very nice glass...used them for years....now they sit in their case....bummer...

I just went through this exercise of looking for a new pair of binoculars. My current ones are a pair of Zeiss victory 10x30 approximately 8 years old. I settled on a new pair of Swarovski 10x42 SCL. Couple weeks ago had a chance compare them side x side on some elk at a considerable distance. From good light until it got dark. I do like the Zeiss, they are light and always felt they were clear. But the Swarovski were definitely better, especially when it started to get dusk. With the Swarovski I could see the elk clearly. With the Zeiss only reason I thought I could see an animal there was because I new it was there, but if it hadn't been for the other binoculars I would have passed right over them. Thought I seen a pair of Swarovski SCL in the optics for sale section, new for $1400. Don't know if this helps or not? Good luck with your decision.

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 listed (not by me) in classifieds. $1875; no idea if he would come down a bit but these go for $2700 new. See what this board does to you? :D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.