best scope for under $1000

msalm

Looking at options for a dependable hunting scope for my 338 RUM build. What would you consider suitable in the $600-$1200 price tag? I know that offers a lot in way of price range, but for the right scope I'd spend the $. I'd like side focus, and lower than target adjustable turrets with a good reputation for repeatable clicks. Also, what reticle do you like and why? I have a Leica 1200 RF, so I don't need a ranging reticle and was thinking of just a fine duplex type, but what other reticles do you like. Be specific please.

Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited:
Couple of questions:

Is 330 a typo? I'm assuming a 338 RUM.

Will this be a walk and stalk rifle or shot from a 'hide'?

A variable power for one situation and a fixed power for the other would be my recommendation.

Either way I'd read the scope article http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/low-priced.php

and setting up your scope by Jerry Teo.

On my walk & Stalk 338 RUM I have a Weaver Tactical 4.5x14 w/mil dot reticle.

On my hide only 270 AM I have a SuperSniper 16X w/mil dot reticle.

The only draw back to the Weaver is the ret. is in the 2nd focal plane and it has 1/8 minute clicks.

Yep, it's a typo...fixed it, should read 338 RUM.

It will be a fixed firing point for the most part. I have a walk and stalk 300WSM, I'm looking at parking my butt on a good vantage point and glassing, and shooting from there. I pretty much assumed a variable scope though, as for different conditions I see the need for greater/less mag.

I did read the cheap optics thread, and honestly was shooting for a little better glass, not knocking the SS or 3200's, but I'm willing to get something better.

+1 on the Weaver Tactical.

Have it on my 338 RUM LSS. I got mine for $200 used, but I've found them new for $540. I've read that Kirby holds them in high regard.

Roy,

Are you sure about the 2nd focal plane? Mine is in the first.

SF scopes

I have had a lot of success with the Elite 4200 scopes. all have low profile target turrents, repeatable adjustments and excellent optics for dirt cheap.

Been using their new 1" 6X24 SF for two seasons and it is a great scope. Light small and light, it will not burden even your walkabout rifle. comes with a mildot reticle which is handy for quick windage adjustments.

New Nikon monarch SF scopes would also be worth a look. Their old tactical or new X line are superb scopes and under your budget.

Jerry

What about a used Nightforce? I thought those were the darling of long range shooters but it suprises me no one mentioned them. I've seen quite a few used ones in the $1000 range and was considering them also. Have looked at the Nikon's, and I have a few Monarchs, B&L (Bushnell) 4200's, and Leu's and like them all. If one were to select the PERFECT long range hunting scope what would you choose? I have a 4.5-14X40 Leu, and several target scopes including a 5.5-15 Monarch I might just use until something jumps out at me.

Yeah, I was just looking at the specs, and the Nightforce is heavier than I was thinking. Looks like a Leu, or a friend of mine may be able to get a deal on the Nikon Monarch X line of scopes...they look to have most of the features I want.

I got a leupold vx3 4.5.x14x50LR on my 300 rum. I sent it to Leupold for a taller elevation turret and the TMR reticle for windage adjustments. this whole set up was about $1000. the scope was about $700. $200 for the reticle. $60 for the turret. this scope also has a side focus and is a 30mm tube. IMO it is a fantastic scope and vary good in all conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.