Long Range Hunting-Video (Shawn Carlock, Defensive Edge)

Ordered the video two days ago and it's here already, now that's great customer service!! A ton of great information here and very well presented. A great video for beginners and novices alike that are trying to take a firmer grasp on long range shooting concepts. I wish every penny I spent went towards this kind of value. Thanks Shawn!! (However you do realize that this video is only going to make everyone that has a rifle ordered from you twice as anxious.......I can hardly wait, but I'll be more likely to make that first round shot because of it.)

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a lot more work than I thought to film ,edit, and produce, but it was an interesting learning experince. I am planning a "greatest hits" video for release in late 08 early 09. It will consist of 8-10 hunts and an like number of field practice shots to include how we set up for them. Remember I want copies of your trophy photos.

Shawn,

People don't realize how much time, effort, expense and equipment it takes to just get the footage. Then to edit, voice over, etc. is a whole 'nother process. Very demanding.

All of this is on the cuff with the hope of it being a financial success.

The video is good. I got mine yesterday, one day in transit, the time went so fast. It seemed like a 15 minute experience.

I watched it on the 24" TV. Tonight I'll put it on the 8' screen w/projection system and pick it apart.:D:D On the tv monitor I could see only the upper right shot on the box test.

I rate the video as 5 stars and a standard to be measured against.

thanks for the time and effort and information.

I have been too busy with our first newsletter to view it...but today I will get it done.

Roy,

Thanks for the comments. To be truthful I wasn't worried about it being a finicial success as long as it would at least break even, my only real concern was that it helped the end users and came across well enough that everyone / anyone with some or no experience could follow it and the seasoned shooter would still learn a couple of things.

I ordered the CD two days ago, and received and viewed it today.

It comprehensively covers subjects like: equipment, MOA concept and its application to scope adjustment and reticles, use of Exbal and its programs and print-outs, pressure and wind guages, wind doping, shooting up/down and using cosine indicator, and footage of actual long range shooting.

It is a wealth of well presented, referenced instruction that will be reviewed over and over for all the information nuggets it contains.

I highly recommend it.

Shawn,
First, thanks for the quick turn around. I'm certain the video was in the mail the day it was ordered. I enjoyed the video, and will watch it a few times. I'll also be recomending it to friends. Nice job.

In the way of a review, this is a very informative video. There is a wealth of information for those new to the sport. The video also contains tips the experienced marksman can appreciate. The hunting and practice shooting footage will certainly be appreciated by all. Truly, some fine marksmanship.

I've also got a question or two.
What kind of camera are you filming the hunting and shooting with? Are you happy with it?
I also wondered what your experience has been with velocity changes due to temperature changes. How do you test, record, and compensate for these changes? When you enter temp into exbal, does it assume / assign some velocity change?

Again, thanks for the video. Nice job!

I also received mine today and watched it today; two days delivery! Good service. I told my son whos's a communication supervisor for the local Sherrif dept. to tell the snipers about this video. Them boy should be able to enjoy it!

Question: Did any body noticed the tic taking a walk close to the zipper of one of the bags on the floor when shawn was talking about the muzzle break? Pretty awesome... Shawn if we may ask, what video camera did you use?

Shawn, I also just watched the video, it arrived in just a few days as well. Excellent explanation of long rang shooting and the equipment needed. I can't wait to attended your long range schools, as I can only imagine how much I would be able to learn. Thanks for producing a great informative video. I look forward to your next one!

Roy,

Thanks for the comments. To be truthful I wasn't worried about it being a finicial success as long as it would at least break even, my only real concern was that it helped the end users and came across well enough that everyone / anyone with some or no experience could follow it and the seasoned shooter would still learn a couple of things.

Shawn,
I watched it last night,and I learned a couple of things for sure. One thing I learned was how to better use my Kestrel 4000 to read exact pressure.

This is a great video for the seasoned shooter or some one starting out!

I would have to say that you obtained your goal mentioned above in my opinion!!

Great job!!!

Mike

Grit,

We used a JVC version with 32x optical zoom. It worked well for most things but there are several issues I would have liked to had different. I am upgrading cameras before we start filming "Greatest Hits" vol 1, this spring.
On the velocity changes, I test for temperature sensitivity when I am dialing a rifle in. I like to test when it is cold. If I can shoot when it is 20-30 degrees over the chrongraph and get a velocity average and spread, then I'll warm som ammo up to 90-100 degrees and run it through to see the difference. This is one of the big reasons I have been so wedded to H1000 in the 338 Edge. I get less than 30 fps difference from the temp extreames. Well worth dropping 50-60 fps to get that kind of performance. If I had to use a more sensitive powder for some reason I would simply go to Exbal and save a couple of charts for 0, 20, 40, & 60 degrees for hunting season, then pull up or unfold what ever one I needed. You can enter different velocity # in the program in the field, but it is quicker and less prone to error to have them saved as different charts and pull up the one you want.

Glad you guys are enjoying the video. Even if you think what you have put together is good you never really know until a number of people give their opinion. I have gotton really great feedback from the video from others as well. There are a few things I'd have liked to included and or done a little differently but most of those things were MAJOR undertakings. I am putting together "Greatest Hits" volumes for the future. Hope to get one a year done but will not rush them. We are upgrading on video equipment including editing equipment. The GH volumes will be 8-10 hunts and a like number of field practice shots like the rock shots and the reactive steel targets in the how to video. These field shots in the GH volumes I will go into alot more detail on the setup and dialing in for the shot. We hope to capture alot more of the field conditions, wind, mirage, angles, positions, etc. in these future practice shots to help with continuing education for all to see. My feeling is that there are some things you just have to see to get a good grasp of and I hope to make this available to everyone.
Thanks again for the positive feedback.

Thanks Shawn

Thanks Shawn...got my video delivered down here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia on Friday...It was opened and inspected for contraband, but the inspector couldn't speak English so I guess it slipped through.;)...
..several things I am impressed with

1) the flexibility of the Exbal program and how you build your charts and import into Excell. And how you can correct your chart based on field data

2) your fine tuned version of angle shooting...i.e. cosine X yardage vs. cos. X dope vs. Exbal

3) Your discussion re: windage and its affects across canyons and lifting the bullet
This is a very informative, practical and helpful offering!!!!!! Keep up the good work and Thanks a million! 30-338

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.