Long Range Hunting-Video (Shawn Carlock, Defensive Edge)

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
DVDWEBPHOTO.JPG

I have just got the first shipment of my Long Range Hunting "how to" videos back from the duplicator. The Long Range Hunting video is primarily a how to video focusing on the technical aspects of long range hunting. This video is a start-from-square-one long range hunting video; it has material for all skill levels of long range or potential long range hunters. There are chapters on:

• Equipment
  • Minute Of Angle
  • Trajectory
  • Wind Reading & Compensations
  • Up/Downhill Corrections
  • Drop Charts
  • Shot Logs
  • Ballistic Programs
  • Optics & Scope use
  • Range Testing
  • Trajectory Validation
  • Field Shooting Practice
  • Long-Range-Hunting-Footage including kills at 618, 752, 951, 1016 yards.
There are no commercials, no ads and no sales pitches, just a long range hunting video. It simply is a here is the equipment we use and here is how we use it kind of video.
Price is $39.95+ shipping. My online store is not quite up and running yet so direct contact will be required for a period of time at:

Mail: Defensive Edge Inc.
15670 N ranch Valley Rd.
Rathdrum Id. 83858
If you simply mail your 39.95 check or MO to me with a good mailing address I will pay the shipping to you.

Phone: 1-208-687-2659 Visa or MC

Email: [email protected] Complete mailing info
Visa or MC info
Phone # just in case

Please don't try to order from this thread, I would like it to be reserved for comments about the video and not clutter up the LRH site. I know a lot of people have been waiting for it to get finished (over 1 year) but it had to be right. Now the wait is over.

Shawn, how long is the DVD?

Does your free shipping offer include over this side of the border?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Shawn was kind enough to allow me to preview this video. I can tell you from a nuts and bolts point of view about learning how to put the right equipment together and use it correctly to be a proficent long range shooter first and hunter second, this is a great video.

I say become a great long range shooter first because that is the critical aspect of big game hunting. Most long range hunting videos tell you the cookie cutter basics, then show you animals being shot at long range like there is nothing to it at all.

Certainly it is not difficult with the correct equipment but the knowledge of using all the accessary equipment is what is lost on most of the other long range videos.

If you want to learn how to become a better long range shooter by learning from one of the best about what he uses and learn HOW and WHY he uses these items and tools, this is a great video.

Look at this video as a training course, not an entertainment video. Not that it is not entertaining, it certainly is. Anytime you can watch a 12" gong get rung at +1600 yards, that is something special to watch.

Anyway, just wanted to put out my endorsement of this video, its a good one!!! If you want to learn, probably the best one on this subject I have seen for sure.

Plus, you get to see Shawn dump a nice Black Bear at +1000 yards with a 338 ALLEN MAGNUM!!!! What could be better then that!!! (Shameless plug, sorry Shawn!!!) In all fairness, Shawn made the rifle.

Anyway, if you want to learn from one of the best and have a great reference tool for future studying of long range shooting that applies directly to long range hunting. Here is your chance.

Just want to tell Shawn thanks for letting me preview it.

Kirby Allen(50)

Slopes,

It is almost 2 hours long. The shipping is for the US. Out of country is additional shipping but I will still pay the portion that would have covered a US shipment.

Just got done watching the video... made me want to bust out the gear and head for the hills! Great job Shawn. My favorite shots were the two on the 1103 yard rock... didn't hit it either time, hey... it was only 6"x9". But, I'm sure the two 1/4 Min. misses scared the crap out of that poor rock. Can't wait to get the long range bomber put together so I can join in the 1K fun.

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information and experience with us... ~yb

Glad you liked it. On the 1103 shots you just can't hit all of them. That spot you see is where a small spring comes out of the side of the hill and the elk and deer have beat it to the dirt. Seemed like a spot a guy might want to know the shot on.

Allow me to clarify... either of those shots would have absolutely hammered a coyote, let alone a big game animal. That's why I was so impressed with those two shots, even though they were "misses". We shoot at 4" clays all the time out to about 600 yds... even with an extremely accurate rifle they are tough to hit beyond 300 yards or so. But, as long as I'm peppering them consistently... with an occasional busted clay... I know I'm inside the boiler room of any critter I care to shoot.

Another thing I truly enjoyed about the video was the way all the technical data was presented in a digestable way. Shawn did a great job presenting data, providing a situational example (often with a diagram), and then teaching how he compensates/corrects. I can see how one of his two day classes would make me a MUCH better field shooter. I'll have to get signed up for one... as soon as the LR rifle is put together.

Thanks again Shawn for a video that I'm sure I'll watch over and over... sorry if it sounded like I was razzing you for missing the rock, my intent was quite the opposite. ~yb

YB,

I hadn't taken it that way at all. Like you say very small targets are just an aiming point at really long distance. Just like the 1600 yard shots on the 12" plate in the video I miss the first shot by 2" or so and get a second round hit. The first shot would have still been a great shot on a deer or elk.

Shawn,
Saw that your video has info on MOA, is there anything on millradians and use of mil dot, or is all geared to moa? Thanks... David

David,

It is all geared toward moa and direct dialing. I had considered covering mil-dots, maximizing your duplex, various balistic reticules etc. but ended up with almost 2 hours just to cover moa and direct dialing well enough. If there was enough interest I would do a Mil-Dot volume covering the use and application of Mils. A good portion of this video is geared toward reading and correcting for various conditions in the field.

Shawn..Thanks man, don't guess there is that much difference any way..as long as you know your units...David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.