Limiting my cartridges

With the advent of scopes that can dial and track and lrfs I've really stopped seeing the point of the insane overbore stuff.
Yep, but shoot ''em if you've got 'em. My BIL has had his Wby's since before I met him I think (and my niece is 17 this summer).

I can see the point of extending your point blank range for animals like coyotes that never seem to stand still long enough to range and dial unless they are way out there. It's like cars, some people like two door convertibles and some like muscle cars. I like 'em all.

Like most folks though, I've bought into the modern cartridge theory - fast twist, moderately high velocity, high bc bullets as the way to get consistent accuracy and terminal performance. Not a lot of bullets can stand up to impact velocity over 3000 fps reliably; none of them seem to have a high bc but inside 350 yds it doesn't matter.

Yep, but shoot ''em if you've got 'em. My BIL has had his Wby's since before I met him I think (and my niece is 17 this summer).

I can see the point of extending your point blank range for animals like coyotes that never seem to stand still long enough to range and dial unless they are way out there. It's like cars, some people like two door convertibles and some like muscle cars. I like 'em all.

Like most folks though, I've bought into the modern cartridge theory - fast twist, moderately high velocity, high bc bullets as the way to get consistent accuracy and terminal performance. Not a lot of bullets can stand up to impact velocity over 3000 fps reliably; none of them seem to have a high bc but inside 350 yds it doesn't matter.
Oh no doubt!!

Hey all,

I just joined the LRH community and have been really enjoying it - thank you everyone!

I am looking to downsize my collection and shoot fewer rifles more often. I'm not thinking about anything 😜 crazy, but have realized a lot of my cartridges significantly overlap and with the cost of ammo these days and limited time I'm going to sell some rifles and ammo and put the money into rifles, ammo, and shooting courses. So, what cartridges do you currently own that you could live without? I don't my mind having more than one rifle in some cartridges to serve different purposes, but plan to limit myself to what I and my family will realistically use.

I currently have a:

17HMR
22lr
223 rem
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
243 win
6.5 creedmoor
7 RM
12 gauge

I'm planning on getting rid of the 243, 7RM, 6.8 SPC, and possibly the 223. Will probably end up keeping it, and if I can find some good gopher hunting country nearby get a really accurate varmint rifle.

I just added a Keystone Cricket in 22lr and a youth shotgun in 410 for teaching my boys. They love my 10/22's, but the length of pull is really too long for them at the moment.

I have a Gunwerks Nexus in 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC enroute which is the big impetus to sell some seldom used rifles and ammunition. Plus, I'd rather shoot than clean, maintain, store and organize rifles and ammo (I'm very particular about taking care of my things).

What would you get rid of? Do you have any cartridges that overlap too much to justify keeping both?
The 223 is COMMON, keep the Common ones!
Grendel & 6.8 could go. Keep the 7RM & 243, even keep the Needmoor ( I totally dislike the Needmoor but it's good, common, functional)

My current rifle assortment is as follows:
.280 Rem. (TC Encore)
.257 Robert's Ruger M77
.300 WSM (custom 700, will be buried w/ this)
.243 (being re-barreled to custom 7mm-08)
.280 ai (same smith as 7-08 and 300wsm)
.308 (Bergara Wilderness Ridge)
.17 HMR (Bergara BMR carbon)
.22 Ruger 10/22 (2 of these)
.22 Hornet (Ruger m77)
.250 Savage (Model 99 x's 2)
.243 Savage Model 99
3 x's 5.56 AR platforms for various activities

Been thinking of adding another 25 cal to the mix but can't make a decision b/w these three:
25-06
25-06 ai
257 Weatherby Mag
Go with the 257 Weatherby in an Accumark❗

Simplifying and upgrading are not mutually exclusive. Collectors are always looking to add something unique or collectible and will gladly add safes if needed. Shooters and hunters for the most part view rifles and handguns as tools. Many like having options even though there is some overlap. I'm in the camp of upgrading as a way of filling a perceived need to improve my options for enjoying the shooting and hunting passion. There is not one game animal I've hunted that would have not been harvested with my original Savage 30.06, but I just get a great deal of pleasure trying new things. Reloading opened the door to new things to try. Sometimes it makes it tough to move away from a particular cartridge once you have acquired piles of components, tools, and ammo for that cartridge.
06', 270, 308, 243, 6.5x55 300WM 😃😃😃 COMMON & Proven

The 223 is COMMON, keep the Common ones!
Grendel & 6.8 could go. Keep the 7RM & 243, even keep the Needmoor ( I totally dislike the Needmoor but it's good, common, functional)
I would do just the opposite. The Grendel is so much more versatile than the 223 imo.

Never. Ever. Sold a gun...just keep adding safes. My boys will appreciate it after I'm gone.

I don't own a 257 Weatherby...yet, but either that or the 25.06 would be fine choice. The 25.06ai gains you a couple hundred fps if you need that.

Hey all,

I just joined the LRH community and have been really enjoying it - thank you everyone!

I am looking to downsize my collection and shoot fewer rifles more often. I'm not thinking about anything 😜 crazy, but have realized a lot of my cartridges significantly overlap and with the cost of ammo these days and limited time I'm going to sell some rifles and ammo and put the money into rifles, ammo, and shooting courses. So, what cartridges do you currently own that you could live without? I don't my mind having more than one rifle in some cartridges to serve different purposes, but plan to limit myself to what I and my family will realistically use.

I currently have a:

17HMR
22lr
223 rem
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
243 win
6.5 creedmoor
7 RM
12 gauge

I'm planning on getting rid of the 243, 7RM, 6.8 SPC, and possibly the 223. Will probably end up keeping it, and if I can find some good gopher hunting country nearby get a really accurate varmint rifle.

I just added a Keystone Cricket in 22lr and a youth shotgun in 410 for teaching my boys. They love my 10/22's, but the length of pull is really too long for them at the moment.

I have a Gunwerks Nexus in 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC enroute which is the big impetus to sell some seldom used rifles and ammunition. Plus, I'd rather shoot than clean, maintain, store and organize rifles and ammo (I'm very particular about taking care of my things).

What would you get rid of? Do you have any cartridges that overlap too much to justify keeping both?
Welcome to the forum! We are always happy to have new members who love to shoot, love to share information about accuracy and reloading, and promote the sport of responsible shooting. Now to your post: I think it all depends on where you are financially and several other factors as if you want to keep all your gun collection or not. To your point, it costs money and time to reload several different calibers and shoot many different guns. I am of a little different opinion; however I greatly respect yours. I collect guns and once in a while I will do some "horse trading" if I have something I want to part with in order to get something new. I am jealous of your Gunwerks Nexus 6.5 PRC--OMG what a rifle! You will love that rifle and it is one fine piece of equipment. I just got a SAKO S20 Hunter with a thumbhole stock in 6.5 PRC and I cannot say enough about it. Although I'm sure it will not hang with the Gunwerks Nexus 6.5 PRC, I recently shot a 1/4 MOA group at 300 yards with factory Hornady Precision Hunter143gr ELD-X ammo at my gun club. I am in the process in working up reloads for that gun and quite frankly if I can match the accuracy of the Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X and exceed the velocity--I will be stoked. Back to your point though about parting with some rifles and getting some new ones, if you reload I use a rule of thumb when considering how many reloading components to buy. Figure the useful life of your barrel (however many shots you think that will be). Let's take your 6.5 PRC for example and say you can get 800 shots out of that barrel. Now, let's figure on how much brass you think you might need for the useful life of the barrel. Many people will give some exaggerated number of times you can reload a case. Obviously it depends on many factors: how hot your loads are; if you anneal or not, etc., etc.,. To be safe and conservative, I use a rule of thumb (for my 6.5 PRC) of a case life of 4 because I do not anneal (not yet anyway). Take your barrel useful life of 800 rounds and divide by 4 and you need at least 200 pieces of brass. Now, me personally I overkill everything and usually buy more than I need because I have the mindset that in the future our reloading components and privileges will be in jeopardy (and that might be wrong but just my opinion). So I have 500 pieces of Lapua brass for my 6.5 PRC and when I shoot that barrel out I plan on getting another 6.5 PRC. Fortunately I have been very blessed and I have had the means to start buying and securing reloading components in large volumes since 2008 (I've been reloading since 1993 but only in recent years started really picking up components as they came available) and I have enough now to last a lifetime and pass along to my son-in-law and future generations in hopes that they will like to reload and enjoy shooting. So, I totally respect your decision to slim down some (and certainly to purchase the Gunwerks Nexus 6.5 and 300 PRC rifles--wow!) and wish you all the best. Hope my info was helpful and happy shooting and keep your groups tight!

Hey all,

I currently have a:

17HMR
22lr
223 rem
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
243 win
6.5 creedmoor
7 RM
12 gauge

I too have been working to reduce my gun and ammo inventory to just those I want to keep shooting. You don't reload so stick with the rounds you can buy without searching. Keep the 22LR, 223, and the 12gauge. Dump the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, and 7RM. Choose the 243 win or 6.5 Creedmoor as they are basically equals. In my area the 6.5 Creedmoor would be my pick as ammo is available in spades; much less so for the 243. You don't mention what the rifles are, but remember with most modern production rifles you can change the stocks in a few minutes. I suggest you add youth stocks to the mix for teaching the kids; and it is much simpler than cutting down a regular stock. You are spending good money for the 6.5 and 300 PRC rifles which should cover everything else. One last point, don't be too strict on yourself when paring down. For example I am keeping three 30-30 rifles (different manufactures) just because they are practical, fun, and I like shooting & hunting with them...