Limiting my cartridges

kgarrett

Hey all,

I just joined the LRH community and have been really enjoying it - thank you everyone!

I am looking to downsize my collection and shoot fewer rifles more often. I'm not thinking about anything šŸ˜œ crazy, but have realized a lot of my cartridges significantly overlap and with the cost of ammo these days and limited time I'm going to sell some rifles and ammo and put the money into rifles, ammo, and shooting courses. So, what cartridges do you currently own that you could live without? I don't my mind having more than one rifle in some cartridges to serve different purposes, but plan to limit myself to what I and my family will realistically use.

I currently have a:

17HMR
22lr
223 rem
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
243 win
6.5 creedmoor
7 RM
12 gauge

I'm planning on getting rid of the 243, 7RM, 6.8 SPC, and possibly the 223. Will probably end up keeping it, and if I can find some good gopher hunting country nearby get a really accurate varmint rifle.

I just added a Keystone Cricket in 22lr and a youth shotgun in 410 for teaching my boys. They love my 10/22's, but the length of pull is really too long for them at the moment.

I have a Gunwerks Nexus in 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC enroute which is the big impetus to sell some seldom used rifles and ammunition. Plus, I'd rather shoot than clean, maintain, store and organize rifles and ammo (I'm very particular about taking care of my things).

What would you get rid of? Do you have any cartridges that overlap too much to justify keeping both?

I went thru same thing.
Do you reload?
I got rid of calibers not necessary cartridges for example I got rid of all .284 cal stuff and all .338. Mostly because of what ones I kept for sentimental reasons

I went thru same thing.
Do you reload?
I got rid of calibers not necessary cartridges for example I got rid of all .284 cal stuff and all .338. Mostly because of what ones I kept for sentimental reasons
No, don't reload. Would like to but work, kids, coaching hockey, and hunting fills my time. Have even read a couple of reloading manuals and Phil Massaro's intro to hand loading. From what I hear, it's a difficult time to get into handloading with the shortage of components etc. I'm planning on spending my time 'hunting' with my 6 and 9 year old instead. Main point is to make it fun for them, so likely won't need to fire to many shots at game given all the noise they'll be making šŸ¤£

Someday in maybe 5-15 years I will be downsizing too. Right now the room in my safe dictates how many I have. I just picked up my Weatherby Mark V in 280AI and although I have not shot it yet, it could be the future one-gun solution for me. I also have:
.22 LR
.22 WMR
.243 (2 each)
7mm-08 Howa Carbon Stalker (prob going to sell very soon)
6.8 Western
300 WSM
300 PRC
45-70 Govt
30-30 (sentimental family gun to never sell)

If I'm not using a rifle, I really don't see a need to hang on to things unless there is some sentimental value associated with it. Of your list, I would always want a .22lr and .223 around, just for the general lower cost and availability. The others from your list, you'll have to decide on what you see yourself using the most.

If I'm not using a rifle, I really don't see a need to hang on to things unless there is some sentimental value associated with it. Of your list, I would always want a .22lr and .223 around, just for the general lower cost and availability. The others from your list, you'll have to decide on what you see yourself using the most.
Yep, I'm with you. Really only have two sentimental guns. The Walther P-38 my grandfather brought back from WWII and the Lakefield Mark II my parents bought me when I was 8. Rode all of the country with that thing shooting squirrels and grouse. It has more than a few 'love marks'.

The rest are just tools. I've let a few go over the years, and while it's hard letting go, it's fine to try new things out. Haven't found the one rifle I'll never sell yet, will keep on looking.

Whether it be a shotgun, pistol or rifle my dad owned they'll stay forever in my family, unless my *** sister gets any and sells them! As fas as do without/not need? I have 6 kids, so there's plenty for them to decide and/or pass around. Some already state their favorites (not an issue) and some like everything. My well into the double digits AR's range from 5.56, 243win, 6.5gren, 6.5creed. 260rem, 6.5prc, 6.8spc, 300bo, 308win and other cartridges will follow are plenty to go around in the same cartridge for each of them. Some I don't shoot very much, but best to be kept as they're useful.

Hey all,

I just joined the LRH community and have been really enjoying it - thank you everyone!

I am looking to downsize my collection and shoot fewer rifles more often. I'm not thinking about anything šŸ˜œ crazy, but have realized a lot of my cartridges significantly overlap and with the cost of ammo these days and limited time I'm going to sell some rifles and ammo and put the money into rifles, ammo, and shooting courses. So, what cartridges do you currently own that you could live without? I don't my mind having more than one rifle in some cartridges to serve different purposes, but plan to limit myself to what I and my family will realistically use.

I currently have a:

17HMR
22lr
223 rem
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
243 win
6.5 creedmoor
7 RM
12 gauge

I'm planning on getting rid of the 243, 7RM, 6.8 SPC, and possibly the 223. Will probably end up keeping it, and if I can find some good gopher hunting country nearby get a really accurate varmint rifle.

I just added a Keystone Cricket in 22lr and a youth shotgun in 410 for teaching my boys. They love my 10/22's, but the length of pull is really too long for them at the moment.

I have a Gunwerks Nexus in 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC enroute which is the big impetus to sell some seldom used rifles and ammunition. Plus, I'd rather shoot than clean, maintain, store and organize rifles and ammo (I'm very particular about taking care of my things).

What would you get rid of? Do you have any cartridges that overlap too much to justify keeping both?
s-l1600.jpg

Hey all,

I currently have a:

17HMR
22lr
223 rem
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
243 win
6.5 creedmoor
7 RM
12 gauge

I recently did the same thing. I had overlap and multiple rifles in the same cartridge chambering. I sold off almost all of my factory rifles and have replaced them with customs and am much happier. Sure I have less guns but I have much better quality guns and in chambering that is I will actually use. I sold 5 rifles that I had for several year and had never even shot them.

Of your list I would narrow down to the following:

• 17HMR
  • 22lr
  • 223 rem
  • 6.5 grendel
  • 6.8 spc
  • 243 win
  • 6.5 creedmoor
  • 7 RM
  • 12 gauge
I would ditch the 17HMR in favor of the 22WMR but I prefer the 22WMR over the 17HMR. There may actually be overlap having both. 6.5G and 6.5 Creedmoor unless you are using the Grendel in a gas gun or for younger shooters.

I recently did the same thing. I had overlap and multiple rifles in the same cartridge chambering. I sold off almost all of my factory rifles and have replaced them with customs and am much happier. Sure I have less guns but I have much better quality guns and in chambering that is I will actually use. I sold 5 rifles that I had for several year and had never even shot them.

Of your list I would narrow down to the following:

• 17HMR
  • 22lr
  • 223 rem
  • 6.5 grendel
  • 6.8 spc
  • 243 win
  • 6.5 creedmoor
  • 7 RM
  • 12 gauge
I would ditch the 17HMR in favor of the 22WMR but I prefer the 22WMR over the 17HMR. There may actually be overlap having both. 6.5G and 6.5 Creedmoor unless you are using the Grendel in a gas gun or for younger shooters.
Yep, you read my mind. Fewer, but better quality guns and do my best to shoot the barrels out :).

To be fair, I'm not brave, just practical. I just bought a youth sized 22 and 410 and have a 6.5prc/300 prc switch barrel enroute. I also just reorganized my gun storage with some SecureIt Tactical wall storage and highly recommend it. That said, I'm still out of room. Makes it easier to 'downsize' when you've got new firearms enroute.

Not planning to cut to the bone, but plan to have everything zeroed and in working order at all times. I have a bad habit of swapping optics and having more bore sited rifles than properly zeroed.

I also have a thing for switch barreled rifles, just talked to a smith about getting a 6 CM barrel for my Sig Cross. Would eliminate the need for the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC as a first deer rifle for my boys. Same thing for the 243, though if one of them is fond of the tikka, they can have it. Cross weighs 8 lb 4 oz currently, but I have a Leupold ultralight 3-9x33 I can drop on it for the boys which would drop the weight by almost a pound.

Bottom line, is I made a deal with myself and told my then-wife that I would sell a firearm when ever I bought one. Haven't really lived up to that, need to make up some groundā€¦.

I think it's a great idea and I've started it myself.

I went down to:

22lr
6.5 creed
30-06
300prc(for sale)
12 gauge
20 gauge (sentimental)

I have personally found it liberating. No, there isn't the absolute perfect thing for every situation, but I have tons of ammo on deck and am shooting more than ever.

I think it's a great idea and I've started it myself.

I went down to:

22lr
6.5 creed
30-06
300prc(for sale)
12 gauge
20 gauge (sentimental)

I have personally found it liberating. No, there isn't the absolute perfect thing for every situation, but I have tons of ammo on deck and

am shooting more than ever.
This is the way.