my lr308

benchrester83

Here is my lr308 build

Dpms lower
Dpms flat top upper
Dpms a2 fixed stock
Larue APEG pistol grip
JP silent capture buffer system (standard length)
geissele SSA-E trigger
JP low mass bolt/carrier
JP rifle length adjustable gas block
Black Hole Weaponry 24" stainless steel match grade bull barrel
Troy handguard
6-9" Harris bipod.

I need a scope to equal my masterpiece. Any ideas?

I failed to mention that I plan on using my rifle for mostly bench rest shooting. Its chambered in .308 and it shoots really well so far.(I put 10 rounds through it a couple weeks ago when I mounted a cheap ncstar scope to it) the bad thing about it is my scope is so cheap that I can't tell where I'm hitting lol. I don't need it to reach out to a thousand yards. But 100-978 yards would be great. I know the rule of thumb is spend as much on your scope as you do on the rifle, but if I were to do that the wife would choke me to death in my sleep.

...but if I were to do that the wife would choke me to death in my sleep.

Either put on your big boy pants and do what you already know you should...
or
Don't tell her and do it anyway.

It's just money. If you can't afford it now, then keep stashing for a few more months and keep your cheap scope on it till you're ready.

I keep one ****** Barska around for precisely this purpose. It's good enough to test loads and get zero at 100, but other than that, it just hangs out till I have the coin to buy what the rifle deserves. Don't cheat your rifle.

You make a point. Blunt. But a point none the less. Nightforce is what I'm leaning toward. I've looked through high end leupolds and I've gotta say I like the nightforce scope. Maybe Christmas time will bring something nice.

you can do just as well with a Vortex PST, they have become my go to scope//////

Another less expensive option than the Nightforce but with just as good of glass is the Sightron SIII 8-32 x56mm with MOA-2 reticle.

Another less expensive option than the Nightforce but with just as good of glass is the Sightron SIII 8-32 x56mm with MOA-2 reticle.

I will disagree with that in a rather blunt manner.

My buddy has this exact scope and was wondering why he couldn't make shots at the targets we were shooting at.
I got behind to see if he was doing something wrong and as soon as I looked through, I thought his focus or parallax was off. I was pretty disappointed in a heads up comparison between the two. But that's just a personal opinion.

I would say that either the Bushnell ERS, G2DMR, HDMR or even the Viper PST would be a better option than the Sightron SIII. They at least offer options the NF does not.
I would not consider the NF to be an $800 improvement over some of these.

Anything over about $1500 and you start to see diminished returns. You're paying a LOT for not much extra in features or glass.
But there can be a big difference between 800-1200 optics.

you can do just as well with a Vortex PST, they have become my go to scope//////

+1 On The Viper PST. I got to put my 6-24x50 through its paces this hunting season and it never let me down. IMHO it is the best option under 1K currently on the market. Plus their warranty is second to none.

On a side note how do you like the JP buffer system? I am currently building a carbine .223 platform and was considering it over the conventional system. Your thoughts on it would be appreciated.

Benchrester

FWIW over on accurateshooter.com a fella has a Leup. LRT Premier Reticle conversion by Dick Thomas. I've had 2 of those I bought 25 yrs. ago. One is 6x MK4 that Leup. made for LE thats on my LR 308B. They only made that scope for 2 yrs. Might be worth a look.

Last edited:
The buffer system is excellent. There's remarkable improvement over the standard "bedspring" style buffer system. For one there's 80% less noise when you're pulling the charging handle back and when the gun is cycling, for two they offer multiple spring strengths so its a lot more customizable than the standard buffer and spring system. Also it reduces the felt recoil quite a bit. I'll put it this way I have a Stag arms 16" ar15 and it kicks harder than my lr308. Bottom line if you're interested, go for it. I think its worth the money but my opinion is no substitute for your own.

my simple $.02 is that the Viper PST or the Viper HSLR are great choices for the money (I have the old Viper 6.5-20X on a RRA Varminter and a LR308).

I am very interested in the JP buffer though.....what springs worked for you and does it really do away with the typical AR grind/squeak?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.