Limiting my cartridges

I applaud you self-limiting your cartridges.
While I don't discount your exhaustive time commitments, reloading is not as time consuming as one might think.
Once you have scaled the steepest part of the learning curve, you are able to produce superb ammo without much effort, and save considerable money over retail ammo costs in a short period of time.
For example, I load for twenty different rifle cartridges, nine pistol, and two shotgun gauges.
My guns are like a harem, and I will favor a few different ones for a few months, then move on to another group.
Time is my most precious commodity, but I do still find moments that I can escape to the serenity of my man cave and crank out some rounds.
If I had to buy my ammo, Lord knows I would have far fewer guns.
With time being so scarce and making my own ammo, I still manage to shoot several thousand pistol rounds, close to one thousand rifle, and over five hundred shotgun rounds per year.

I applaud you self-limiting your cartridges.
While I don't discount your exhaustive time commitments, reloading is not as time consuming as one might think.
Once you have scaled the steepest part of the learning curve, you are able to produce superb ammo without much effort, and save considerable money over retail ammo costs in a short period of time.
For example, I load for twenty different rifle cartridges, nine pistol, and two shotgun gauges.
My guns are like a harem, and I will favor a few different ones for a few months, then move on to another group.
Time is my most precious commodity, but I do still find moments that I can escape to the serenity of my man cave and crank out some rounds.
If I had to buy my ammo, Lord knows I would have far fewer guns.
With time being so scarce and making my own ammo, I still manage to shoot several thousand pistol rounds, close to one thousand rifle, and over five hundred shotgun rounds per year.
Definitely food for thought. What I should really do, is go out to my BIL's farm and help him get his reloading room set back up. He's in the same situation as me. Pool our components, and go out there 2 or 3 times a year and reload. My boys can play with their cousins while I get some reloading done.

Another good reason to simplify my firearms - to free up time, space, and money for reloading.

Hey all,

I just joined the LRH community and have been really enjoying it - thank you everyone!

I am looking to downsize my collection and shoot fewer rifles more often. I'm not thinking about anything 😜 crazy, but have realized a lot of my cartridges significantly overlap and with the cost of ammo these days and limited time I'm going to sell some rifles and ammo and put the money into rifles, ammo, and shooting courses. So, what cartridges do you currently own that you could live without? I don't my mind having more than one rifle in some cartridges to serve different purposes, but plan to limit myself to what I and my family will realistically use.

I currently have a:

17HMR
22lr
223 rem
6.5 grendel
6.8 spc
243 win
6.5 creedmoor
7 RM
12 gauge

I'm planning on getting rid of the 243, 7RM, 6.8 SPC, and possibly the 223. Will probably end up keeping it, and if I can find some good gopher hunting country nearby get a really accurate varmint rifle.

I just added a Keystone Cricket in 22lr and a youth shotgun in 410 for teaching my boys. They love my 10/22's, but the length of pull is really too long for them at the moment.

I have a Gunwerks Nexus in 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC enroute which is the big impetus to sell some seldom used rifles and ammunition. Plus, I'd rather shoot than clean, maintain, store and organize rifles and ammo (I'm very particular about taking care of my things).

What would you get rid of? Do you have any cartridges that overlap too much to justify keeping both?
The Savage Rascal is a lot better rifle than the Cricket.
As I have both for the Grand Kids.....

I went through the same thing recently. I had a bunch of different AR15 calibers purely because I had a free lower and felt the need to build something different to go on it. I probably had 9 or 10 different AR15 calibers plus all my other guns at one point. Off the top of my head I had 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster, 300blk, and 458 SOCOM, plus a few I kept. I've gone down to:

22lr (rifles and handguns)
9mm (rifle and handguns)
223 (rifles)
6.5 Creedmoor (rifles and handgun)
338 Federal (handgun)
357 Maximum (handgun)
454 Casull (handgun)
12 gauge
16 gauge

With the exception of the 16 gauge they're all general purpose guns with cheap and widely available ammo or guns I can very clearly articulate a use for. There's no holes when comparing the shooting I do to what my firearms can do, but I don't have a bunch of guns that are interchangeable.

From your list I'd keep the 22lr, 223, 12 gauge, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The rest either overlap with those or the PRCs you have coming.

I am working my way downward also :oops::

Practice rifles:
.223 Bolt (PD/varmint) and AR style. Bolt gun is a practice/target rifle to 500 yds. I don't often shoot high volume in the other rifles as most are purpose built
6 CM 105 gr PD/varmint rifle and is a practice/target rifle to 900 yds (that's all the space I have for a range).
260 heavy barrel-practice/target rifle to 900 yds.

Purpose built:
22 LR because EVERYONE must own at least one
22 WMR simply because it is a PD/varmint rifle and I have one that shoots factory 30 gr V-Max bug holes at 100 yds
22-250 (PD/varmint rifle) 8 twist. Shoots 55 gr to 80 gr. Shot the 55 gr factory ammo like crap, pulled and reseated, ran seating test and now 1/2" with factory 55s.
6.5-284 8 twist 140 class bullets-speed goats Bone stock Savage 116 that is 1/2" to 3/4" MOA at 900 yds.
.270 for white tail and because that is my favorite caliber and I have a semi custom that is awesome. Barnes 129 LRX lazer!
Custom 7 SS 8 twist shoots up to 195, but I am only loading for 168 and 175 Berger. All around hunting caliber, IMO. May add a switch barrel in 30SS.
That would render the 28 N as being covered for the most part except for the f.p.s.!!!
Custom 28 Nosler- throated for the 195 EOL at just over 3000 fps and the 169 Hammer Hunter at 3200 fps, likely re-barrel to 300 WM or 300 PRC or a Sherman of some sort. 210+ bullets. Elk/Moose/Bear/Nilgai rifle
308 Ruger American 20" truck rifle. 168 FGMM or 168 A-Max handloads are the ticket!
Marlin 1895 45-70 325 FTX-because I am an idiot and it will whallop a South Texas Nilgai at 100 yds!

Last edited:
Someday in maybe 5-15 years I will be downsizing too. Right now the room in my safe dictates how many I have. I just picked up my Weatherby Mark V in 280AI and although I have not shot it yet, it could be the future one-gun solution for me. I also have:
.22 LR
.22 WMR
.243 (2 each)
7mm-08 Howa Carbon Stalker (prob going to sell very soon)
6.8 Western
300 WSM
300 PRC
45-70 Govt
30-30 (sentimental family gun to never sell
I had the same issue with my safe dictating how many gun I could have, I fixed the problem temporarily by purchasing another safe. I'm starting to feel like my storage is running out again. Time to go look at safes again

I had the same issue with my safe dictating how many gun I could have, I fixed the problem temporarily by purchasing another safe. I'm starting to feel like my storage is running out again. Time to go look at safes again
That is the other way to solve the problem. I just added storage with secure it tactical wall panels and am still out of space.

I think firearms are like pets: if you don't have enough time to spend with them all, you should let them go to a family where they'll get the love and attention they deserve.

That is the other way to solve the problem. I just added storage with secure it tactical wall panels and am still out of space.

I think firearms are like pets: if you don't have enough time to spend with them all, you should let them go to a family where they'll get the love and attention they deserve.
When you are ready to give them away to a good home where your guns will be loved and given the attention they deserve let us know I'm sure there will be open doors lol

This thread ranks right up there as one of the most depressing ones I've read! I thread on getting rid of firearms :eek:

I've had these horrible thoughts before too as I run out of room in safes and seem to only have time to shoot certain ones. It really is an addiction, however, there could be worse ones. My $.02 is to just keep them. Of the ones listed, I'd let the 6.8 and 243 go.

It's all about why.

If you're selling firearms to practice more and buy more ammo for the ones you have you are just making yourself a better shooter. If you have excess cash and space do whatever, but if it at all limits your shooting why have extra stuff you don't use?

there are so many people I know with guns they never shoot that complain about not having the money for ammo or a full custom or something else. They are wrong, they the money is right there.

Like the people with 6 psa ARs instead of one Colt/LMT/KAC/DD and 3k rounds.

I would wait and see on some .The 243 was my starter rifle from my fatherl and I passed it down to my son.We both shot our fist bulls with it.Now he has a son.If the children have interest in them, maybe keep some for them or sell them at that time.Im a long time reloader and shooter, but life and getting components, has limited me.We have 3- larger 338's in our family and they are harder to keep up with.

Yep, I'm with you. Really only have two sentimental guns. The Walther P-38 my grandfather brought back from WWII and the Lakefield Mark II my parents bought me when I was 8. Rode all of the country with that thing shooting squirrels and grouse. It has more than a few 'love marks'.

The rest are just tools. I've let a few go over the years, and while it's hard letting go, it's fine to try new things out. Haven't found the one rifle I'll never sell yet, will keep on looking.
I personally see no reason to get rid of any firearm. They eat nothing. And only need a little TLC occasionally. I have sold & traded in the past & regretted doing so every time.

I personally see no reason to get rid of any firearm. They eat nothing. And only need a little TLC occasionally. I have sold & traded in the past & regretted doing so every time.
I did regret selling my Kimber LPT 223. Was the first real tack driver I ever had. It was one of those guns that shot so well you could always tell if you pulled a shot, great rifle to learn marksmanship with.

Like many, I went searching for a semiauto as accurate as a bolt rifle. Still looking… there's some very accurate ones out there but on average bolt actions are just more accurate and consistent IMO. Probably easier to shoot well too.

But this isn't a sad thread, it's about freeing up time and resources for shooting, hunting, and spending time with the next generation. I come from a line of hoarders, trying to break the habit and collect experiences, not things.