My .260 Build

100 amax I'm gren clocked 2745 with 30 grn tac, 30.5 was 2781 and 31 was right at 2800. I settled on 30.5 as single didget sd . All grouped fine and no pressure signs on brass. Long barrel is your friend. :)

I use 42 grains of H4350 123 amaxs c.o.a.l 2.800. Lilja 20 " barrel with an adjustable gas block. Lb 308 brass necked down. No pressure signs at 2720 fps. Very accurate. Start at 38 grains.

So I have all my pieces and I go to put them together. Then I run into a major issue. The OD of the BHW barrel is 1.204 near the chamber area. The diameter of the barrel retaining nut that came with the JP Enterprises tube is 1.210. The inside diameter of the tightening tool for it is 1.160. Finally, the ID of the jam nut to align the tube is 1.160 as well!

So what it comes down to is that I can't put on the tube and get it to line up right. I am torn between having the barrel turned down to 1.1 or expanding the holes in the jam nut and tightening tool to 1.21. I don't know if I can do the latter with the set screws where they are.

I have sent emails to both BHW and JP Ent and am awaiting their replies on this matter.

weird, I have a very heavy barrel on my Grendel that uses the .936 block and it does not have an issue, but I used a different tube- though an ultra thin one. See what the barrel man says - weird. Is the guard designed for ar10?

45 grn of vittn160 under 140 berger vld rocks in my bolt 260 to the tune of 2820fps with es of 6 and sd of 3. Might not get there with an ar, but it is another powder to consider when you do get it all together. This in a 1/8 criterion 24" barrel. Food for thought to keep your spirits up

Well, both JP Enterprises and BHW came through in a big way for me.

BHW offered to take all my parts, make them fit right and even test fire it. All this for the cost of shipping! I was amazed. I expected at most them to offer to turn the barrel down.

JP then emailed me and said they already had new parts enroute (jam nut and barrel nut tool) that were made for this problem. They usually dealt with light weight barrels. The 1.2 diameter barrel is a standard, but not for those ordering from them in general.

In all I should have done more research before ordering. I never looked at what the standard diameter 308 AR barrel is right there. JP states their standard only fits up to a 1.17 barrel, so they were honest. BHW makes their barrels to a standard 1.2.

Still seeing two companies going the distance for their customers is a refreshing change these days. I have now decided who I will be ordering from in the future and recommending to anyone building any AR.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.