Least accurate gun

Mr.Moa

Ok i would have put this on one of my other post but decide to just start a new thread. Anybody can admit his best shooting gun because their pround of it but of any gun you've owned what has giving you the worst accuracy. Mine was a ruger pc 40 40 s&w. The gun itself was pretty cool, rugged, and i love ruger. But the trigger pull was just terrible. cocked and off safety you could hang the gun on your figger by the trigger and it wouldn't go off. worst trigger i have felt on any gun. Trigger pull must have been 10+lbs. Now it could have got a trigger job and been really fun to shoot but it had some jamming issues. So with the trigger problem making good groups impossible and jams the gun was sold and replace by a ruger mini 30 that hasnt jammed and has a ok trigger for a plinker. What gun of your have giving you problems like this? this should be interesting so please man up and admit it :D

I had one of those guns one. My worst shooting gun was a Ruger mark11 30-06. I got it for a graduation present. At best factory ammo would group 6 inches at 100.

Hands down. Browning BAR 300 win mag. Belgium made. Patterns not groups. 5 inch three shot groups at 100 yards. Best I ever got from that gun was 3.5 inches at 100. Needless to say it didn't last in my safe.

Sako 75 300 WSM. Shoots patterns not groups. Have played with loads and everything imaginable for many years. Ive had buddys who are accomplished shooters give it a whirl and the same results. So off to Sulli it goes for a new barrel or whatever he finds. I wouldnt buy another one if it was half the price. ***. I have buddies with Remingtons straight off the shelf and half the price that shoot circles around that rifle.

Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 338 Win with Boss. 2.5 inches at 100 with every load I could find. Sold it to my uncle, who was convinced that I didn't spend enought time on it and he had similar results. He then replaced it with a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 338 Win without Boss. Same results.

Bed the stock, all kinds of loads, check the scope........junk both times.

Sweet little Barnard "P" single-shot action, with nice bedded stock, and a custom Bartlein 9 twist 30" barrel, chambered in long-throated 7WSM for the Berger 180s...

I left it sit in the garage on a bipod one day; after my wife ran it over with her car, it wouldn't hold 5 MOA, and it shot 12 MOA to the right...

JeffVN

I had Howa 1500 T-Hole Sporter in 308 which shot 6" groups at 100 yards... Gunshop I bought it from send it for repairs to LegacySports the wait was few months and I didn't want to wait it was brand new rifle, so the owner refund me and I never looked back at Howa again.

Last edited:
Kimber 8400 Montana. Although I've never owned one (and I never intend to), I've seen several that just wouldn't shoot. They were the hip factory sheep rifle when I lived in Alaska. I saw guys with them at the range and had a couple close friends that had them in various calibers. The 100 yard groups were frustrating to say the least. These guys went to great lengths to make hits at 300 yards and never did it consistently. Handloads, factory loads, it didn't matter.

One guy I know sent one out for a Lilja rebarrel and action work. After another $750 into his rifle, it came back shooting the way a $1200 box rifle should have shot in the first place.

I had a Weatherby Mark V 240WM.
3 shot groups hovered around 1.5" @100yds.
I tried everything from handloads to floating the barrel before I got rid of it.

My dad has a Weatherby Mark V 270WM.
It's about a 1.5 MOA rifle.
It just sits in the safe and nobody's ever looked at why it won't do better.

Two Ruger .44-40 Vaqueros, hands down no comparison. Wouldn't stay on an 8.5x11" sheet of paper at 25 yards out of a Ransom Rest. Turns out that Ruger did something sensible in barreling these guns, using the .429" barrels that have long since become standard for the 44 Special, 44 Mag, etc., instead of the .425"-.427" barrels originally found in the .44-40s. Problem is, they didn't modify the chamber mouths; they left them at .425". So, you have a .429" diameter bullet, swaging down into a .425" chamber mouth, and then rattling down a .429" barrel. When I checked the dimensions and found this, I called Ruger about the problem and suggested they change the chamber mouths to match the barrels. Got told repeatedly by their reps that "it was within specs." Yeah, I know, but the specs need to be changed. "I'm sorry, but they're within spec."

Bill Atkinson of their AZ plant was kind enough to ream the chamber mouths out to bullet diameter, and they shot fine after that. Ironically enough, when I told him what was going on, he just shook his head and said "I told them that, over and over."

Sold them not too long after that, and have never bought a Ruger since.

Mine is a ruger no. 1 in 270win with a short barrel. Shoots a consistent 3-4" 100yrd groups. It is getting rebuilt to a 7-08ai. Hopefully it will shoot significantly better.

One of my friends were buying a 38 pistol and took it out to try it for accuracy. We all took turns trying to shoot a can at 50 feet or so and kept missing... To make a long story short, I finally tried shooting the ground a few feet in front of me and noticed the bullet hit downrange. It was probably shooting 30' high at 50 '.
I couldn't see anything wrong with the barrel but it surely had something wrong with it.

My most inaccurate firearm is my 22 derringer. The furthest I can hit my 8x8" target is 30 yards. It has a 25lbs. trigger pull.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.